Portfolio AFLW Box Office: Movie-Inspired Player Posters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm plotting to pick movies with a main character and/or style and/or other quality that share similarities to prominent players in the league. As usual, these rules will be stretched, bent and broken as I see fit. In terms of the original photos used, shout out to whoever the hell took them (ie. not me).

Now to cut to the chase and reel off the first act, in order of completion:

Vescio the Goal Sneak
Adaption of Halle Berry's Catwoman but with Hathaway-era murkiness. The surrounds are comprised of three different alleyway images crudely stuck together. And don't think about the concept too hard but, yes, it'd be more fitting if she played for Geelong.
AFLW_Poster_DarcyVescio_zps01zzzlak.png

Tayla Harris Is Supergirl
Superman Returns backdrop with Man of Steel lettering. I decided to use Lion Tayla because of the requisite primary colours (or close enough). If this seems like a disservice to Brisbane, never fear, several of her ex-teammates are on my to-do list.
AFLW_Poster_TaylaHarris_zpscis4rbe9.png

Daisy's Demons
Wanted to focus on Melbourne's P.O.P. (Pearce-O'Dea-Paxman) midfield, but there was more material to work with by replacing the latter for inaugural franchise recruit Mel Hickey (bit of a bummer since she's another one who has since switched clubs). Obviously, this is a Charlie's Angels reference (the 2000 movie). Hopefully less obvious: the legs you see here are from separate photos, and except for Daisy's they in fact belong to players from other clubs.
AFLW_Poster_DaisyPearce_zpslgasgiat.png

Steph Chiocci: Prima Footballerina
Black Swan artwork for the way the Collingwood captain dances through traffic and pirouettes out of tackles.
AFLW_Poster_StephChiocci_zpsctnk4lbg.png

Alicia Eva: The Greyhound
Pursued a Run Lola Run homage after discovering the French version of the poster. The results here don't look much like the source material (the one on the right was made as an afterthought to address that, with only partial success), but it was a solid starting block.
AFLW_Poster_zAliciaEva_zpsz9d79vwk.png

Ellie Blackburn: Pup Friction
Originally had this space greenlit for Jackie Brown except that poster doesn't give many visual cues to work with, so I shifted to another '90s Tarantino offering for the league's best user of the ball by foot.
AFLW_Poster_EllieBlackburn_zps5ecybcam.png

Dana Hooker: Anatomically Impressive Blonde
AFLW_Poster_DanaHooker_zpsp3nxup0u.png

Mad Marinoff
Chelsea Randall didn't feature here because I couldn't get the photo I desired in a high-enough resolution, Ebony Marinoff a worthy substitute for this Fury Road homage.
AFLW_Poster_EbonyMarinoff_zps0tjnqn1r.png

More posters coming soon to a thread near you.

Part II.

Sabrina Frederick-Traub Is SFT
Not inspired by one specific movie, more so a broad graphic design trope--the kind recycled by the likes of Salt, Lucy and Joy: succinct title written in tall compact font on top of a serious-looking and seriously good-looking woman. So this is my attempt to make the Big Letter Poster to end all BLPs.
AFLW_Poster_zSabrinaFrederickTraub2_zpsa65bjhhd.png

Monique Conti Floats Like a Butterfly...
Conti's spatial awareness and graceful movement in full flight mimics a monarch fluttering in the wind. As for the rest of what I was thinking, it's probably easier to break it down with pictures:
AFLW_Poster_zMoniqueConti2_zps4kya08px.png

AFLW_Poster_zMoniqueConti1_zps6cpxoei6.png

...Jess Dal Pos Stings Like a Wasp
And sometimes 160cm JDP also looks like similarly slight teammate Rebecca Beeson out on the ground. That said, no mistaking her sharp left-foot, often threading passes into gaps even Ant-Man and his big screen co-star would have to squeeze through.
AFLW_Poster_zJessDalPos5_zpsvvndt57e.png

Ebony Antonio: The Long Kick Goodnight
AFLW_Poster_zEbonyAntonio4_zpsgvmr3nai.png

Chloe Molloy Bombs Away!
You'd be hard pressed to guess the referenced movie here is box-office flop Barely Lethal, nevertheless the generic tattered border is directly taken from its theatrical poster.
AFLW_Poster_zChloeMolloy2_zpsur6ger5r.png

Ms. Karen Pax-man
Peak silliness, but I am for real when I say I'd back her more than most to win a ground-level contest while outnumbered, say, 4-1.
AFLW_Poster_zKarenPaxman1_zpsphmfzb88.png

Chelsea Randall Holds Her Nerve
Google imagesed stuff like "nervous system" and "cells" to fill the bottom-right corner with something to drive the point home just a little bit further.
AFLW_Poster_zChelseaRandall2_zpsf6ngucrs.png

B-rihanna Davey Runs a Tight Battleship
In light of the recent goofy attempt to honour the new captains of Carlton's men's team (which I hope a certain graphic designer / goal sneak had nothing to do with) I thought I'd try a slightly more earnest approach to the same idea, hence a lack of sailor hat.
AFLW_Poster_zBriDavey3_zpsocecnrpv.png

Balcony closed for now. Not sure if I've got another set of 8 in me before next season, but there's definitely 4-5 players I want to get to as soon as the right concept comes to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back