Women's Footy - AFLW and MFC Women’s team general discussion | BigFooty

Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women’s team general discussion

Discussion in 'Melbourne Demons' started by Striker475, Nov 29, 2015.

1. LeverPuller

LeverPuller BigFooty Tanker

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
    Right, I'm updating this as a hub. We're going to see things happen fairly quickly now - marquee nominations happen as of tomorrow.

Current Coach
    Michael Stinear (Oakleigh Chargers)

Playing list
    18 - Melissa Hickey (Darebin) [Preselection]
    6 - Daisy Pearce (c) (Darebin) [Preselection]
    Karen Paxman (Darebin) [Priority Pick]
    Cat Phillips (UniMelb/Ultimate Frisbee) [Rookie Pick]
    Harriet Cordner (Melbourne United (soccer)) [Rookie Pick]
    Elise O'Dea (Darebin)
    Deanna Berry (Montmorency/UniMelb)
    Richelle Cranston (Geelong Magpies)
    Lauren Pearce (Darebin)
    Alyssa Mifsud (VU Western Spurs)
    Shelley Scott (VU Western Spurs)
    Katherine Smith (Blackburn/Eastern Devils)
    Emma Humphries (Burnie Dockers)
    Lily Mithen (North Geelong)
    Ainslie Kemp (VU Western Spurs)
    Mia-Rae Clifford (St Kilda Sharks)
    Brooke Howells (Darebin)
    Jess Anderson (UniMelb)
    Madeline Boyd (North Geelong)
    Pepa Randall (Eastern Devils)
    Sarah Lampard (VU Western Spurs)
    Jasmine Grierson (Cranbourne)
    Sarah Jolly (Gippsland Galaxy)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. coniglio_number1

coniglio_number1 Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Would be great to see the women's league start up. If gws don't field a team then u can count me in as an inaugural women's team member

3. Proper Gander

Proper Gander Owl whisperer and secret agent

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Mt Buller Demons
    VWFL for 2016, AWFL talked about for 2017.

Great for womens sport generally, but could be a big driver in MFC memberships for the future. Having such a firm position in establishing the womens game could grow the number of girls who follow the sport.

4. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Couldnt care less...

5. coniglio_number1

GWS
    Why not?

Melbourne are looking likely to be the powerhouse team in the women's competition.

Or do you only prefer football if penises are involved?

6. givemethecure

givemethecure All Australian

Melbourne
    I am super psyched for this. It's brilliant that the Club is in for the long haul with women's footy. It's super important for young women and girls to be shown that they can strive to be involved in a top level footy competition - for such a long time girls could participate in Auskick, but then had to chuck it in and play something else because there weren't girls' footy competitions. My nearly four-year-old daughter was so happy to see Daisy on the calendar this year, and more notably asked "Is that Daisy with Jonesy?" on the website. The realisation that women playing football for her was palpable, I could see her mind ticking over that this was actually an option for her, not just the little boys' domain. Not that I'll be shoe-horning her into playing footy if she'd rather be a fairy-winged ballerina, but for her to see our women's team being marketed as normal and run of the mill is really REALLY important. And the reach is far beyond just footy, this has grander implications for the wider community. Can't wait.

Sellout Scully and Canary like this.
  7. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Im sick of being told I should enjoy something because women are involved, its an inferior product just like the VFL WAFL VAFA and country leagues
    Im not pressured to watch all of them by anyone so why should I care anymore because there are Vaginas involved

8. coniglio_number1

GWS
    image.jpg

9. A11dAtP0w3R

A11dAtP0w3R Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Carolina Panthers, Steve Smith
    Our mens team has been serving up an inferior product for years, why get picky now? :p

DexterTan, Theo X, Xenthor and 16 others like this.
  10. autocol

autocol All Australian

Melbourne
    I'm sick of being told by people who don't want to watch women's footy that they don't want to watch women's footy.

So f*cking what? Don't watch it then. F*ck off and stop posting in women's footy threads.

11. A11dAtP0w3R

A11dAtP0w3R Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Carolina Panthers, Steve Smith
    Na i get your point ng69, i just wouldnt be so upset about it. Dont worry, you can choose if you want to watch it or not, or is Canadian law different?

