Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad to see Angie Gogos and Lauren Spark retiring. Both premiership players and foundation players, and have been solid throughout their time here. I guess injury eventually got the better of both of them, especially Gogos who's been crueled by injuries due to her size (and part of the reason she went from a midfielder to defender). I wish them the best in retirement.

Bulldogs playing the Magpies in the VFLW at the Holden Centre tomorrow/Saturday (no crowd allowed... except for the people just wondering on by!)

Radio coverage (with pre-game show and coaches interviews) from 11am via WARFRadio.com

Video stream from just before 12pm via the link below...

Bulldogs playing the Magpies in the VFLW at the Holden Centre tomorrow/Saturday (no crowd allowed... except for the people just wondering on by!)

Radio coverage (with pre-game show and coaches interviews) from 11am via WARFRadio.com

Video stream from just before 12pm via the link below...

Was a gun at the Dees, couldn't seem to replicate the form at the Cats. Wonder if she plays forward? Feel like Izzy and Bonnie make a good one-two punch as it is.
She is a different sort of player than them though. If she can learn to be a crumber and not try to be a lead up forward, she could do well.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was a gun at the Dees, couldn't seem to replicate the form at the Cats. Wonder if she plays forward? Feel like Izzy and Bonnie make a good one-two punch as it is.
I think we need her strength and maturity in the middle, at least in bursts.
We have McLeod and Lochland who have been good in the middle this year but are really dangerous around goal and I would like to see them spend more time up forward going forward.

I think we need her strength and maturity in the middle, at least in bursts.
We have McLeod and Lochland who have been good in the middle this year but are really dangerous around goal and I would like to see them spend more time up forward going forward.
Yeah, that's a fair call.

A loss today but we were with Collingwood (who are undefeated) until the last quarter. In fact we had the same number of shots at 3QT and then they blew us away in the last. We were missing McMahon who was a big out but there were plenty of positives and most importantly we are getting games into our AFLW listed players with Gutknect and Hartwig both outstanding, Hartwig even contested a ruck contest a first for her in VFLW/AFLW. You can find the full player stats below...

Disposal Efficiency
WB: 48%
CO: 60%

Kicking Efficiency
WB: 40%
CO: 50%

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
66 - Gamble (19 / 5)
20 - Ruedin (14 / 1)
2 - Pritchard (1 / 0)
1 - Marshall (1 / 0)
1 - Friend (0 / 0)
1 - Hartwig (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 6
CO: 10

First Possessions
WB: 36
CO: 34

Clearances / Centre Clearances

WB: 25 / 5

CO: 35 / 7

Contested Marks
CO: 17

Marks Inside 50
WB: 5
CO: 9

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 7
CO: 5

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 3
CO: 2

Score Launches
1 - Fitzgerald, Hartwig, Ruedin

Inside 50 Efficiency
WB: 23%
CO: 59%

Shots At Goal
WB: 7 (14%)

CO: 16 (69%)

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Gutknecht
1 - Ferres, Fitzgerald, Grant, Lagioia, Meier, Vale

Forward 50 Turnovers
WB: 25
CO: 12

Defensive 50 Turnovers
WB: 5
CO: 4

Ranking Points
141 - Marshall
118 - Pritchard
96 - Gamble
94 - Ferres
93 - Hartwig
90 - Fitzgerald
82 - Tessari
79 - Grant
70 - Gutknecht
68 - Hards
62 - Condon
56 - Lagioia
51 - Morrison
50 - Friend
47 - Scott
45 - Strahan
44 - Meier
43 - Vale
42 - Ruedin
29 - Gogos
0 - Skenderis
-1 - Betts

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 8.07.31 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 8.07.41 pm.png

Player Stats Table
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 8.09.02 pm.png

Last edited:
Marshall was very good but she got a lot of her points because it went inside their 50 a lot. Hartwig, Gutknecht and Pritchard were probably my top 3 from the game.
I was surprised she was the only one delisted - thought she was going ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dissapointing to miss finals by percentage but still an impressive second half of the season and managed to get plenty of games into our AFLW list. Now as always here are the stats from the weekend's match...

Disposal Efficiency
WB: 56%
CA: 59%

Kicking Efficiency
WB: 44%
CA: 53%

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
41 - McMahon (25 / 9)
19 - Pritchard (10 / 2)
4 - Ruedin (3 / 1)
1 - Marshall (0 / 0)
1 - Sandral (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 12
CA: 4

First Possessions
WB: 33
CA: 25

Clearances / Centre Clearances

WB: 30 / 8
CA: 23 / 3

Contested Marks

WB: 7
CA: 8

Marks Inside 50
WB: 11
CA: 6

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 8
CA: 11

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
CA: 6

Score Launches
2 - Hartwig, McMahon
1 - Grant, Lagioia, Pritchard, Marshall, Condon, Morrison, Scott, Hards, Betts, Dojiok, Meier

Inside 50 Efficiency
WB: 51%
CA: 23%

Shots At Goal
WB: 20 (25%)
CA: 7 (57%)

