Women's Footy AFLW 2022 - Alyce Parker named in AA Squad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
They are no different within the Muslim religion. Both are equally forbidden.

This is not about what you or I think; it's about what the Muslim religion tells its adherents.

I'm sure Haneen has had to make some religious compromises thus far to play AFL and rugby league - no hijab, uncovered legs and arms. I would think that she's pushed the tolerance within her own community ... and wearing the pride jersey would seem to be just a step too far.

I don't want to descend into a more fundamental debate on religion; the bottom line for me is simply tolerance for others' beliefs. (Yes, there are limits in my mind, but this case is nowhere near those.) The world is a complex place and sometimes the result is not warm and fuzzy.

Hey, we made the news on SBS tonight. How often does that happen on SBS, where soccer rules?

They said Haneen was considered a role model for the Muslim community. And the Grand Mufti of Australia even weighed in.

All this fuss, because a practicing Muslim refused to go along with the views of the club, the rest of the team, and I suspect, most everyone else in the community.

Neither the AFL, or the Giants, provided a comment.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
OK, some stats from that game.

GWS 7.1.43
Bulldogs 2.10.22

GWS goals: Barr 3, Stephenson 2, Staunton 1, Doyle 1. We kicked straight for once!

First ever goal to Nicola Barr ... quickly followed by #s 2 & 3 (in her 34th game). She'll be MVG; had an outstanding game playing forward.
Jessica Doyle another good mark (presented strongly for a F50 pass from Barr) and kicked truly for 2 goals from 2 games.
Alyce Parker another enormous effort in the middle. Alicia Eva tackled herself to a standstill.
Third gamer Em Pease had a great game too, with 7 enormous contested possessions and great disposal efficiency.

I see Georgina Fowler also made her debut, a late replacement for Georgia Garnett who was a late out with her second bout of COVID.

Overall stats, we were second in most categories, except kicking efficiency which really helped us tonight.

Team stats.png

GWS 1.png

GWS 2.png

GWS 3.png

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I only saw the second half thanks to work, but theffort from both teams was good, I don't recall the last time the women won a game based on straight kicking, so the new look fwd line worked!
Let's hope the boys learned something about kicking straight...

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

GIANTS 3.0 5.1 5.1 7.1 (43)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.4 1.4 2.8 2.10 (22)

GOALS

GIANTS:
Barr 3, Stephenson 2, Staunton, Doyle
Western Bulldogs: Cranston, Blackburn

BEST

GIANTS:
Barr, Parker, Eva, Pease, Grierson
Western Bulldogs: Brown, Cranston, Blackburn, Fitzgerald

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

No matter how they spin it, the message is clear; it's OK for relgious people to discriminate against gay people.

Not happy with this type of messaging.
She handled it a hell of a lot better Folau’s rubbish.

But yes it’s again a case of a cult being allowed to discriminate.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Zreika played last week against North Melbourne - which was also “Pride Round”, albeit one in which we didn’t play in our “pride jumper” - so her issue is not Pride Round per-se, it was the overt display of wearing the lgbtiq+ colours embedded prominently in the jumper.

that‘s a long way from hate - as one interloper to our board has accused her of.

She has had gay team mates since the day she arrived at the club, she has never had an issue getting around them when they do something good, they have never had an issue getting around her when she does.

support can be personal - it doesn’t have to be public.

it is also interesting that they didn’t just say “tight hamstring” or include her with the amorphous “covid protocols” as an out. both she and the club have been honest and open about it.

also, there are two sides to any coin - “She should be sacked for not wearing the jumper, look how intolerant she is” can be equally flipped onto its head with “look at how poorly the club is treating this woman forcing her to wear that jumper against her wishes, how intolerant are they”

anyway….

WE WON AND SMACKED THE DOGS IN THE PROCESS!!! WOO-HOO!!!

that was a real good game.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Zreika played last week against North Melbourne - which was also “Pride Round”, albeit one in which we didn’t play in our “pride jumper” - so her issue is not Pride Round per-se, it was the overt display of wearing the lgbtiq+ colours embedded prominently in the jumper.
She also played in last year's without any issue.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs
9 Nicola Barr (GWS)
7 Alyce Parker (GWS)
5 Alicia Eva (GWS)
3 Eleanor Brown (WB)
3 Kirsty Lamb (WB)
2 Louise Stephenson (GWS)
1 Annalyse Lister (GWS)

Leaderboard

32 Ashleigh Riddell NMFC
30 Hayley Miller FRE
28 Anne Hatchard ADEL
27 Kiara Bowers FRE
24 Monique Conti RICH
23 Alicia Eva GWS
23 Jaimee Lambert COLL
21 Erin Phillips ADEL
19 Emily Bates BL
18 Maddy McMahon GEEL
18 Orla O'Dwyer BL
16 Tyla Hanks MELB
16 Amy McDonald GEEL
16 Alyce Parker GWS

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
:oops:

The GIANTS’ round five fixture against St Kilda at Henson Park will not proceed as planned under the AFL’s Health and Safety Protocols.

