Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women’s team general discussion - Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

The season starts this weekend and there's no posts about women's footy here for the last 5 months. Are there any Dees supporters out there who give a damn?
Was talking about this to a coworker who is trying to get on St Kilda's list. AFLW starts this week hopefully we can get a season in. Went through a lot of emotion in the GWS final only for the season to get cancelled the next day.

The season starts this weekend and there's no posts about women's footy here for the last 5 months. Are there any Dees supporters out there who give a damn?
I just yesterday bought tickets for me and my two young girls to this weekends game at Metricon actually ... so yes?

Better question: would supporters care more if Melbourne didn't play games in the middle of nowhere? (answer is yes)

For a variety of reasons, the Round 2 game against Richmond should be played at the MCG. But it can't because the ground is scheduled to host a couple Sheffield Shield matches in February which will be attended by hundreds of people.

If only the MCC/AFL gave cricket a stack of money to rack off to the Junction Oval in situations like this...

Better question: would supporters care more if Melbourne didn't play games in the middle of nowhere? (answer is yes)

For a variety of reasons, the Round 2 game against Richmond should be played at the MCG. But it can't because the ground is scheduled to host a couple Sheffield Shield matches in February which will be attended by hundreds of people.

If only the MCC/AFL gave cricket a stack of money to rack off to the Junction Oval in situations like this...

You know what would be a nice, central-ish location for Melbourne AFLW home games? The Royal Melbourne Showgrounds.

Remember years ago (10-15 years??) they talked about turning the Showgrounds into a botique stadium?

You know what would be a nice, central-ish location for Melbourne AFLW home games? The Royal Melbourne Showgrounds.

Remember years ago (10-15 years??) they talked about turning the Showgrounds into a botique stadium?
I'm not sure I do. I remember the boutique venue proposal for E-Gate 10-15 years ago, and I know of the monster stadium proposal for the Showgrounds about 25 years ago.

But the biggest downside about Casey Fields being in the middle of nowhere is the consequent lack of historical connection to MFC. And those potential centralised locations (as well as others like them) share that same issue.

All other Victorian clubs get to play some AFLW games at their spiritual homes, and at this point there doesn't seem to be a good reason why Melbourne can't do the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad to see there is life among the tumbleweeds. Keep up the good work. And good luck to the Dees for the season ahead. You have a strong exciting team.

I'm not sure I do. I remember the boutique venue proposal for E-Gate 10-15 years ago, and I know of the monster stadium proposal for the Showgrounds about 25 years ago.

But the biggest downside about Casey Fields being in the middle of nowhere is the consequent lack of historical connection to MFC. And those potential centralised locations (as well as others like them) share that same issue.

All other Victorian clubs get to play some AFLW games at their spiritual homes, and at this point there doesn't seem to be a good reason why Melbourne can't do the same thing.
I would love us to play a home game somewhere central - particularly the MCG

Me too. Could help attendances as it's easier to get to than Casey and could make a day of it in the city (sorry to any Casey residents, I just have nfi what's out there).
“God’s own country” and, apparently, Dean Kent’s house. It’s a long way from where I am though and I don’t know how to drive for reasons too complicated to get into

Me too. Could help attendances as it's easier to get to than Casey and could make a day of it in the city (sorry to any Casey residents, I just have nfi what's out there).
Fresh Air .
Seriously it's a ******* freeway all the way to Cranbourne . As for playing at the "G" the only way it would make any financial sense would be as a curtain raiser for the men , and as the seasons barely overlap that isn't going to happen .
The potential for growth down this way is huge . I get it is a pain in the arse for people coming from the city .
I am sure the women don't give a s**t where the matches are played .

I do like that Casey games play into the 'suburban-ness' of the AFLW. Has a charm to it that helps give the league a clear identity, brings it closer to the grassroots.

The bloody wind at the ground would be a pain in the arse to play with. But it does make the place unique and may give something of a 'home advantage'? (Although I'm not sure we have a great record there).

I do like that Casey games play into the 'suburban-ness' of the AFLW. Has a charm to it that helps give the league a clear identity, brings it closer to the grassroots.

The bloody wind at the ground would be a pain in the arse to play with. But it does make the place unique and may give something of a 'home advantage'? (Although I'm not sure we have a great record there).
I do remember one game where there was lightning and a gale blowing , it can get pretty wild there no doubt.

Fresh Air .
Plus lots of wind, very little shade and seating, and not a train station for 5 kms.
As for playing at the "G" the only way it would make any financial sense would be as a curtain raiser for the men , and as the seasons barely overlap that isn't going to happen .
The seasons are overlapping more and more each year, and double-headers have already been scheduled for other clubs on a number of occasions (including this year).

It could have very easily been done for Melbourne too, given that the 2021 fixture looks like this:
Sat 20 March: AFL - Melb v Frem at MCG
Sun 21 March: AFLW - Melb v WB at Casey Fields

Even if it purely came down to money, there's a bigger picture to consider than just cost v revenue of one or two games per year:
  • What do you lose in the way of an emotional connection with supporters, and how does that translate to the balance sheet?
  • Does it make financial sense to pay cricket to go away, but then not hold them to the essence of the deal?
  • How big is the difference between the financial viability of AFLW games at the MCG and, say, Kardinia Park?
  • In the current climate, are small ill-equipped venues much less cost effective than before?
The potential for growth down this way is huge . I get it is a pain in the arse for people coming from the city .
I don't think that growth would be shunted at all if the AFLW team played 2 games at Casey Fields rather than 4.

Happy for Cricket to be at the G. PLayers need to play where test cricket is at.

Shame we didn't stick with Sandy and that ground would be perfect for AFLW. CLose to train station and the beach for summer. Lots of support for Melbourne in the area. Ground is a good suburban ground.

Casey while a growing area the ground is a soulless wind tunnel and is a long way from our spiritual home.

I think carlton are highly overrated this season, and so far i haven't seen anything to change that
Hard to judge off Round 1 when most teams will be rusty (especially after the limited pre-season, no VFLW, etc), but I agree.

They seem like the Geelong men's team: good enough to be thereabouts but not quite premiership material.

Last night made me more ok about losing O'Dea. She has the occasional blinder, but is very slow and has a lot of average games like last night in between her good ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back