I say good on the women, if they got a league up id keep an eye out for the results similar to what i do with some of the local leagues around the place. Sure, it will never be prime time but they love the sport, take their shit seriously and have a crack. :thumbsu:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Im not saying they shouldnt have it, all power to them they deserve a league like everyone else
    But the amount of air thats getting pumped into it JUST cause its a womens league is a little silly

Carry on freedom fighters

Cannon82 likes this.
  13. stabler

stabler Premiership Player

Melbourne
    I love that the Dees are at the forefront of this initiative. I thought the Dees women's game this year was of an incredibly high quality and it was awesome to see girls such as Tayla Harris and Daisy kill it in the red and blue.

These girls are winners and to see them get the job done in a Melbourne Guernsey makes me proud and excited for the future of the women's game.

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Famer

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Tottenham
    Can only be a good thing for our club to have the best female footballer in the land as our first captain.

15. Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Jack Watts captain/coach?

TheDarkDwarf likes this.
  16. Supermercado

Supermercado Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    AFC Wimbledon, Falcons, Braves
    How much is it going to cost us to put a team in a national competition? I want to hear that before we start talking about fielding a side in a national competition. If the AFL are heavily subsidising it fair enough, but we're struggling to break even as it is.

If the costs are covered then I'm into it, but I don't want it to be a drain on our finances when the novelty wears off.

17. dee_mac

dee_mac Premium Gold

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Philadelphia Eagles
    I thoroughly enjoyed having a curtain raiser before the game. It was much more enjoyable than being 70 odd points down at qtr time in the main game

18. coniglio_number1

GWS
    Costs should be minimal outside of player salaries.

Development coaches and line coaches will be the same as the mens. Same facilities will be used. Same merchandise save a few badges and a daisy bobble head.

If anything you will end up employing a couple of extra coaches and scouts.

19. Cannon82

Cannon82 Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    It'll get subsidized, I'd be surprised if the club is paying for anything at all. Probably just volunteering staff and players' time to assist with coaching, training, etc. Not sure what the ladies are getting paid, if anything, but it shouldn't be much.

20. Oscarman

Oscarman Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    MUFC, Parra, Jacksonville
    As long as we keep Tayla Harris.

21. Dory_77

Dory_77 Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Watched the womens game before the mens thrashing vs the Dogs this year and it was a good game. If we keep some of our players from the group we've already 'drafted' we should have a really good squad so should do well. It'd nice to see Melbourne win something that gets kept in a trophy cabinet, rather than a cutlery drawer.

YouDontKnowJack likes this.
  22. lose

lose Club Legend

Melbourne
    Hard part I see for the women's league is finding the depth of talent.. the games between us and the dogs have been great, but they are the best 44 players in Australia.. once that talent all of a sudden has to be split across say 18 sides then the standard is sure to be a lot worse.. We saw the talent decrease in the afl with the introduction of 2 teams.. the decrease to create a national comp will be drastic..
    but still think they need to do it, the spectacle just is going to be nothing like we've seen so far

23. Cannon82

Cannon82 Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    They'd be lucky to cobble together 6 teams between VIC, SA and WA; they're not going to get near 18. If they're serious about a girls league, they'll pay the players, and if they pay the players, they'll lose money hand over fist. I doubt anyone is going to dig an 18 team hole at this point. It's pretty telling that the two clubs currently involved in this are us and the Dogs while other clubs who could more easily afford the time and expense haven't gotten behind it because there's bugger all chance of people turning up en masse to watch.

24. Supermercado

Supermercado Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    AFC Wimbledon, Falcons, Braves
    In that case I'm in. Let the good times roll.

Proper Gander likes this.
  25. Proper Gander

Proper Gander Owl whisperer and secret agent

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Mt Buller Demons
    I'm in. WTF is the harm. Guarantee it won't deplete from a precious moment of the AFL as is - they have money riding on the larger league. At the same time, people saying 'this will fail', well sure but there is only one way to find out.

I'll bookmark this now - in 50 years time when the competition is made up of Bladerunner-style kick arse cyborgs of either or no specific sex then I will have the last laugh. Like the Prince only obviously not as gifted.