Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, facility wise, just about the whole sanfl is trash. I can’t comment on player facilities at Norwood (the umpire rooms are in western stand while players are southern stand) but when it comes to fan facilities.

If I had to rank the ovals" there’s simply no way I could put Woodville, Richmond, unley or Elizabeth above Norwood oval. Even nourlunga I couldn’t do. And when thinking alberton/Glenelg/prospect/Norwood. I’m probably leaning to Norwood #1.

The surface is good besides the northern goal. Very uneven up there. Hazard for potential sprained ankles

And yes, seating/viewing points is pathetic. Unless you’re paying extra to sit in the members stand (which would be the best in the sanfl tbh) you either have to watch from the northern end. Or suffer uncomfortably all day.

I won’t comment on parking (I live across the road) but when I umpired underaged football with the sanfl I ranked my ovals to umpire on as

1) alberton
2) nourlunga
Daylight
3) Glenelg
4) Woodville
5) Richmond
6) prospect
7) unley
Daylight
8) Elizabeth
Daylight
9) Norwood

And that’s despite living a few houses down from the Greek church behind Norwood oval.

I think Noarlunga would be ideal for our AFLW matches.

we had a terrible spectator experience last time we went to see the crow girls at Norwood.

ban cars from inside noarlunga and you'd have those huge northern mounds full of spectators. it'd easily take 10,000 and have a great atmosphere.

Norwood is all concrete and terrible on a summer's day, that's even if you can see.

Noarlunga is too far from anywhere, you'll never get anyone from north, east, or west of the city. I live south of the city and I'd still think twice about going to Noarlunga to watch.
Yeah agree with you and I'm 5 minutes from the ground.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I think Noarlunga would be ideal for our AFLW matches.

we had a terrible spectator experience last time we went to see the crow girls at Norwood.

ban cars from inside noarlunga and you'd have those huge northern mounds full of spectators. it'd easily take 10,000 and have a great atmosphere.

Norwood is all concrete and terrible on a summer's day, that's even if you can see.

If I was in Adelaide and the AFLW was on I'd definitely go to Prospect, Glenelg Norwood, Unley or Thebarton. Richmond and Alberton possibly and a big fat no to Noarlunga and Elizabeth.

If I was in Adelaide and the AFLW was on I'd definitely go to Prospect, Glenelg Norwood, Unley or Thebarton. Richmond and Alberton possibly and a big fat no to Noarlunga and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Oval not that far these days, New Freeway make a big difference. Also has Public transport Trains and Buses 500m from the Oval.
Plenty of Free Car parking, and the Beer cold, Some good eating places within walking distance that also sell Cold beer.

Elizabeth Oval not that far these days, New Freeway make a big difference. Also has Public transport Trains and Buses 500m from the Oval.
Plenty of Free Car parking, and the Beer cold, Some good eating places within walking distance that also sell Cold beer.
Its still in Elizabeth

Super disappointing for Metcalfe. She's an important player, too. Any word on Hewett yet? (Edit: Just checked, no break, still waiting for an ETA on a return... goodish news, anyway!)

Finally got a chance to watch the replay. Interesting match, I'm hoping all the dropped marks are just a feature of the conditions. That being said, I also hope we're smart enough to set up assuming there are going to be dropped marks - don't be scared to run at an opposition player even if there's no chance of getting there before the ball, because there's every chance they'll drop it. Likewise, don't take options which rely on us taking a clean mark. I'm still convinced one of the main reasons we won the 2017 premiership was because we were the only team who seemed to realise we weren't going to be as polished as the men's team yet, and were happy to just get numbers to the ball and bustle it forward. Having that ridiculous last touch rule not count inside the 50m arcs will help that too.

Gee, Jess Foley was impressive! She looks like she can do it all, play any position, kicks well, composed under pressure, good hands, makes clever decisions. She had a blinder. I like the look of Scheer too, great kick on her. Marinoff looks like she's close to her best again. Phillips looked like she was just dusting off the cobwebs.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much longer Perkins has a place at AFLW level. I was such a huge fan in 2017, but the longer the competition goes on, the more athletic it's going to become, and at the moment she looks like she's struggling to get to the ball. If it's not a mark on the lead, she is effectively a non-factor, and while she's a long kick, she's not quite accurate enough to get away with only getting a few touches a game. I hope I'm wrong because I adored her in 2017 but sadly she looked more like the 2018 model here. Maybe she'll do better in less slippery conditions. Still laid a mean tackle at one point, gave me flashbacks to her destroying some poor girl in 2017.

