Autopsy AFLW Collingwood v Melbourne; Good and Bad and occasionally Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I figure since there isn't vast traffic I'll leave this thread open and just rechristen it as the autopsy thread.

I liked the third quarter and the fourth quarter. I didn't much like the first half though - we look horrible when the confidence is low.

its hard to tell on television, but I couldn't help thinking the umpires are paying marks for kicks that travel what looks like about ten metres. Constantly.

The Good
It's A...
Pies board on BigFooty in complete meltdown (seriously, go have a look)
O'Dea - star
Cat Phillips - Livewire city

The Bad
The first half

The Ugly
The hit on Downie - the Collingwood player will get weeks for that

The Good
It's A...
O'Dea - star

The Bad
The first half

The Ugly
To the Pies board!

Great win. The sound in the stands was great, we were right behind Phillips when she snapped that goal and the place erupted. I guess having some Carlton fans cheering against the Pies worked well for us too.

O'Dea was sensational, Phillips was great, Paxman good too. Our tackling switched on in the second half and made a massive difference.

Despite the best efforts of the umpires we still won . Daisy led from the front even if her kicking is a bit random atm. The second half was pretty good to watch.

They were also handing out AFLW footy cards (all Dees players, but I think they have Collingwood packs too), which I thought was pretty awesome. Good work by Select and the AFL.
Did you spot Roos and, if yes, did you tell him not to talk to Eddie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Good
It's A...
O'Dea - star

The Bad
The first half

The Ugly
Meltdown seems more a one man show

Good when I moved seats and we kicked 4 in a row at that end. It was reminiscent of a game I went to in 2000 when I was sitting in the great southern stand and dad decided to move to the Olympic at half time, jeff farmer kicked 9 goals in the second half.

Bad the first half.

Ugly the disgruntled Collingwood supporter in the toilets talking to himself about the one sided game after half time, and how pathetic it was. Though could argue such passion from a supporter is good for the sport.

Its been an interesting comp so far.

The lack of consistency is jarring at times. I expect this to change a bit once the competition is a few years old, but it's surprising to see excellent play from time to time followed directly by some truely horrible execution. The first half I was getting pretty impatient with some of the kicking and some horrible turnovers that made me think we had smuggled in TMac after force feeding him magic mushrooms.

Third quarter we were flying. I hope to see more of that now that we've got the win and the nerves can settle a bit.

I have to say though that the very physical nature of some of the play plus a number of players not yet having great skills makes me a bit nervous of player safety. I think the AFL needs to sort out any s**t with the lights too - that's an accident just waiting to happen.

Daisy is a kind of pint-sized Dangerfield. Some great stuff plus a bit of spraying disposal randomly sometimes, but she's practically everywhere.

Never doubted us...

Amazing how the switch flicked after half time, I can't really put my finger on what the difference was except winning some more clearances and one on ones. Playing Pearce forward early was a mistake, she was well beaten then by Chiocci who is all silk. Thought Paxman was best on for us. Funny how some players can look great by foot one minute and then woeful the next.

Hope the Collingwood player who KO'd Downie gets multiple weeks, that was really poor.

Erase the first half from my memory please but play the third quarter on repeat.

We have a really strong core of players (our top 12 or so) and you could tell when they're skills are on how much that opens up the game.

O'Dea, Paxman, Mithen & Phillips standouts, but also impressed by the kick of Berry (her pass to Anderson which set up Mifsud's goal was sweet, and she can give it a roost as well) and the attack of Lampard and Patterson.

I have to say though that the very physical nature of some of the play plus a number of players not yet having great skills makes me a bit nervous of player safety. I think the AFL needs to sort out any s**t with the lights too - that's an accident just waiting to happen.

I know what you mean. There also seems to be a fair bit of 'push the player in front into a contest' around the stoppages etc. Haven't seen it policed very heavily but it won't end well unless the AFL put a stop to it.

I feel for the umpires; I think they're using the AFLW to train the next gen of AFL umpires but I do think the miss some stuff. Sometimes it seems they don't have the confidence to make a tough call. Just speculation of course.

Good news everyone, the replay is now available via the AFL website! This has been updated in the replay archive and will be updated again should it become available by any other source. For the meantime, enjoy! (Even if it is the AFL's terrible website)

Round 2 - [1ST] [2ND] [3RD] [4TH] - Collingwood vs Melbourne

I know what you mean. There also seems to be a fair bit of 'push the player in front into a contest' around the stoppages etc. Haven't seen it policed very heavily but it won't end well unless the AFL put a stop to it.

I feel for the umpires; I think they're using the AFLW to train the next gen of AFL umpires but I do think the miss some stuff. Sometimes it seems they don't have the confidence to make a tough call. Just speculation of course.
Can confirm that it's a ump training ground. Umpires are sourced from the AFL academy - they're in training, wouldn't even umpire VFL, more like TAC Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back