Women's Footy AFLW Awards Night 2017 - Congrats Flip and Noffy

Remove this Banner Ad

A very successful AFLW awards night for the club last night, with Ebony Marinoff taking out the inaugural Rising Star Award; Erin Phillips taking out the top gong of Best and Fairest player in the competition, as well as Goal of the Year; and Marinoff, Phillips, Courtney Cramey, Chelsea Randall, and Sarah "Tex" Perkins being named in the All Australian Team.

I'm so proud of this club and everything they've achieved this year. I can't wait to see how we develop over coming seasons.

Even more amazing if you consider what Erin has done, no other male player has achieved this in one year - premiership player, bog for grand final, aflpa best player, afl b&f and will she take out the club b&f too? That's an insane amount of achievements for a single player in a year!

And none of them have managed to maintain even an amateur role in another sport. Let's not forget that this is a semi-professional sport in its first ever year. She's absolutely the best there is amongst the league but there's no comparisons to draw here. To even play a game at the highest men's level you need to have dedicated yourself to the sport. This will be the same in AFLW in the coming years, but right now it's still very amateur with a few professionals from other sports.

On Erin's season, you might know, but I find it odd that the winner of both season medals, GF BOG and co-captain of the premiership club ended up as VC of the AA team. Is it possible to mount an argument to support that or is it a Vic-centric screw up?

And none of them have managed to maintain even an amateur role in another sport. Let's not forget that this is a semi-professional sport in its first ever year. She's absolutely the best there is amongst the league but there's no comparisons to draw here. To even play a game at the highest men's level you need to have dedicated yourself to the sport. This will be the same in AFLW in the coming years, but right now it's still very amateur with a few professionals from other sports.

On Erin's season, you might know, but I find it odd that the winner of both season medals, GF BOG and co-captain of the premiership club ended up as VC of the AA team. Is it possible to mount an argument to support that or is it a Vic-centric screw up?

The players also voted Daisy best captain. Erin being a co-captain may have been why Daisy was rated a better captain.

Phillips is incredible. You could tell from the first shepard (edit, actually bodywork + handball) she put on for the first Crows goal vs GWS that she was physically and mentally a step ahead of anyone else.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back