I thought we structured up pretty well. Managed to get people back on the goal line which is good considering the average kick for goal doesn't make the distance on the full in AFLW. I thought we tackled well, especially in the second half.

Looking forward to the season starting :) Great to have AFLW back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elizabeth?

Grounds so big all games would end up a nil all draw. Being realistic, the girls can't kick far enough for Elizabeth to be viable for entertaining footy. They didn't call it the Ponderosa for nothing.

Elizabeth?

Grounds so big all games would end up a nil all draw. Being realistic, the girls can't kick far enough for Elizabeth to be viable for entertaining footy. They didn't call it the Ponderosa for nothing.

Noarlunga would be the same. Having said that, both grounds are being used for SANFL Women's matches, so I'm sure the girls will adapt over time.

As much as Norwood has it's flaws, it's small size makes it more suitable for women's footy at the moment. As does Unley, and Glenelg for that matter.

Elizabeth?

Elizabeth Oval 178m - 130m,
TIO Stadium - 175m - 135m ,

Oval better for spectators than Norwood, however, most supporters would be put off with the perceived journey. So I can understand the reasoning.

It’s still a massive no. I’m not taking that long a PT trip and I’ve no desire to enjoy the cafe culture of Elizabeth.

Elizabeth oval is a shithole, and barely different to any other sanfl ground in terms of comfort, access and viewing. Women’s footy on a 500ha paddock will be even more boring (sorry, low scoring) than it is already.

If they want to take AFLW seriously they need to take a leaf out of CA/SACAs book and boutique up a suburban oval like they’ve done with park 25.

Park 25, aka Karen Rolton Oval, is a good location for SACA to use as a training base and for grade lvel development, but beyond the handful of concrete terrace-type seats out the front of the only building it has no spectator facilities of which to speak. Karen Rolton Oval is more or less the cricket equivalent to football and Thebarton Oval - and Thebarton was already deemed insufficient to requirements. It would cost far, far too much money to acquire a suburban oval in a good location, and then build it into a boutique stadium. Certainly there's no chance of using any of the other Parklands ovals, the ACC would rightfully never allow a permanent commercial construction of the required magnitude.

The best option is the sole one they seem to have explored since the club was shot down hard over Kensington Park Oval, and that's taking an existing SANFL ground and renovating it to the required modern standard, ala Princes Park.

Park 25, aka Karen Rolton Oval, is a good location for SACA to use as a training base and for grade lvel development, but beyond the handful of concrete terrace-type seats out the front of the only building it has no spectator facilities of which to speak. Karen Rolton Oval is more or less the cricket equivalent to football and Thebarton Oval - and Thebarton was already deemed insufficient to requirements. It would cost far, far too much money to acquire a suburban oval in a good location, and then build it into a boutique stadium. Certainly there's no chance of using any of the other Parklands ovals, the ACC would rightfully never allow a permanent commercial construction of the required magnitude.

The best option is the sole one they seem to have explored since the club was shot down hard over Kensington Park Oval, and that's taking an existing SANFL ground and renovating it to the required modern standard, ala Princes Park.

Karen Rolton Oval's had a couple of WBBL matches, and will host a women's ODI against New Zealand in a couple of weeks. That in itself would be a dealbreaker for using Karen Rolton Oval during the AFLW season.

It’s still a massive no. I’m not taking that long a PT trip and I’ve no desire to enjoy the cafe culture of Elizabeth.

The irony of this being written by someone who lives in Alice Springs :D

Elizabeth is barely the end of the earth PT wise, and there are a number of decent cafes around Elizabeth City Centre. Sure, there's also a fair few bogans, but you'd be used to them in Alice Springs surely ;)

Nonetheless Elizabeth wouldn't be suitable for AFLW anyway. It's grandstand is too small, and there isn't a great deal of shade for the February/March heat associated with day AFLW matches (given Elizabeth's lights are not suitable for SANFL League matches, let alone AFLW matches without an upgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back