Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Profile-McWilliams.png

SELECTION: Priority Player Selection
STATE: VIC
CLUB: St Kilda Sharks

Phoebe McWilliams is one of the GIANTS’ three Victorian priority players. She is another key position player who has played for the St Kilda Sharks for 10 years. The 31-year-old is known for her skills up forward but can also be sent back to help out in defence. She is a freelance writer who has previously worked for the Melbourne Cricket Club.

GIANTS’ AFL Women’s player Phoebe McWilliams wrote this piece for Swoop on the Daily Telegraph as part of their 2017 International Women’s Day celebrations.

The motto for this year’s International Women’s Day is ‘Be Bold For Change’. As a female AFL player, I have experienced a lot of change throughout the past year.

I am now paid to play the sport I love, I get access to elite facilities and coaches and get to play at some of the best grounds across the country.

Read more at http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-03-08/changing-attitudes

More in the link below;

GWS Giants star Phoebe McWilliams loving life after settling back in Sydney

GWS Giant Phoebe McWilliams is an Elwood local.
So when she moved north ahead of the first AFLW season, lodging with four other players in a house near Bankstown, in western Sydney, it was a bit of a shock.
“It was challenging,” McWilliams said.

“Not only moving to a different state, but also playing in a new competition.

“Leaving family, leaving friends, I got quite homesick.”

So this season when the 32-year-old freelance journalist moved back to NSW in November ahead of the pre-season, she found her own pad in Cronulla.
She has the beach and good coffee nearby, some chooks and cats and she doesn’t find the 45-minute drive to training inhibiting.

“I sort of mirrored what I do at home, up here,” she said.

“I’m just a lot happier outside of footy. I’ve just got so much more energy to take to footy rather than being homesick and a bit drained.”

And her football is certainly flourishing.

McWilliams kicked three goals in Round 1, putting her at the top of the goalkicking table alongside another power forward, Western Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/b34ebf0f0b450f3f090eaeb186ba6ed3

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...s/news-story/c0d317b16d902e7593989ac23c7001d4

IT’S half-time.
The feeling inside the Giants’ change rooms is largely upbeat.

After trailing by 14 points at the first change, Alan McConnell’s team has used the breeze to its advantage to lead by three points. Collingwood’s momentum has been arrested. The game is now on the visitor’s terms.

Yet lying on the ground in stark contrast to much of her teammates is a despondent Phoebe McWilliams. The GWS forward had thrown herself at every contest, but nothing was sticking.

Enter McConnell.

“I was getting pretty frustrated because I couldn’t keep my hands on a few of those overhead marks,” Williams tells foxoofty.com.au.

“I was lying down on the ground in the change rooms getting my calves rubbed down and (McConnell’s) really observant and saw I was getting a bit upset.

“He laid down on the ground next to me and told me to get out of my head and keep doing what I’m doing and eventually one will stick.”

More in the linked article

Remove this Banner Ad

Back