AFLW: Around The Grounds Rounds 1 - 7

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the story with the Gardiner Stand, see a few sitting there.
been there since the last game in 05 when the dees beat us - still processing that strange turn of events

Well that probably puts a line through GWS and Collingwood for the year.

Brisbane winning tomorrow will certainly add some intrigue. Would also probably mark it down to a five horse race.

The teams we have beaten have lost comprehensively to their other opponents, no time to slack off girls. We need Bluegum down there as a motivational speaker! Don't get ahead of yourselves, one week at a time!

Go you Blue Girls!

Drop off in crowd but playing against GWS contributes to that. Great to see games at Princes Park.
That would be a reasonable assertion if the Collingwood/Demons game hadn't pulled in roughly the same crowd. Also rules out the daytime/nighttime factor.

There was always going to be some extra traction for the opening round, but I was expecting the momentum to carry on enough to put 15k in for two Victorian teams.

That would be a reasonable assertion if the Collingwood/Demons game hadn't pulled in roughly the same crowd. Also rules out the daytime/nighttime factor.

There was always going to be some extra traction for the opening round, but I was expecting the momentum to carry on enough to put 15k in for two Victorian teams.
Ah but you're forgetting the Ikon Park factor - no Collingwood supporter worth their dole cheque would go there two weeks in a row regardless of circumstance! :D

Collingwood supporters were panicking that they'd schlep to our ground and not be able to get in as they weren't emptying the stands in between games.
The AFL, AFLW, Carlton, Collingwood and Melbourne socmed accounts could have handled this between them.

If they want the mums out: Facebook; the kids: Snapchat; the 20-somethings: Twitter & Instagram.

Simple. Pride shouldn't get in the way of bumping the crowd 3000-5000. There'd be plenty of walk-ins from the local area.

I reckon the crowds are better than the league expected as late as 3 weeks ago.

IMO the reason the Melb v Pies game was lowish (even though it really isn't) is they both lost last week.

The sport is new, the majority of fans aren't rusted on ...yet.

If we'd played the Bulldogs (instead of them playing crows) in a stand alone game last night it would have been well over 10k and possibly more than 15k

For something that's basically an amateur sport that's been around for 2 minutes, the crowds are awesome.

The crowd sizes will fluctuate weekly. In coming seasons 5-7k crowds will be considered good and a "blockbuster" might be around 10-13k

That's enough for a a few 100k eyeballs watching on telly, the atmosphere at games to be buzzing and money coming in the door from both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The TV audiences and the sponsorship uptick says otherwise, but that only holds so long as there is some sense of atmosphere at the game to convince TV audiences and draw in aspiring athletes.

10,000 people might not mean much compared to ad money, but it changes the complexion of it, especially for those out on the field.

The TV audiences and the sponsorship uptick says otherwise, but that only holds so long as there is some sense of atmosphere at the game to convince TV audiences and draw in aspiring athletes.

10,000 people might not mean much compared to ad money, but it changes the complexion of it, especially for those out on the field.

I get that atmosphere is important (said as much) but I don't think the league are anticipating crowds of much more than 5k for many of the games.

Promoting the product can only do so much, I can't see GWS v Brissy at Sydney getting too many people .

And sometimes even a good crowd can seem poor. The Adelaide v GWS game had a great crowd on a wet day but the camera angle and mic position didn't really capture it. Sounded like there was 100 people there .

If you went yesterday, do you think the coverage seem to pick up the feeling of 7.5k.?

This happens a lot at WAFL games (where 5k is an excellent crowd) . The place can be rocking at the game but the camera angle basically shows the vacant sections on the outer wing and not the full grandstand. They also put the mic in a position that doesn't get the energy from the crowd.

I get that atmosphere is important (said as much) but I don't think the league are anticipating crowds of much more than 5k for many of the games.

Promoting the product can only do so much, I can't see GWS v Brissy at Sydney getting too many people .

And sometimes even a good crowd can seem poor. The Adelaide v GWS game had a great crowd on a wet day but the camera angle and mic position didn't really capture it. Sounded like there was 100 people there .

If you went yesterday, do you think the coverage seem to pick up the feeling of 7.5k.?

This happens a lot at WAFL games (where 5k is an excellent crowd) . The place can be rocking at the game but the camera angle basically shows the vacant sections on the outer wing and not the full grandstand. They also put the mic in a position that doesn't get the energy from the crowd.
It was a vocal crowd, and that was reflected in the coverage, but any time the angle dipped up to see the Legends stand, you saw it was little more than a third full.

A tweet 90 minutes before the game would have changed that.

Failing that, they could have set up some sort of ticketing allocation, just to gauge numbers.

It was a vocal crowd, and that was reflected in the coverage, but any time the angle dipped up to see the Legends stand, you saw it was little more than a third full.

A tweet 90 minutes before the game would have changed that.

Failing that, they could have set up some sort of ticketing allocation, just to gauge numbers.

social media is often powerful but saying a tweet 90 minutes before bounce down is getting 3k through the gate is a stretch. Unless it was offering free money.

social media is often powerful but saying a tweet 90 minutes before bounce down is getting 3k through the gate is a stretch. Unless it was offering free money.
Twitter Australia are generally pretty good with that if you're willing to partner up. Snapchat as well. Facebook has Messenger alerts, etc. There's ways to broadcast.

The ticketing system would probably work better though.

I reckon the crowds are better than the league expected as late as 3 weeks ago.

IMO the reason the Melb v Pies game was lowish (even though it really isn't) is they both lost last week.

The sport is new, the majority of fans aren't rusted on ...yet.

If we'd played the Bulldogs (instead of them playing crows) in a stand alone game last night it would have been well over 10k and possibly more than 15k

For something that's basically an amateur sport that's been around for 2 minutes, the crowds are awesome.

The crowd sizes will fluctuate weekly. In coming seasons 5-7k crowds will be considered good and a "blockbuster" might be around 10-13k

That's enough for a a few 100k eyeballs watching on telly, the atmosphere at games to be buzzing and money coming in the door from both.
so far both games have been at do-able times at venues reasonably easy to get to (for me) at no admission fee (the record jumped spectacularly from 0 to $3 though - things might change if I have to travel out of my comfort zone and pay much to get in

so far both games have been at a do-able time at venues reasonably easy to get to (for me) at no admission fee (the record jumped spectacularly from 0 to $3 though - things might change if I have to travel out of my comfort zone and pay much to get in

I'm sure those factors will come into it.

What did the NAB cup game at PP cost for non-members?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back