Game Day AFLW - Carlton v Collingwood Season Opener Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst the individual skills might have improved a bit, as a spectacle it was bog ordinary. No goals after half time, 1 point scored in the last qtr in conditions perfect for football. And this is not an AFLW footy issue because I've seen some terrible AFL footy as well.

The big difference is skill execution under pressure and because both sides last night were applying a lot of defensive pressure we saw a lot of poor execution. This was particularly evident when the ball went inside 50 - the forwards were unable to convert many inside 50s to scores.

Gotta be reasonable here, the men are fully professional, train all the time and put a lot of training time into executing in pressure situations. Until the women are fully paid professionals, comparing skills and fitness will never be fair. It will take time, but one day we will get there.

The big difference is skill execution under pressure and because both sides last night were applying a lot of defensive pressure we saw a lot of poor execution. This was particularly evident when the ball went inside 50 - the forwards were unable to convert many inside 50s to scores.

Gotta be reasonable here, the men are fully professional, train all the time and put a lot of training time into executing in pressure situations. Until the women are fully paid professionals, comparing skills and fitness will never be fair. It will take time, but one day we will get there.

I wasn't comparing them to men at all, I went and watched a couple of great games of AFLW last season, my neice plays for Melbourne. Last night's game just wasn't one for the ages.

I wasn't comparing them to men at all, I went and watched a couple of great games of AFLW last season, my neice plays for Melbourne. Last night's game just wasn't one for the ages.

Sorry, I wasn't saying YOU were comparing, that was just my observation. The girls are playing with intensity and applying great pressure, but the skills are not (yet) holding up under pressure.
Hence, the match was exciting to watch, but low scoring and a bit frustrating. There were a number of moments where I thought "Oh yes! We must score here.... what... noooooo!!!"

Top5Rd1AFLWPicFinal.jpg

In a word, disappointing.
I was expecting better skills and better execution / game plan from us.
We didn’t look like we knew or even practised the short running game at all and when we did have an option short or wide of play we would miss the target!
We where lucky in the end as I felt they where the better team and certaintly played the better footy.

7 newbies
Pies have had 12 months to get their s**t together
The pressure was 30% harder than last year
We spent tickets early, think we were a little over excited bu the occasion.
Lost our structure a bit.
Dominated early parts of each of the last 3/4's but ran out of juice. Which reinforces we went too hard.

BUT.
Harris was a standout
The Maddie Gay looks likely
If G.Gee stops running over the footy she will be something else.

My BOG was Loynes

Skills will improve when they get as long a real preseason as the men get, they play a full season (remember adding teams in the future will dilute talent pool only in the short term).

It is a glorified amateurs competition at the moment but I am happy with the baby steps.

I'd leave Vescio where she is and move Davey into the midfield. Now that we have Stevens we could probably afford to move her.
Agree on Davey with the recruitment of Harris + Stevens id have both Davey + Vescio spending a fair chunk of the game in the middle . I agree with ODN lets get our best ball handlers and class into the middle . We were pretty much defending for our lives for 3 quarters last night unable to control possession of the ball and the tempo and lucky to get away with the win .
That wont hold up for a full season and against the better sides . Jmo :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a word, disappointing.
I was expecting better skills and better execution / game plan from us.
We didn’t look like we knew or even practised the short running game at all and when we did have an option short or wide of play we would miss the target!
We where lucky in the end as I felt they where the better team and certaintly played the better footy.
Taylah was the difference tbh. I thought Collingwood played better team footy but they fell away going into f50 because our defensive unit is bloody great.

Gab Pound was everywhere, just her disposal was a let down.

Kate Shierlaw said in an after game interview the game felt lots quicker than last year and the OOB rule meant that most of the game was played through the middle. Meaning there wasn't too much time to catch a breath at stoppages. Much more fatigue. Which I think led to (or made worse) many skill errors.

I think it was Nathan Burke on ABC mentioned that even two weeks ago Collingwood were doing a hard running unit at training, which would normally be done at the start of preseason. They were also training 4 times a week compared to 3 for most teams (including us). How much difference does this make?

7 newbies
Pies have had 12 months to get their s**t together
The pressure was 30% harder than last year
We spent tickets early, think we were a little over excited bu the occasion.
Lost our structure a bit.
Dominated early parts of each of the last 3/4's but ran out of juice. Which reinforces we went too hard.

BUT.
Harris was a standout
The Maddie Gay looks likely
If G.Gee stops running over the footy she will be something else.

My BOG was Loynes
I agree with all of this.

Loynes is a wrecking ball. Bloody awesome.

I think it was Nathan Burke on ABC mentioned that even two weeks ago Collingwood were doing a hard running unit at training, which would normally be done at the start of preseason. They were also training 4 times a week compared to 3 for most teams (including us). How much difference does this make?
Last year players were contracted to the club for a set number of contact hours per week, from memory 9 hours. I'd assume there's something similar for 2018, so if we're doing an extra session it's likely the training volume is more spread. It's an interesting thought - is 4 shorter sessions better than 3 longer ones?

Last year players were contracted to the club for a set number of contact hours per week, from memory 9 hours. I'd assume there's something similar for 2018, so if we're doing an extra session it's likely the training volume is more spread. It's an interesting thought - is 4 shorter sessions better than 3 longer ones?
Slight change to hours this year...
  • The players will now commit 13-15 hours per week during pre-season and 10 hours in season. Match day hours are on top of the 10-hour week.
Might be that the Pies were taking advantage of the extra time before the season started?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back