Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats v Dogs may be postponed as apparently the Dogs have 10 players unavailable due to covid protocols.
This is where the AFL needs to make a stance and not be dictated to. It's farcical and the AFL has enough money to fight for their right to have matches played as per schedule. If they don't do something about this now, season 2022 will be an absolute s**t show.

Cats v Dogs may be postponed as apparently the Dogs have 10 players unavailable due to covid protocols.
More than that even - up to 15 either positive or isolating as close contacts.

Going to be very interesting to see how the AFL handles this one given the precedent it will set moving forward for both the women's and men's comps.

This is where the AFL needs to make a stance and not be dictated to. It's farcical and the AFL has enough money to fight for their right to have matches played as per schedule. If they don't do something about this now, season 2022 will be an absolute sh*t show.

You can't play if you don't have players

You can't play if you don't have players
That's just bad luck. Sign players to ten day contracts then. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

GWS had 21 fit players on their list several seasons ago. The AFL didn't postpone that fixture.

That's just bad luck. Sign players to ten day contracts then. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

GWS had 21 fit players on their list several seasons ago. The AFL didn't postpone that fixture.

The Stars v Renegades game last week was a joke when the Stars had about 6 regular players available. That was treating the competition as a joke.

There is no way the AFL will do it to the mens comp and they should not be doing to the women's comp

Last edited:
The Stars v Renegades game last week was a joke when the Stars had about 6 regular players available. That was treating the competition as a joke.

There is no way the AFL will do it to the means comp and they should not be doing to the women's comp
They're doing it in the NBA. It is what it is. I think it's the best was to deal with a s**t situation.

AFLW 2022: Covid protocols cause major headache for Western Bulldogs-Geelong fixture
An AFLW clash scheduled for this weekend could be in doubt as Covid protocols continue to play havoc with the season.

Lauren Wood Lauren Wood
Follow

@LaurenHeraldSun

5 min read
January 12, 2022 - 2:43PM

An AFL Women’s game scheduled for this weekend could be in doubt due to Covid-19 protocols.
The Herald Sun understands that the Western Bulldogs clash with Geelong - set for Saturday night at GMHBA Stadium - could be forced to be postponed due to player availability.
It is understood that the Western Bulldogs have a significant portion of their senior list, including skipper Ellie Blackburn, currently in isolation due to state government Covid-19 rules and the AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

The club has been contacted for comment.
The AFL is monitoring the situation and will not make a call on the game’s status until closer to the date and until the situation becomes clearer.
AFL Women’s clubs need to have 16 senior listed players available for a game to go ahead, to be supplemented by top-up players who have been training with teams in recent weeks.
If a team has less than 16 senior players available, games could be rescheduled or even cancelled under the league’s contingency plans.
Bulldogs captain Ellie Blackburn is in isolation. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/Getty

Bulldogs captain Ellie Blackburn is in isolation. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/Getty
The AFL remains committed to getting AFLW games played and awarding a premier in coming months.

The Cats also have several players in isolation.
The situation raises questions about how the ongoing Covid situation can be managed if games are already being affected.
MORE TO COME...

They're doing it in the NBA. It is what it is. I think it's the best was to deal with a sh*t situation.

The rules have already been set, as long as there are 16 senior players available the match will be played, if not then it will be rescheduled or the points shared.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 7.05.19 pm.png

Could be a blessing in disguise. Our season wasn't looking too hopeful. Might be a good idea to cancel this season and we come back in 2023 bigger and better

The season will be played no matter what but there might be a week or two of postponed matches. The AFLW will do anything to avoid the 2020 situation.

The best outcome for us at the moment is the Geelong match being postponed to later in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dogs and Brisbane are not playing this week.

The Cats are now playing Brisbane.

We have been screwed over and will now play the Lions at a later date, and no longer play the Cats

Any idea/indication what happens to those that have purchased tickets to this week's game (i.e. me!)?