Following on from five players being unavailable for Friday night’s win against the Dogs, additional players and staff have now been ruled out of the upcoming round five match and will be unavailable for a minimum of seven days.

The AFL’s Covid Match Rescheduling guidelines state that if a club is unable to meet the minimum requirements of 16 primary listed players and five top-up players the game will be rescheduled.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

No matter how they spin it, the message is clear; it's OK for relgious people to discriminate against gay people.

Not happy with this type of messaging.
Very true, so can you be racist and say sorry it's my religion not to like anyone that does not look like me. that would be crap

2022 AFLW - Round 6 v Melbourne Demons
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Match Details

Demons v GIANTS
Saturday, January 12 at 4:10pm (AEDT) Casey Fields

Tickets

Tickets will be on sale this Thursday from 12pm AEDT.

Team Selection

The GIANTS will name their final team on Friday at 5:30pm at giants.afl.

Last Time They Met: The last time these two sides met was in the heartbreaking 2020 semi-final. It was the first final series for the GIANTS, with the match played at GIANTS Stadium in front of an empty stadium as the effects of COVID started to impact the world. The GIANTS led by 14 points heading into the final quarter but three goals to the Demons in the final term, the third with 25 seconds remaining, saw the GIANTS’ premiership hopes crushed by a 3-point margin.

What it Means for the GIANTS: The GIANTS sit just outside the top six, one win behind those teams placed fifth to eighth. After having to postpone their round five match due to the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols, the GIANTS will be looking to return to the competition in the same form that saw them record a thrilling victory over the Western Bulldogs.

Where’s the Opposition at: The Dees returned to the winners list in round five, defeating the Gold Coast Suns by 12 points. They currently sit third on the ladder, having dropped just the one game to the Adelaide Crows who are currently the only undefeated team.

The Number: 15 – it will have been 15 days since the GIANTS last took to the footy field for competition points. The GIANTS last played in round four which resulted in a thrilling 21-point win over the Bulldogs at Henson Park.

In the Mix: The GIANTS have now played every fit and available on their 2022 playing list, with 29 players having had their chance to impress Alan McConnell. The GIANTS last played in round four, with Rebecca Privitelli, Chloe Dalton, Katie Loynes, Georgia Garnett, Pepa Randall and Haneen Zrekia all out while Georgie Fowler, Brodee Mowbray, Casidhe Simmons and Jas Grierson debuted in the team’s impressive performance.

TV & Online: The match will be broadcast live from 4pm(AEDT) on 7Mate as well as Foxtel, Kayo and the Official AFLW App.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Alan McConnell has been dealt one of his toughest team selections ahead of the GIANTS’ return to action against the Demons on Saturday with almost a full suite of players to select from. The GIANTS last played in round four, recording one of the club’s greatest wins against the Bulldogs without seven regular players due to the AFL’s Health and Safety Protocols and including four club debutants. The round five match-up against the Saints was cancelled, with the GIANTS unable to field a team.

McConnell and the coaching staff have included Chloe Dalton, Katie Loynes, Pepa Randall, Rebecca Privitelli and Haneen Zreika in the round six team.

First-gamers Georgia Fowler, Brodee Mowbray and Casidhe Simmons have all been omitted following the round four win, whilst Erin Lorenzini (omitted) and Lisa Steane (rested) are also out. Tait Mackrill and Georgia Garnett have also not been selected after missing the GIANTS’ last match due to the AFL’s Health and Safety Protocols.

Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney at Casey Fields, 4.10pm AEDT

MELBOURNE

B:
L.Birch 9 G.Colvin 32
HB: S.Goldrick 23 S.Lampard 8 S.Heath 30
C: L.Mithen 14 T.Hanks 5 E.McNamara 22
HF: S.Scott 12 K.Hore 10 M.Fitzsimon 24
F: D.Pearce C 6 T.Harris 7
Foll: L.Pearce 15 K.Paxman 4 E.Zanker 29
I/C: L.Magee 26 E.West 11 M.Caris 21 J.Parry 19 A.Bannan 16

Emerg: B.Tarrant 20 A.Brown 28

In: T.Hanks
Out: C.Sherriff (injured)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
J.Grierson 10 B.Stack 15
HB: A.Lister 14 P.Randall 21 T.Hetherington 9
C: E.Pease 33 A.Parker 3 K.Smith 4
HF: R.Privitelli 19 C.Staunton 13 J.Doyle 5
F: L.Stephenson 12 N.Barr 8
Foll: E.McKinnon 23 A.Eva C 2 K.Loynes 7
I/C: L.Graham 37 A.Dallaway 30 C.Dalton 11 H.Zreika 24 A.Morphett 22

Emerg: L.Steane 20 E.Lorenzini 25

In: P.Randall, R.Privitelli, K.Loynes, C.Dalton, H.Zreika
Out: E.Lorenzini (omitted), G.Fowler (omitted), B.Mowbray (omitted), C.Simmons (omitted), L.Steane (rested)

Back