NAB AFLW Round Four – Updated Fixture

Thursday, January 27STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. FremantleVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:40pm5:40pm
Friday, January 28
GWS GIANTS vs. Western BulldogsHenson Park (NSW) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
St. Kilda vs. West Coast EaglesSkyBus Stadium (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm
Saturday, January 29
Adelaide Crows vs. MelbourneNorwood Oval (SA) (Seven)3:10pm2:40pm
Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong CatsMaroochydore Multi Sports Complex (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Sunday, January 30
Carlton vs. KangaroosIkon Park (VIC) (Seven)3:10pm3:10pm
Gold Coast SUNS vs. RichmondMetricon Stadium (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Additional Matches*
Tuesday, February 1STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. West Coast EaglesVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
Western Bulldogs vs. FremantleWhitten Oval (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm

The scheduled Round Six match between Collingwood and the West Coast Eagles and the scheduled Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle will be played on Tuesday, February 1.

AFL General Manager Competition Management Laura Kane said while the ongoing pandemic continues to impact the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Competition, the AFL remains committed to delivering a full season in a safe manner anchored in the advice of respective governments and public health officials.

“We remain committed to completing the season and awarding a Premier and the updates to the fixture aim to provide the competition with greater flexibility as we progress the season,” Ms. Kane said.

“The decision to schedule additional matches to the fixture for Fremantle and the West Coast Eagles was made in close consultation and with strong support from each Club following updates to border restrictions relating to Western Australia.

“We remain cognisant of the outside-football commitments of many players and staff from WA who are currently on the road in Victoria, and we thank them for their commitment and understanding.

“The league will continue to work closely with each club and the AFLPA, and will remain led by the advice of respective state governments and relevant health authorities as we work through arrangements for the coming rounds. I want to thank the AFLPA for working with us to provide the flexibility required to progress the season.

“Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs will participate in the additional games with the Magpies to have a five-day break between their Round Four game and their match-up against the Eagles next Tuesday night. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are ready to return for Round Four after two weeks of no matches due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

“For the time being, the fixture remains a week-to-week proposition, and as such, we want to thank every AFLW Club, players and the AFLPA, umpires, venues, governments, ticketing agents and all supporters for their understanding.”

Ticketing Update
  • For supporters who have purchased tickets to matches in Round Four, those tickets remain valid. The Ticketing Agent will be in contact should any ticket purchaser wish to receive a refund.
  • Details of ticketing for the additional matches - Collingwood vs. West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle – will be released separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a nuance to it, but if you remember when Folau posted to social media and next to nobody saw it who didn't agree with him only for a journalist to find that, recognise the scandal it would cause, and then stick it on the front page of the news to offend and cause pain to as many people as possible while they bathed in the clout?

That might also be happening here

Therefore, if the AFLW deregister her for not playing in a rainbow guernsey, then it is a symbol that Muslims cannot play in the league
Muslims can't wear rainbow-coloured garments? Is that in the Qu'ran?
If there was an image of two females participating in a sexual act depicted on the guernsey then fair enough, but it's literally just some colours.
Are Muslims able to purchase packets of 5 Flavour Life Savers that are sold in rainbow packaging?

Wow. That's some seriously deluded logic.
The AFLW can support Muslims without Muslims conversely offending half of the leagues players.
It takes two to tango, and you're coming across as selfish.
Selfish? Don’t make me laugh. You say it takes two to tango but you’re asking the Muslim to go against their Religion just so they can wear a rainbow guernsey for one or two matches per year. It takes two to tango, but this is not a tango.

If a Muslim supports the legalisation of gay marriage and other LGBTQ practices AND knows that Islam states those practices are unlawful, then they would no longer be a Muslim even if they wear Islamic attire and claim to be one. Even if they were to return to Islam, they’d have lost every reward they’ve ever gained and will have to start building it back up from the beginning. That goes with falling into anything else that is blasphemy and not just this topic.