Ranking Points
167 - Lagioia
142 - Marshall
122 - Gutknecht
111 - Georgostathis
109 - McMahon
103 - Fitzgerald
102 - Pritchard
92 - Skenderis
84 - Hartwig
79 - Betts
78 - Strahan
76 - Hards
69 - Sandral
69 - Meier
49 - Morrison
44 - Ruedin
43 - Condon
40 - Grant
39 - Tessari
35 - Dojiok
34 - Scott

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.08.54 pm.png

Score Sources

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.09.05 pm.png

Player Stats Table
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.05.39 pm.png

Bulldogs/Melbourne Father-Daughter Georgia Campbell named in All Australian Under 19 side as a forward

Exciting key forward/ruck who is athletic and wins the ball in the air and at ground level. Father Adrian played for both Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs so is eligible to sign for either team under the Draft rules. Originally from the Knox Falcons Football Club she also has won the state title in the high jump at Under 16s level confirming her elite natural leap. Averaged 12 disposals (6.5 contested) 2.5 marks in matches against Victoria Country and Western Australia.

Bulldogs/Melbourne Father-Daughter Georgia Campbell named in All Australian Under 19 side as a forward

Exciting key forward/ruck who is athletic and wins the ball in the air and at ground level. Father Adrian played for both Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs so is eligible to sign for either team under the Draft rules. Originally from the Knox Falcons Football Club she also has won the state title in the high jump at Under 16s level confirming her elite natural leap. Averaged 12 disposals (6.5 contested) 2.5 marks in matches against Victoria Country and Western Australia.

Adrian came from Traralgon, which was for decades, our country recruting zone. He wore #3, and played 30 games for us, and only 2 for them. I don't see how this is even a debate. If it was the other Bulldog/Demon Campbell TC's daughter, I'd understand eligibility for both. This is like saying Dougie's kids can play for Brisbane because of his 21 gams for Fitzroy in 1995, wven though he played 329 for us. (I get the rules are relaxed for the AFLW, but this example is just taking the p1ss.)

Adrian came from Traralgon, which was for decades, our country recruting zone. He wore #3, and played 30 games for us, and only 2 for them. I don't see how this is even a debate. If it was the other Bulldog/Demon Campbell TC's daughter, I'd understand eligibility for both. This is like saying Dougie's kids can play for Brisbane because of his 21 gams for Fitzroy in 1995, wven though he played 329 for us. (I get the rules are relaxed for the AFLW, but this example is just taking the p1ss.)
And given those supporting the Dogs in the late 80’s were teased and tortured by Campbell’s 30 games - he was the next KPF hope - we deserve to have first dibs at his daughter (I hope that comes out right)!

And given those supporting the Dogs in the late 80’s were teased and tortured by Campbell’s 30 games - he was the next KPF hope - we deserve to have first dibs at his daughter (I hope that comes out right)!
His career was cruelly cut short by injury for those who don't know

Georgia has nominated Melbourne. That's a bit disappointing.

https://womens.afl/news/73318/father-daughter-product-headed-for-melbourne

With the AFLW draft tomorrow, has anyone got any thoughts or predictions on who we might take in the draft with 22, 25 and 27?

Draft central have there AFLW draft guide out which is a good read, and the AFLW site have some videos on a few of the prospects.
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/
https://womens.afl/talent-pathway/draft/victoria

I would like to see us add a pure winger to the list to allow McLeod and Lochland to spend more time close to goal.
Aurora Smith seems to be the highest rated and may last to our first pick, otherwise Makaylah Appleby has genuine speed and X factor, but lacks consistency.

If we look to replace Rennie with a developing ruck, Tahlia Gillard from the Calder Cannons could be an option around our picks and is a good height at 190cm.

With most of our list being so young it is hard to know what else we will be looking for in the draft. Our midfield needs bolstering so a mature aged mid might be a good option, otherwise if the club feels that some internal growth and development can account for that we could look at some younger options.
Keeley Sherar, Eliza James, Zali Friswell and Brooke Vickers all look like high upside mids who should be available around our picks, otherwise we could draft Brooke Hards who missed out getting drafted last year but has been playing well for Footscray in the VFLW. If our AFLW drafting is anything like our AFL drafting playing for Footscray is a great pathway to the senior list.

Another interesting prospect is Nyakoat Dojiok who I believe came through our NGA academy and is a tall rebounding defender. Most draft watchers seem to think she will go higher than our picks but I have a completely baseless suspicion that she could slip to our picks. I think clubs are very aware of making these young women's football career as easy for them as possible and I wonder whether clubs might see us as the easiest fit for her based on her background and being from Ballarat. Geelong is the other club that may appeal being a smaller town and relatively close to Ballarat. The other question is whether she is a fit for our list with Hartwig, Brown and Lynch really stepping up last year.

I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts or opinions.

I have seen Zali Friswell up close and believe she would be a good choice.

She uses the ball very well and has good strength.

She didn't really get an opportunity for Vic Metro in the midfield.

I hope she is available when it comes to our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back