We have been screwed over and will now play the Lions at a later date, and no longer play the Cats

Can't agree sorry, considering the circumstances it's an excellent result for us. We don't have to field a reserves team or potentially give away 2 points for a no result.

Yes the Lions are a better team than the Cats but until every team plays each other once the competition is fundamentally unfair so it's largely irrelevant who we play at the moment.

Yes the Lions are a better team than the Cats but until every team plays each other once the competition is fundamentally unfair so it's largely irrelevant who we play at the moment.

The fact that every team does not play each other once is exactly why it is relevant as to who you do play.

Can't agree sorry, considering the circumstances it's an excellent result for us. We don't have to field a reserves team or potentially give away 2 points for a no result.

The fact that every team does not play each other once is exactly why it is relevant as to who you do play.

I think you both have a valid point here.

Playing Cats would be a far more likely win than playing Lions.

However, playing Cats without Huntington and Blackburn, which was scenario early in the week, would have made it a much closer game, possibly even a loss.

At the end of the day, the AFL (and by association the AFLW) seem manifestly incapable of running an uncompromised competition - I have little confidence that the AFLW competition will ever be an outright "everyone plays each other once" format.

Since the start of the 2011 season in the AFL we have played H&A:

Adelaide - 12
Brisbane - 16
Carlton - 13
Collingwood - 13
Essendon - 13
Fitzroy - 0
Fremantle - 14
Geelong - 14
Gold Coast - 14
GWS - 12 (only entered comp in 2011)
Hawthorn - 12
Melbourne - 16
North - 17
Port - 14
Richmond - 12
St Kilda - 14
Sydney - 14
West Coast - 17

I can handle a 1-2, maybe even 3 game discrepancy over say a rolling 5 year period. But how can we have played some clubs 12 times and others 17 times over an 11 season period?! As we all know (too well), that is a combination of derbies/showdowns, clubs having ongoing exclusive fixtures against specific opponents, and just general incompetence.

(The fact that we have played 0 games against Fitzroy in that period, a renowned easy-beat, has probably cost us finals appearances too, I haven't done a deep-dive into that data as yet!)

A similar comparison against the inaugural AFLW teams from 2017:

Adelaide - 4
Brisbane - 3
Carlton - 5
Collingwood - 4
Fremantle - 4
GWS - 3
Melbourne - 5

Yes, AFLW draw has been all over the shop as well, 7 games for a few seasons, then 6 in 2020 and 9 last year, and new teams introduced. And we seem to have some sort of 'marquee' games v Carlton (Pride) and Melbourne. But it will head in the same direction, i.e. total and utter mismanagement.

I've seen the AFL "fixture" described as the most complex in world sport. That's by design of the AFL.

This article:

even quotes:

1642056871293.png

Well, bugger me, it's a good thing other world sports like soccer, basketball, etc don't have national competitions that involve playing across state borders at different venues, different time zones... oh, hang on...
(Sorry, turned that into another rant.)

Was just about to post this. Can't believe this. Just shattering she couldn't even play in the practice match, let alone an actual game.

Also, as for not being able field a team, that is just unbelievable. Yeah covid, I know, but the AFL have really screwed up trying to expand so fast that list aren't big enough. First years of insane poaching (with mostly laughable compensation) and now this. Just sucks.

Yeah covid, I know, but the AFL have really screwed up trying to expand so fast that list aren't big enough. First years of insane poaching (with mostly laughable compensation) and now this. Just sucks.

The current list cap is primarily due to the AFL not wanting to spend money, not so much the talent pool. Yes in the first couple of seasons the talent pool was thin but in the last couple of seasons it's really expanded.

The SANFL, WAFL, QAFL, NTFL and AFLS have really invested a lot into their women's programs and the depth has increased dramatically. The Victorian pool is a little behind due to COVID but also lack of opportunity outside club level. Both the SANFL and WAFL women's programs have a senior, reserves and underage competition while the VFL just have the senior and the NAB League.

Also expect the men's season to go through the exact same thing, there is no question that top up players will be required at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back