Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women’s team general discussion - Trade Period

bluebagger95

Rookie
Apr 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, I thought we were lucky with a few. Wasn't sure about Paxman's 50, either.
it is the onus on riddell to give the ball back on the full to paxman circa 2012 mens granny when sam mitchell before half time gifted josh kennedy a goal in the same manner,50 metre penalty every day of the week

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
it is the onus on riddell to give the ball back on the full to paxman circa 2012 mens granny when sam mitchell before half time gifted josh kennedy a goal in the same manner,50 metre penalty every day of the week

Indeed. Just thought it was harsh given Paxman was moving at the time.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Great Win

Norf page supporters are blaming the umps for their loss.

No class
We got the 50/50 one's in the 2nd quarter, they got them in the 3rd. Norf supporters have zero class. Even on Twitter no acknowledgement of how well the opposition played, just all about the umpires and how they cost them! Pathetic really. Great game of footy. Actually the best I've seen for awhile including the men's.

Gold had an off night I thought. Seemed to spoil our own players more than North ones and made some bad errors in the third. Seemed like she was trying too hard at times and just got in the way.
Love that she doesn't give up though and had some important touches late.
Also good to see an ex-ANU player Jackie Parry among the goals!

By the letter of the law it was there, but probably not in the spirit of the rule as she pushed back on the mark very hard and Riddell didn't really account for that (and probably shouldn't have too).
Wouldn’t agree with that, Goldie had a stack of intercepts and cut off quite a few dangerous North attacks which would definitely have led to shots on goal. She takes the game on so is error prone, gotta take the bad with the good.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goldrick is my favourite , yeah she occasionally *s up but i love the way she just bee lines the ball , her run off half back started the move that ended in a fantastic team play and a goal. Her 3rd Q was not great , it's what you get .
I am really impressed with Mithen , and in the nicest way she is a little Ferret , big improvement from last year .
We won a game against a team that was flag favourites , well done ladies , I'd much rather siting 3-0 than on the bottom .
They hung on , they are turning Casey Fields into a home advantage , and that's even more impressive .

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Daisey's last Q probably stops me from wondering if she is getting near the end of her career . She is footy smarts enough to survive ATM , but i feel the pace of the game is catching up with her. She will always be a legend of the MFC , I will leave it at that !

Goldrick is my favourite , yeah she occasionally fu**s up but i love the way she just bee lines the ball , her run off half back started the move that ended in a fantastic team play and a goal. Her 3rd Q was not great , it's what you get .
I am really impressed with Mithen , and in the nicest way she is a little Ferret , big improvement from last year .
We won a game against a team that was flag favourites , well done ladies , I'd much rather siting 3-0 than on the bottom .
They hung on , they are turning Casey Fields into a home advantage , and that's even more impressive .
I like Goldrick too, just feel her errors last night were more costly/obvious than usual. Playing better oppo probably didn't help as North were all over us in the 3rd.
Agree re Mithen. Really stepping up this year and playing very well in the guts. Gay had a solid return too.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Daisey's last Q probably stops me from wondering if she is getting near the end of her career . She is footy smarts enough to survive ATM , but i feel the pace of the game is catching up with her. She will always be a legend of the MFC , I will leave it at that !
I reckon she’s got a few more years.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
You know it's a Melbourne game, whether it's the men or women playing, when they dominate for a quarter but then you're on the edge of your seat at the end of the game hoping we get across the line.

Fantastic result. Second quarter was something else. Hopefully we can continue with this form going forward from here.

Mithen is actually a very good footballer now, it’s great to see. Didn’t rate her at all prior to this season. Wonder if kicking that goal in the final gave her the confidence boost she needed.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Found myself more invested in the women's team than the men's at the moment. Obviously the winning helps, I hope they are able to sustain it as what I have seen so far this year has been refreshing from the girls. Conversely, all the news coming from the men's team this year has been either depressing or uninspiring. I hope they can get some inspiration from the way the women's team is performing and have a blistering start to the year.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Hmm maybe her body is just not up to it . Shades of the OX . Hope she is handling the news as well as can be expected.
Yeah, awful news for her, but after 3, with at least the last 2 being just in training, I just don't think it's going to happen sadly.

I was wondering during the game on the weekend how she's traveling while thinking it'll be hard for to get a game, but would be great to see. Poor thing

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
She’s becoming one of my favourites very quickly.
She already was mine, been going on about her since she debuted, one of those cases where you could see what was coming from a mile off.

She's been unreal this season tho, her hands are the closest I've seen to Clarry's in the AFLW

Our midfield group is stacked for the next decade with Hanks, Mithen, McNamara, Gay (who was also outstanding on the weekend coming back from injury) and Lampard to take over when Pax and Daisy step down (not that Pax is in a hurry). Need to replace some of our backs who are among our older players though, other than Birch we’re pretty old in defence.

Get the sense though that might be a trend for AFLW across the comp - most of the best players in juniors (skill wise and in fitness terms) who are most likely to make the transition are probably mids and forwards, and so that’s where most recruiters tend to look with earlier picks. Might be the case that defenders will be recruited as mature bodies from the state leagues, or as taller juniors who are drafted on the wing/as forwards and then made to play back (similar to how half forwards get recruited in the men’s). Huntington from the Dogs a good example.

Gotta say i like the way cunningham is playing this year, usually first to criticise and say she lumbers around. But she's getting to more contests, backing herself in the air this season and actually has seemed a lot cleaner below her feet

Back