The rainbow flag literally represents things like legalising/accepting gay marriage and other LGBTQ practices. It represents beliefs that are against Islam and takes one out of Islam. Why in the world would Zreika, someone who takes her Religion serious enough to align her beliefs with it, then wear those colours? Of course she wouldn’t. She’s not going to compromise her beliefs even if it “offends half the league”. To her and the rest of us, the gravity of offending half the league, or half the office, or half the Melbournian twitter users does not compare to the gravity of compromising our own beliefs. I’d rather live poor and be beaten up every single day by non-Muslims if that’s what it took to live my life as a Muslim

So some people really think that I, Zreika, or other Muslims would really give up all the rewards for the days we spent hungry and thirsty to fast, all the time we spent praying in the hot days and cold nights, all the time we spent reciting the Qur’aan just to make people that don’t even believe what we believe in not hate us??? No way in any part of this world and for any group will I do that.

Zreika knows exactly what’s at stake, which is why I’m proud of the decision she made. She doesn’t want to risk what she worked for just to gain acceptance from people that probably have bad things to say about her Religion anyway. It’s just not worth it.

If the AFLW says they’re supporting Muslims but at the same time deregistering Zreika for sticking to core principles they believe in, then they are literally not supporting Muslims. They’re just saying that to use our name for virtue signalling.

I think it’s unlikely that she will be deregistered, but if that’s the route the AFLW wants to go, then I simply won’t support them. I really like watching the league but just won’t look beyond an action like that. If the AFL does the same, then I won’t follow them anymore either.

And before anyone says it, I know the AFLW and its community don’t need my support to continue operating as a league. I’m not suggesting that the league will collapse without me.

Muslims can't wear rainbow-coloured garments? Is that in the Qu'ran?
If there was an image of two females participating in a sexual act depicted on the guernsey then fair enough, but it's literally just some colours.
Are Muslims able to purchase packets of 5 Flavour Life Savers that are sold in rainbow packaging?
Do you really think it’s about the rainbow colours? Muslims can wear rainbow. They just can’t wear rainbow to support LGBTQ. They’re asking Zreika to wear rainbow in support of LGBTQ, which she declined to do.

Do you really think it’s about the rainbow colours? Muslims can wear rainbow. They just can’t wear rainbow to support LGBTQ. They’re asking Zreika to wear rainbow in support of LGBTQ, which she declined to do.
That's the problem with religion. It's hypocritical.
Being Muslim doesn't mean you can just walk around being a campaigner to everyone.

Would the LGBTQI players be within their rights to refuse to play in an Islamic Inclusive round?

Should they expect to lose their jobs for respectfully not being available for a politically signalling exercise?

Everyone has the right to do it.
But they are allowed to be called out on it.
Also, I would doubt any/many would refuse to play in an Islamic Inclusive round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too.
However we are dealing with the actual issue here, not a hypothetical 'both sides' debate.

Well the next step of it is, what happens if prominent members of your community start applying pressure? What happens if let's say Magda gets on The Project and says that anyone who is LGBTQI in the AFLW can't truly stand for the values and take part in the Islam Inclusivity round knowing how Islam treats people like them in some other places on the planet.

Let's say she isn't the only voice.

Can you blame any of the women for feeling like being excluded from their world might be too high a price to pay for a game of football?

That's the comparison. It's not trying to both sides it because this isn't two equal sides. Religion will not beat LGBT under any circumstances.

Would the LGBTQI players be within their rights to refuse to play in an Islamic Inclusive round?

Should they expect to lose their jobs for respectfully not being available for a politically signalling exercise?
Why would they do that though? That's just ridiculous.
They got no imaginary friend telling them they can't associate with a group of people.

It's never going to happen, so you are talking needless antagonistic conjecture.

And unlike Folau, she never went out publicly slagging off Gays with biblical scripture, saying they are burning in hell.

Some people here are making an needless Mountain of a molehill over this.

