Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 players out of the 102 taken in the draft were recruited out of the SANFLW, plus Ebony O'Dea redrafted who was also originally from SA. Punching above our weight in that regard!

For interest's sake, the breakdown:

25 - NAB League
24 - VFLW
14 - SANFWL (+1 for Ebony O'Dea)
13 - QAFLW
11 - WAFLW
6 - Sydney AFL
4 - AFL Canberra
2 - AFL Hunter Central Coast
2 - TWFL

14 players out of the 102 taken in the draft were recruited out of the SANFLW, plus Ebony O'Dea redrafted who was also originally from SA. Punching above our weight in that regard!

For interest's sake, the breakdown:

25 - NAB League
24 - VFLW
14 - SANFWL (+1 for Ebony O'Dea)
13 - QAFLW
11 - WAFLW
6 - Sydney AFL
4 - AFL Canberra
2 - AFL Hunter Central Coast
2 - TWFL
One of our NT girls was drafted to Collingwood

Are games still free to attend in 2020?

Looking at membership options...

From what has been said so far it seems that games will still be free to attend next year. I fork out the extra bit for the women's membership as I want to support the team a bit more. I can understand people not being able to do it, but I have it added on to my direct debit.

The tour during one of the training sessions has always been great. Got my hands on the first Premiership Cup and I plan on getting my hands on our second one as well. I didn't use the seats set aside for those members last season, but that is because I go with my parents and they don't have that level of membership.

The entire NT Thunder football club, men and women, was wound up by the AFL as part of it, in another strong showing from Gil and his merry men

I'm not convinced that it's such a bad thing. I expect that the NT Thunder would cost them an absolute bucketload to play in the NEAFL. If they're not getting the dividends in terms of drafted players or uptick in participation across the NT, then you'd have to wonder what the point is. Aligning the NT with Gold Coast may ultimately deliver a better result.

We’ve been lucky not only to have the 2 best leaders, but to me, they’re also the best 2 players across the entire league!

Would be interesting to see who will stand up as new leaders and be our next Chelsea and Erin.
Well, for next year at least it looks like it's going to be Chelsea and Erin.

Sad to see she didn't get picked up, but fingers crossed she'll get a chance in a future season.

We wouldn't have even made the GF in 2017 if not for her. Even if this is the end of her AFLW journey, she'll forever be a premiership player and a Crows legend :thumbsu:
Not only remembered as a premiership player with us, but likely to be remembered as our first true cult heroine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to see she didn't get picked up, but fingers crossed she'll get a chance in a future season.

We wouldn't have even made the GF in 2017 if not for her. Even if this is the end of her AFLW journey, she'll forever be a premiership player and a Crows legend :thumbsu:

shame that she wasn’t able to up her fitness levels in line with the improving quality of the league. Natural talent is off the charts, but you’ve got to be able to run further and faster now and be more professional. She made the changes necessary to get her into our club and be a key ingredient in season 1 flag, hopefully she does this again and returns in 2021.

She linked to her Instagram in that post and I clicked through, and there's some recent photos of her, and honestly, she looks great. I reckon she is getting her fitness better and better. I wouldn't be surprised if she does make it back in a future season.
I'm so surprised with 14 clubs no one picked her up.
Even for her experience you'd think she would be worth a shot.

I think she's lost her chance to play aflw now, won't get picked up again. Too much young talent coming through.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I'm so surprised with 14 clubs no one picked her up.
Even for her experience you'd think she would be worth a shot.

I think she's lost her chance to play aflw now, won't get picked up again. Too much young talent coming through.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
On looking back, I think she’s always had a limited ability in her speed and endurance. It was only her power that was used to good effect in our first season. With 2-3 seasons of gym, the other defenders have caught up to her power advantage, and causing too much of an advantage for the opposition. So I agree, going to be hard for her to be back at AFLW level.

From The Age:

Women's football sources have told The Age that the conferences will be divided as follows:

Collingwood, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle and West Coast in one conference

and St Kilda, Geelong, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney, Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast in the other.

---

The Victorian team split is bizarre. Why have five Victorian teams in one conference, and three in the other? GWS should be in conference A and a team like Collingwood in B

From The Age:

Women's football sources have told The Age that the conferences will be divided as follows:

Collingwood, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle and West Coast in one conference

and St Kilda, Geelong, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney, Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast in the other.

---

The Victorian team split is bizarre. Why have five Victorian teams in one conference, and three in the other? GWS should be in conference A and a team like Collingwood in B
They needed all 4 of Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond in one conference to get 'big games' I reckon.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

From The Age:

---

I think the splitting of teams is to do with the afl ladder rankings in previous season(s). This was how the conference groups were formed for last season. At least, this is the only thing I can think of which makes some sort of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back