jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think even at this point, 3 games in, you can comfortably say that the best 5 teams are all in the same conference, I mean, Carlton are on top of Conf B, and yesterday they won their first game since the first season.

Going to make things a bit weird come the finals, and thats not even considering the fact that if they were played next week, we miss out with an extra win, and +70%.

Terry Wallace was talking about it last week, if they don't change it on the run (the AFL? never!) and cross the conferences for the finals - so if at this point, North would play Geelong, and Carlton would play Freo, the GF is going to be really ugly.
Wallace was wrong, they are crossed, which means the likely outcome is a gf between the top 2 in A.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Well, under the crossover system (as the current ladder stands) Freo (2nd) would have to play their semi-final away to Carlton (6th).

Top 2 A likely, or if there are upsets in the semis, then you get 6th v 7th in the GF.
Yeah, but if 6th or 7th manage to pull off an upset to get into the GF, presumably they've improved a considerable amount and are at least capable of turning in a decent contest, which anyone from Conf B doesn't look like doing at present.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Yeah, but if 6th or 7th manage to pull off an upset to get into the GF, presumably they've improved a considerable amount and are at least capable of turning in a decent contest, which anyone from Conf B doesn't look like doing at present.

True, but (and I hate to bring up that game from 2017) all you need is a weekend it buckets down rain...

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Congrats to Erin Phillips. Miles ahead of the rest cant wait for Daisy to be back

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Blacks, Darebin Falcons
Dead quiet in here while many of the other team's AFLW threads are in paroxysms over trades, poaching and re-signings. I guess we've escaped most of the carnage teams like the Doggies and Brisbane have endured, perhaps says something about our team harmony and general player satisfaction.

We've only had one "significant" loss, Cat Phillips, who it was announced just today will be off to St.Kilda. She was great in the first season, poor last year, but bounced back this year to be a good contributor. I'm a fan and very disappointed to see her go. Followed her from before our first AFLW game three seasons back, an interesting story beyond the obvious quirk of coming from an Ultimate Frisbee background. While it pains me to say it, I hope she's made the right decision for her and I wish her all the best at the Saints.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Dead quiet in here while many of the other team's AFLW threads are in paroxysms over trades, poaching and re-signings. I guess we've escaped most of the carnage teams like the Doggies and Brisbane have endured, perhaps says something about our team harmony and general player satisfaction.

We've only had one "significant" loss, Cat Phillips, who it was announced just today will be off to St.Kilda. She was great in the first season, poor last year, but bounced back this year to be a good contributor. As my avatar would indicate, I'm a fan and very disappointed to see her go. Followed her from before our first AFLW game three seasons back, an interesting story beyond the obvious quirk of coming from an Ultimate Frisbee background. While it pains me to say it, I hope she's made the right decision for her and I wish her all the best at the Saints.
Ah damn, I hadn't heard Phillips was moving on, that's a shame. As you've said, this time last year I wouldn't have cared at all after a poor season, but she got back to her best this year.

Just really odd this sort of player movement, obviously its exacerbated by the new teams coming in, but it's going to need to be locked down sooner rather than later, or it's going to have a dramatic effect on the product.

If we only lose Phillips, that’s a great result with four new teams coming in.

Short contract lengths are allowing this instability. It’s designed to support the introduction of the new teams. It will settle over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“At this stage, the Dees have lost just one player during the off-season, with Maddy Brancatisano seeking a move to Richmond.

But in positive news for the club, Bulldog youngster Libby Birch has requested a trade to Melbourne.”

Two more movements. One in, one out.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
“At this stage, the Dees have lost just one player during the off-season, with Maddy Brancatisano seeking a move to Richmond.

But in positive news for the club, Bulldog youngster Libby Birch has requested a trade to Melbourne.”

Two more movements. One in, one out.

If the Libby Birch deal can be done that would useful, she's a good player. Will be interesting as we've pretty much signed up all our experienced, quality players that I assume the Doggies would have been wanting as part of a trade. Could cost us a couple of draft picks if they aren't interested in someone like Brooke Patterson (and Brooke probably wouldn't be keen on moving given her husband is our AFLW list manager!) or any of the youngsters. Maybe Talia Radan, I was surprised she didn't get a game this year given how useful she was for Adelaide in 2017 before missing much of 2018 with injury.

We haven't actually announced anyone as being delisted yet. We've re-signed 20, and can sign a total of 22. But the 22 doesn't count our two 2018 rookies, which means we can sign 24. But then because Casey Sheriff was the replacement call up when Daisy had to go on the inactive list last year apparently we can re-sign her in place of our second round pick in this year's draft. Which means we can sign 25. But Daisy will be in that 25. Are you still with me? :) So it means, if I've got it all correct, that we can sign/re-sign another four players before the end of the second trade period next week. Assuming we succeed in brokering a deal for Libby Birch that mean we have three spots left. Talia Radan, Ashleigh Guest,
Ashleigh Woodland, Claudia Whitfort, Brooke Patterson, Shelley Heath, Jordann Hickey and Ainslie Kemp are those we have yet to re-sign.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Not sure she was. Looked every bit the pro frisbee player to me. The actual footballers like O'Dea, Kat Smith and Tyla Hanks are the ones you want to hang on to and we've done that.

We've done very well to re-sign so many, basically all, of our core team. Katherine Smith was a little down this year, she lost her starting spot in the backline and didn't really set the world on fire as a midfielder when she had the chance. I'd be much happier with her as one of our core defenders, she was doing a great job there, but the modern fashion is as soon as anyone shows any promise you have to try to turn them into a midfielder.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Big news day today.

Daisy has re-signed. Nothing more needs to be said. :)

The Libby Birch deal has been done. We get Birch and pick 77 in exchange for Ashleigh Guest and picks 8 & 48 going to the Doggies.

Also Claudia Whitfort and pick 63 will be off to St.Kilda for picks 54 & 72.

According to the MFC website we've delisted Jordann Hickey, Brooke Patterson, Talia Radan and Ashleigh Woodland. That would mean we've signed 24 in total, when we could have signed 25. Not sure why, I understand the intention was to take the full 25.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Big news day today.

The Libby Birch deal has been done. We get Birch and pick 77 in exchange for Ashleigh Guest and picks 8 & 48 going to the Doggies.

According to the MFC website we've delisted Jordann Hickey, Brooke Patterson, Talia Radan and Ashleigh Woodland. That would mean we've signed 24 in total, when we could have signed 25. Not sure why, I understand the intention was to take the full 25.

Thinking about not using the full 25 signings, I wonder if we have a couple of women from other sports we're looking to sign as rookies and need the space on our list?

Big news day today.

Birch will be handy. I think we could come away winners in this trade

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Could cost us a couple of draft picks if they aren't interested in someone like Brooke Patterson (and Brooke probably wouldn't be keen on moving given her husband is our AFLW list manager!)

Awkward scenes in the Patterson household

A little unhappy we didn't pick up Kaila Bentvelven in this years draft, she was in our VFLW team at Casey
Ended up going pick 67 to Collingwood. Aside from being a premiership Netballer at my local Football Netball club, she's a gun athlete.
I'm only now noticing your avatar, and it... IS GLORIUS

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
I'm only now noticing your avatar, and it... IS GLORIUS
Original yes. Last change of Avatar
I wanted to use a GIF, so i made one Of Frank (one with the foam coming up from his mouth after downing a beer, on a loop) from Its Sunny in Philly, only to be told from another demon that was his Avatar.
So i made this.

Back