Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How does the salary cap work in the womens league? Do you have to pay a min of 92 % (?) any given season like the men's or not?
I'm not sure but I think it's more flexible as players can be signed during the season to top up with injuries, e.g. we signed Perkins because we had 4 or 5 ACLS and a bunch of other injuries halfway through the year.

I think the decision is, new players coming in are better than established players. This isnt an assumption you can make in the mens.

It's an interesting point, wonder what the shelf life of women footballers is compared to men ?

Also when they hit their peak as a player could be totally different.

Not something I'd really thought about.

It's an interesting point, wonder what the shelf life of women footballers is compared to men ?

Also when they hit their peak as a player could be totally different.

Not something I'd really thought about.
you'd also think 18yr olds with proper development now compared to 5/10 years ago would piss all over these hacks who get drafted just to make up the numbers. not saying the 1s we let go are hacks but you'd think the girls coming through now lower in the draft would be on par with the girls just off the top of years gone by.

you'd also think 18yr olds with proper development now compared to 5/10 years ago would piss all over these hacks who get drafted just to make up the numbers. not saying the 1s we let go are hacks but you'd think the girls coming through now lower in the draft would be on par with the girls just off the top of years gone by.

Yea another really good point

Yeah Prespakis won the league b&f in her 2nd season. Patrikios from the Saints is a gun already; Hanks for us looks very good. I think it is a reasonable point because there are a lot better development teams for women's footy now that draftees will be as good/better than existing players. Probably less of a size/strength difference than the men's (e.g. they won't be necessarily giving up 10-15kgs on an opponent as a draftee).

It seems a pretty targeted and deliberate approach by the club to offload so many. A lifelong Melbourne supporter and captain like O'Dea doesn't just up and leave solely for money - she must not be feeling the love back. I understand the need for list turnover but this is a forest fire.

I hope the club know what they are doing here but i wouldnt say i have any faith based on their previous record.

O'Dea must live around the same area I do. Up until a couple of weeks ago I regularly saw her training by herself in her Melbourne kit. I don't know what to make of that, other than I doubt the trade was a result of a rift between club and player.

O'Dea must live around the same area I do. Up until a couple of weeks ago I regularly saw her training by herself in her Melbourne kit. I don't know what to make of that, other than I doubt the trade was a result of a rift between club and player.

IIRC, O'Dea and Paxman never played for Casey Demons in the VFLW, with O'Dea running around for Darebin, due to the distance from work in the city to Casey Fields for training.

Especially during the AFL "off-season", Melbourne wanted their AFLW listed players traning with Casey, at Casey, instead of Gosch's Paddock.

Clubs clearly don't believe in the women's footy myth of "new talent > old hacks". The best teenagers come in and have an immediate impact, which is no different to the men's game, but otherwise it's a hard slog to replace established players. Hence why Melbourne would've preferred to keep O'Dea and Newman etc, just as Carlton and Collingwood were willing to give up draft picks to get them.

O'Dea was traded for pick 8 in the Vic Metro draft, which will be used to get a solid contributor with a bit of luck. Extremely unlikely to result in a Prespakis, Patrikios or Hanks (who all went top 3 Vic Metro).

But the good news for Melbourne is that they made a very smart trade with Geelong today by giving up picks 10, 20, 27 and 39 in exchange for picks 5 (the 3rd selection in the Vic Metro draft), 35 and 54. Doesn't strike me as a long-term rebuild decision, more like a push to win next year's flag.

Clubs clearly don't believe in the women's footy myth of "new talent > old hacks". The best teenagers come in and have an immediate impact, which is no different to the men's game, but otherwise it's a hard slog to replace established players. Hence why Melbourne would've preferred to keep O'Dea and Newman etc, just as Carlton and Collingwood were willing to give up draft picks to get them.

O'Dea was traded for pick 8 in the Vic Metro draft, which will be used to get a solid contributor with a bit of luck. Extremely unlikely to result in a Prespakis, Patrikios or Hanks (who all went top 3 Vic Metro).

But the good news for Melbourne is that they made a very smart trade with Geelong today by giving up picks 10, 20, 27 and 39 in exchange for picks 5 (the 3rd selection in the Vic Metro draft), 35 and 54. Doesn't strike me as a long-term rebuild decision, more like a push to win next year's flag.
They traded up to Vic pick 3 because they had so many picks (more than they would use), that they could afford to trade other picks down. So, they get pick 3 (all 3 top prospects being guns), plus, they arent really any worse off in the rest of the draft.

