Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Surprised to see Alyssa Mifsud listed as an emergency, given she was last year's leading goal kicker, and equal third in the comp.....could be a good sign re their confidence in Tegan Cunningham as a key forward.
Thought the same about Mifsud, she was one I'd have thought was a definite starter. I suspect they're concerned about a lack of mobility down there, and preferring Cunningham as the primary tall target

Cunningham is also likely to be way fitter than Mifsud given she's played pro basketball for ap decade...

As an aside, Cat Phillips off half back makes me wonder if Stinear is trying to create Hunt 2.0.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Cunningham is also likely to be way fitter than Mifsud given she's played pro basketball for ap decade...

As an aside, Cat Phillips off half back makes me wonder if Stinear is trying to create Hunt 2.0.
They named Mithin at CHF. I wouldn't be placing to much faith in listed positions.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Blacks, Darebin Falcons
They named Mithin at CHF. I wouldn't be placing to much faith in listed positions.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Agree, I've noticed that listed positions in the women's game are even less meaningful than the men's. You should see some of the listed positions in the VFLW. It's almost as if they select the team then assign players to positions simply because they have to and do it by pulling the selected names out of a hat. :) "Ok, at full back we have...........Daisy Pearce".

Agree, I've noticed that listed positions in the women's game are even less meaningful than the men's. You should see some of the listed positions in the VFLW. It's almost as if they select the team then assign players to positions simply because they have to and do it by pulling the selected names out of a hat. :) "Ok, at full back we have...........Daisy Pearce".
Almost - Daisy has been listed at Full Forward :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Almost - Daisy has been listed at Full Forward :rolleyes:
to be fair, she would do a decent job. A bit height challenged for your traditional FF, but she could play anywhere. She is tiny though. I reckon I could shut her down. I would wait until she isn't looking and sit on her.

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
I wonder whether clubs are stifled by the positions - ie; having only 3 named midfielders. Perhaps MFC want, say, Daisy on a wing with only five forwards.

Tell you what, if Carlton-Collingwood is anything to go by in the improved standard, our midfield is going to be absolute dynamite.

3 goals to 2 in the first AFLW game. Honestly, if the AFL want to attract supporters to the women's game, then they need to shorten the grounds and have less players on the field. More goals scored in soccer...
It's already sixteen a side, reduce it much more and it's AFLX

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
3 goals to 2 in the first AFLW game. Honestly, if the AFL want to attract supporters to the women's game, then they need to shorten the grounds and have less players on the field. More goals scored in soccer...
Yeah, no point reducing the numbers, 16 is fine, but the ground needs to be brought in.

Just not sure how you'd do it, you can't just buy a set of Jeff White's portable goal posts and call it job done ...

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he means the length of the field as well. Goal line to goal line is too far when it only goes through the middle 5 times

Game time is almost half that of a normal AFL match - most of the match is 15 minute quarters with no time on except in the last 2 minutes, the play is more congested due to what appears to be a focus on aggressive tackling, and the last touch free rule is probably preventing roving goals and set play inside 50 that would normally result in scores.

Lets see how the men would go in those circumstances.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’m going to turn this back into a general AFLW thread and make a brand new game day thread just because I can. But first I’m going to take some paracaetamol and drink 2 litres of water and have a lie down somewhere darkened.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
paint the lines closer or use ropes like the cricket did.
Yeah I was referring to the length of the ground, so moving the goal posts, which wouldnt be a quick job and would also rule out any chance of curtain raisers/closers with mens games, and would even rule out a number of venues.

Bringing in the width of the ground will likely only increase the congestion.

astrodee

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Aston Villa. Melbourne renegades
A total of 4 points kicked in the second half.
Glued to my seat.
Literally.
Only way i could watch.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
paint the lines closer or use ropes like the cricket did.

Go to AFLW matches, sit in the front row and bust out your binoculars to watch the game.

Go to AFLW matches, sit in the front row and bust out your binoculars to watch the game.
Yeah if you want them to play on smaller grounds build smaller grounds. Wouldn't be hard to get a smaller footy though.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Game time is almost half that of a normal AFL match - most of the match is 15 minute quarters with no time on except in the last 2 minutes, the play is more congested due to what appears to be a focus on aggressive tackling, and the last touch free rule is probably preventing roving goals and set play inside 50 that would normally result in scores.

Lets see how the men would go in those circumstances.

Come now, I think the main factor affecting the lack of goals is the skill and quality. I'm watching the Crows Lions "grand final rematch" and teams rarely string more than two possessions together.

Men would be kicking plenty of goals in 16 a side with 15 minute quarters. Why would it be so different from 18 a side?

Yeah if you want them to play on smaller grounds build smaller grounds. Wouldn't be hard to get a smaller footy though.
They already have a smaller footy.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Come now, I think the main factor affecting the lack of goals is the skill and quality. I'm watching the Crows Lions "grand final rematch" and teams rarely string more than two possessions together.

Men would be kicking plenty of goals in 16 a side with 15 minute quarters. Why would it be so different from 18 a side?

Not saying its not a factor. But Ive seen mens afl players miss easy shots on goal. Levi Casboult plays for my team. So did Shaun hampson and Robbie Warnock.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Chances of the women's game getting their own infrastructure is nil. They'll play on standard sized grounds and struggle, or maybe they can try and stick some AFL sticks up on league / union stadiums. Would be weird to watch a game where the ropes are brought in about 30 metres in all directions.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not saying its not a factor. But Ive seen mens afl players miss easy shots on goal. Levi Casboult plays for my team. So did Shaun hampson and Robbie Warnock.

Sure they do, everyone does. It's a rarity and a novelty in the men's game though.

Back