I am sure most of the GWS players, even the gay ones, are much more mature and rational about this, then the people offended by this.

Well the next step of it is, what happens if prominent members of your community start applying pressure? What happens if let's say Magda gets on The Project and says that anyone who is LGBTQI in the AFLW can't truly stand for the values and take part in the Islam Inclusivity round knowing how Islam treats people like them in some other places on the planet.

Can you blame any of the women for feeling like being excluded from their world might be too high a price to pay for a game of football?

That's the comparison. It's not trying to both sides it because this isn't two equal sides. Religion will not beat LGBT under any circumstances.
It's a stupid comparison. Because no one would ever do or say that.

It's a stupid comparison. Because no one would ever do or say that.

Taylor is talking like a phobe themselves. An Islamaphobe.

Bigotry against Religion is what led to the Holocaust and Muslims are victims of genocide in Myanmar and China these days, which is conveniently forgetten in these type of debates.

I am also fine with a player (of any gender) refusing to play in an Anzac Day Game or round out of moral objections to war.

This specific ssue is nowhere near as black and white/clear-cut as it seems.

This specific ssue is nowhere near as black and white/clear-cut as it seems.

That's the entire point I'm trying to make. External factors are far more influential here than people are seeing. For all the applause someone gets for taking the right position on a social issue nobody is there if their family disagree enough to send them packing.

It's why people stick around in cults, it's why cults shun people that leave. It's really powerful to threaten someone's community.

So if she felt her connection to her community was at risk then she made the right choice.

I haven't seen any comment from the club or the player over it, I don't think either are trying to make anything of this.

Religion won't beat LGBT?
Huh??

Religion won't beat LGBT?
Huh??

If there is a tent that welcomes all the non western, straight, white people that could see themselves not represented by a mainstream culture or system then there is no room for religion in there if it conflicts with LGBT positions.

Religion is a relic of the past in social issue world.

That's the entire point I'm trying to make. External factors are far more influential here than people are seeing. For all the applause someone gets for taking the right position on a social issue nobody is there if their family disagree enough to send them packing.

It's why people stick around in cults, it's why cults shun people that leave. It's really powerful to threaten someone's community.

So if she felt her connection to her community was at risk then she made the right choice.

I haven't seen any comment from the club or the player over it, I don't think either are trying to make anything of this.

That is not fair to speculate on whether she was pressured by family or significant religious influences in her life to make thay decision imo.

I do think she should have played, but by the same.token, I think it's insulting to suggest she has been brainwashed by a cult.

Incidentally it's good that sporting bodies like the AFL, AFLW and English Premier Soccer with their rainbow laces campaign, are actively doing their bit to be inclusive to everyone and stamp out homo and transphobia, I support that 110 percent, but some players in England, like Mezut Ozil, now playing in Turkey, have been blacklisted for speaking out against the genocide of Muslims in Mynamar.

Dispute/Disagree with her decision not to play (as I say, I think it would have been better for her community if she played) but let's not try make clinched and unhelpful and likely wrong about Islam and her family and reasons not to play.

Education and Tolerance is the key, hopefully Haneen will feel comfortable to play in a Pride Game, if not next season, than the one other, but she is less likely to do so if (as an Aussie society) keep badgering her and her family and culture.

That's the problem with religion. It's hypocritical.
Being Muslim doesn't mean you can just walk around being a campaigner to everyone.
She’s not being a campaigner to everyone.

She’s sitting out a football game. It’s not physically or mentally hurting anyone else.

Plenty of religious sportsmen and women have sat out various events in their life.

Ever watched Chariots of Fire? One of the best movies of all time.

It's not a Muslim issue, it's a Zreika issue, hiding behind faith.
Plenty of Muslims are LGBTIQA, plenty of Muslims support these groups.
And plenty of muslims follow a more strict code.

Luckily she lives in a society that allows such choices, and accepts all types within the laws of the land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back