Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Jakobssen will be a pretty big loss. She was a handy forward and improved a lot in her time at the club.

Hopefully she can come back to footy once she's more set in her police career.
On another note, there was a scratch match v Geelong last week, has anyone seen any reports/scores? Saw a couple of photos on the MFCW instagram and that was it.

Jakobssen will be a pretty big loss. She was a handy forward and improved a lot in her time at the club.

Hopefully she can come back to footy once she's more set in her police career.
On another note, there was a scratch match v Geelong last week, has anyone seen any reports/scores? Saw a couple of photos on the MFCW instagram and that was it.
From here: https://womens.afl/news/41266/clubs-blow-off-the-cobwebs-in-first-hitouts-for-season

GEELONG v MELBOURNE
The Cats and the Demons had an interesting set-up, focusing on match simulation rather than a game.

Played over three terms, it was a mix of general game play and situation-relevant set-ups, with the teams at one point taking turns to rebound out of defence.

In terms of the raw number of goals kicked, Melbourne had the edge, but it wasn't a focus of the day, with senior coaches Paul Hood and Mick Stinear taking an active role in directing proceedings.

With Tegan Cunningham, Daisy Pearce and Karen Paxman among those sitting out the session, Demons draftee Jackie Parry looked promising at full-forward, while draftee Krstel Petrevski led hard across half-forward and Maddy Gay dominated the middle.

The Dees promoted a player from their VFLW side to play in the ruck in the absence of Lauren Pearce, with Shelley Scott also taking some throw-ins up forward.

For the Cats, Nina Morrison, Melissa Hickey and Olivia Purcell all sat out the affair, but trained separately on the sidelines. All are on track to play round one.

Phoebe McWilliams was a good focal point, while Meg McDonald showed she has lost none of her touch after sitting out the winter season with a stress fracture in her foot, taking numerous intercepts.

Young Cats Denby Taylor, Sophie Van De Heuvel and Becky Webster got plenty of the footy.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Looks like the 2 Irish Ladies will get a taste , and welcome back Daisy .

Given the rate at which we're losing players, I think they kind of had to ... but good to see none the less.

Bumping as it was good to see Paxman get AA Captain (and Hore and Birch make the team). Maybe could've polled higher in the B&F but had more players to steal votes from her, unlike Prespakis (who's a great player anyway).

Have also enjoyed some of the ViC bIaS melts from Freo fans on FB/insta etc. as they didn't get as many in the AA as expected. That's the problem with having and evenly good team across the board, I guess.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Bumping as it was good to see Paxman get AA Captain (and Hore and Birch make the team). Maybe could've polled higher in the B&F but had more players to steal votes from her, unlike Prespakis (who's a great player anyway).

Have also enjoyed some of the ViC bIaS melts from Freo fans on FB/insta etc. as they didn't get as many in the AA as expected. That's the problem with having and evenly good team across the board, I guess.

Did Paxman get 3 x 3 votes?

It was a shame the season just stopped when it did, i don't see the AFL having any alternative. It will be interesting to see what happens with the womens game moving forward.

Did Paxman get 3 x 3 votes?

It was a shame the season just stopped when it did, i don't see the AFL having any alternative. It will be interesting to see what happens with the womens game moving forward.
Yeah, stuck in a s**t spot having to cut the season off, especially for Freo, North and Carlton who looked like solid chances at a flag. We would've probably been flogged by Freo in Perth.

I think it'll survive; it is loss making but isn't the money sink some think and long term will help grow footy. I think further expansion may be delayed another year or two (I think Hawthorn and Sydney were scheduled to join next year). Some of the hangers on will probably lose jobs (assistant coaches, media staff etc.) And probably more sharing of resources between men's and women's footy to trim costs.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Yeah, stuck in a s**t spot having to cut the season off, especially for Freo, North and Carlton who looked like solid chances at a flag. We would've probably been flogged by Freo in Perth.

I think it'll survive; it is loss making but isn't the money sink some think and long term will help grow footy. I think further expansion may be delayed another year or two (I think Hawthorn and Sydney were scheduled to join next year). Some of the hangers on will probably lose jobs (assistant coaches, media staff etc.) And probably more sharing of resources between men's and women's footy to trim costs.

I can't see how they would just abandon the league. I think AFL said unofficially if clubs drop out the other clubs i.e. will step in

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought we were a genuine premiership but like... nah?

Trading out Elise O Dea and Kat Smith for draft picks is culture destroying stuff.

Seriously, how does Stinear escape any scrutiny? For the talent we have had on our list, to not even MAKE a grand final, let alone win one - is, in my opinion just unnaceptable. And we have re-signed this pretender. No wonder no one takes this team seriously

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Trading out Elise O Dea and Kat Smith for draft picks is culture destroying stuff.

Seriously, how does Stinear escape any scrutiny? For the talent we have had on our list, to not even MAKE a grand final, let alone win one - is, in my opinion just unnaceptable. And we have re-signed this pretender. No wonder no one takes this team seriously
It's not the clubs decision to trade them, it's the players getting offered more money else where leaving them no choice but to trade. We've been pretty lucky to keep the bulk of our team together until this point, but all of the original clubs have been pillaged by the new ones, it's just the way they've built the comp.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not the clubs decision to trade them, it's the players getting offered more money else where leaving them no choice but to trade. We've been pretty lucky to keep the bulk of our team together until this point, but all of the original clubs have been pillaged by the new ones, it's just the way they've built the comp.

It seems a pretty targeted and deliberate approach by the club to offload so many. A lifelong Melbourne supporter and captain like O'Dea doesn't just up and leave solely for money - she must not be feeling the love back. I understand the need for list turnover but this is a forest fire.

I hope the club know what they are doing here but i wouldnt say i have any faith based on their previous record.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
It seems a pretty targeted and deliberate approach by the club to offload so many. A lifelong Melbourne supporter and captain like O'Dea doesn't just up and leave solely for money - she must not be feeling the love back. I understand the need for list turnover but this is a forest fire.

I hope the club know what they are doing here but i wouldnt say i have any faith based on their previous record.
It’s the way the comp works, I guess because the season only goes for 2 months it doesn’t breed the sort of loyalty you get in the mens? Emma Kearney is a case in point, won a Premiership and the MVP with the Dogs in 2018, and then took off to North.

I actually have a mutual friend with O’Dea, I’ll see what I can find out next time I see them

Yeah also bemused by the trades. All are solid best 22 players and leave us very thin. Cordner is important down back, Newman and Guerin have pace which we otherwise lack. We were relatively lucky not to lose many over the past couple of years so maybe this is it catching up to us but is a bit disheartening.
Then again, the likes of Patrikios and Prespakis show that good draftees can have a big impact on a side so maybe they're gunning for youth to take us to a flag?

I have been this gutted since we delisted Mifsud

Now O'Dea is gone! I'm legit pissed off

Newman i'm not to worried about, she's fast yeah but didn't really contribute last season

Back