Women's Footy AFLW - Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants Saturday 25th Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

As soon as the game moved away from stoppage after stoppage and we were able to get some clean ball we didn't look threatened. Given the skill level of most of the girls, strong marking players and an effective forward 50 defensive structure (to keep the ball in) goes a long way. Capitalising on dropped marks and errant kicks from the kickout is a good way to add an extra goal or two per match.

Arrived at quarter time and just switched where I was standing from the end we were kicking towards at each quarter break which was a great decision because it meant bit missing much. Ashmore, Sabs and Virgo were all brilliant. Would love a tall that is such a bull at ground level and can mark like Sabs in the mens' side. I reckon she would have gone for a full climb if she was confident that her opponent wouldn't have buckled but that grab was still probably mark of the year.

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! So refreshing to see people in Brisbane Lions jerseys tackling and being bloody hard at the ball! It was also lovely to see some defensive structures!! Seriously do the men watch the girls? Sad to say they might learn something

Went to my first game today, so happy to be there, the girls were unbelievable. I have watched the first 3 games on the box, the improvement over the first 4 rounds has been amazing.

The goals scored today were all from opportunities created from hard work at the stoppages, its a credit to them.

Next week in Adelaide is going to be a spectacle.

Bring on the next home game.

Virgo @ 2:36 - the perfect "Don't even start" shove and looks straight away for another shepherd. Didn't see that one up close in the game, how awesome was that.

I will say I really dislike the venue, hot as hades and stuff all shade. Unless you are in the sun on the fence you can't see the whole ground.

I will say I really dislike the venue, hot as hades and stuff all shade. Unless you are in the sun on the fence you can't see the whole ground.

I quite like the venue. Have had no problem two weeks in a row finding a good spot. In fact we went from one good spot to another today and had great views both times. Where were you standing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Furst tine the Lions have won 4 in a row since rounds 1-4 2010

I remember the hype in those first 4 rounds. Everyone raving about the brown/fev combo. Premiership threat.

Then, hello darkness my old friend.

When did a Lions team last win 5 in a row? 2007?

Edit rounds 14-18 2007
Last time we won by more than a 100 too in that run. And Browny kicked ten against Carlton.

Last time we won by more than a 100 too in that run. And Browny kicked ten against Carlton.

I remember that game so well. I was 14 at a family bbq, I stole my dads phone to listen to the game and was sitting away from all family. It was great lol.

I quite like the venue. Have had no problem two weeks in a row finding a good spot. In fact we went from one good spot to another today and had great views both times. Where were you standing?
I was trying to find some shade in front of the screen, but spent time at both ends behind the goals. Admittedly probably wasnt in the best frame of mind for the day.

I was trying to find some shade in front of the screen, but spent time at both ends behind the goals. Admittedly probably wasnt in the best frame of mind for the day.

If you head out to the next game, I'd recommend getting there early and scouting out one of the light posts at the ground. Underneath is shaded and amazing for watching the game. I spent most of the day there. Before that, we were around the wing opposite from the club house on the little hill. Decent view and there were a bunch of trees for shade. :)

Had family things to do and watched the last 2 quarters yesterday. Third Q was great and one day we'll kick straight and put on a big score. Importantly, fitness looked good. The key to the team is the defence - they know when to play off and when to 'man-up'.

We ran the game out which was good to see as this comp could come down to survival of the fittest.
Need to improve the discipline and not give away those 50 metre penalties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back