So, I think its a rebuild, they just had a chance to rebuild with one of the top 3 18 year olds in Victoria. Given they get 3 picks in the first 11 Vic draft picks, its likely to be a strong rebuild to.

They traded up to Vic pick 3 because they had so many picks (more than they would use), that they could afford to trade other picks down. So, they get pick 3 (all 3 top prospects being guns), plus, they arent really any worse off in the rest of the draft.

So, I think its a rebuild, they just had a chance to rebuild with one of the top 3 18 year olds in Victoria. Given they get 3 picks in the first 11 Vic draft picks, its likely to be a strong rebuild to.
They are still going to have to use their 4th, 5th and 6th picks (7th too, I think) which have all been significantly downgraded purely to elevate their first pick in this year's draft from a Zanker type (likely to eventually develop into a consistent high-level performer) to a Conti type ("Norm Smith" winner in her first year).

A rebuild evokes a club considering itself out of flag contention and choosing to move on senior players for youth. Seems to me that Melbourne still believe they are genuine premiership threats, despite having to replace players who decided to leave (with the exception of Kemp, different story altogether).

They are still going to have to use their 4th, 5th and 6th picks (7th too, I think) which have all been significantly downgraded purely to elevate their first pick in this year's draft from a Zanker type (likely to eventually develop into a consistent high-level performer) to a Conti type ("Norm Smith" winner in her first year).

A rebuild evokes a club considering itself out of flag contention and choosing to move on senior players for youth. Seems to me that Melbourne still believe they are genuine premiership threats, despite having to replace players who decided to leave (with the exception of Kemp, different story altogether).
I agree with that. Perhaps mini rebuild is a better term. I dont think they see themselves out of contention, and the young players they bring in have the potential to have the same impact, or more, of the players they have lost. But it also sets them up for the next 5 years.

A key difference between mens and womens is, its a rare talent that has an impact year one in the mens, though it does happen (a few this year). But plenty of picks dont debut for 3 or 4 years. In womens, you would expect your first 2 or 3 picks to play and impact from game 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players committed for 2021

1. Tegan Cunningham
2. Meg Downie
3. Maddi Gay
4. Karen Paxman
6. Daisy Pearce
8. Sarah Lampard
9. Libby Birch
10. Kate Hore
11. Chantel Emonson
12. Shelley Scott
14. Lily Mithen
15. Lauren Pearce
17. Niamh McEvoy
18. Casey Sherriff
19. Jackie Parry
20. Brenna Tarrant
23. Sinead Goldrick
26. Shae Sloane
28. Tyla Hanks
29. Eden Zanker
30. Shelley Heath
31. Krstel Petrevski
32. Gabby Colvin

Season 1 of 2022 is done and dusted. A disappointing end to what at times felt so promising, but Adelaide are still too bloody good and we're still too brittle under pressure. B&F was this week, Daisy won narrowly over L Pearce and Hanks/Harris in 3rd. A verrry even spread of votes across the top 10 showing how many contributors we had across the year (but also that we lack a genuine superstar).

Also, after me talking up how well she seemed to be going as a big mid at Casey - Brenna Tarrant is looking to head home to NSW for the next season. Tarrant to explore move home. As for other list changes, I'd be surprised if Shelley Scott goes around again and there's the question on Daisy's future too... Definitely think she could play next season (given it's in 5 month's time, lol) but might get a better offer off-field in the meantime.

Parry on the move too. Disappointed to lose her, she was solid as a medium forward in 2021, although had a poorer year this year.
Her and Tarrant the only confirmed departures thus far. Daisy is going again (yay). Unless we're raided further by expansion teams or have a walkout in the tbc trade period we should have a very strong list for season 2022 mk II.

In non-Dees news Tegan Cunningham has been signed by Hawthorn. She looked very cooked in her last season with us but for a new team can bring some experience to their forward line.

Sign and trade period kicks off! We've picked up Charlotte Wilson from Carlton for pick 42, and sent Parry and Scott to Geelong for Jordan Ivery and pick 51.

Supermercado will be heartbroken at the impending loss of KP and any semblance of a crumber from our list but Povided we don't have any sudden walkout of a star we should be a very good chance at top-2 again next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back