Western Bulldogs (home, Norwood)
Carlton (away, Ikon)
Geelong (home, Norwood)
Fremantle (home, TIO)
North Melbourne (away, Avalon Airport)
GWS (home, Unley)
Melbourne (away, Casey)

Don't play: Collingwood, Brisbane

AFLW Tipping - Win a Platinum Membership!

A year's Platinum membership and a shiny medal for the winner!

Tip now:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/pickem/

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixture is out!

We play:
Western Bulldogs (home, Norwood)
Carlton (away, Ikon)
Geelong (home, Norwood)
Fremantle (home, TIO)
North Melbourne (away, Avalon Airport)
GWS (home, Unley)
Melbourne (away, Casey)

Don't play: Collingwood, Brisbane

Freaking Avalon and Casey! The AFL are going out of their way to find venues that people will find it hard to go to.

I looked up Avalon Airport Oval and it's in Werribee - Still a mile away, but not as bad as the actual airport

Disappointed we don't get to play at Whitten Oval because that's nice and close

But Princes Park will be good to go to

Wont make any promises about Casey and Werribee this far out!

Would love to have swapped the Melbourne or North game with Collingwood and played at Vic Park - maybe next season

Unley is an interesting choice for an AFLW game, and I wish we just didn't play at Norwood at all for the AFLW.
Unley is bs
The only sanfl ground the umpires have to walk through one of the changerooms.
And considering there’s not enough female umpires at the necessary levels to officiate these games, you’ll be forcing males to walk through female changerooms to even get on the field.

And as much as I hate Norwood oval. The facilities there are good for the players.

If that unley game was at Norwood, I probably would have paid the $95 for the top tier women’s membership.
I can only make 2 games (rd 4 and 6) and I’m not paying that to sit in the grant stand at unley. Worth it at Norwood but not at unley.

Having said that. If they get a decent crowd at unley (10kish) how will everyone fit??? 7 is cramping.

Must say it didn't take long for the AFL to compromise the women's draw. Surely it couldn't have been that hard to arrange for a 9 round H&A season with each team playing against each other at least once.

Not too thrilled about Casey Fields, but I think they had matches their last year.

Unley is bs
The only sanfl ground the umpires have to walk through one of the changerooms.
And considering there’s not enough female umpires at the necessary levels to officiate these games, you’ll be forcing males to walk through female changerooms to even get on the field.

And as much as I hate Norwood oval. The facilities there are good for the players.

If that unley game was at Norwood, I probably would have paid the $95 for the top tier women’s membership.
I can only make 2 games (rd 4 and 6) and I’m not paying that to sit in the grant stand at unley. Worth it at Norwood but not at unley.

Having said that. If they get a decent crowd at unley (10kish) how will everyone fit??? 7 is cramping.

I wonder if that’ll change now Sturt have just about finished building their new changerooms underneath the Oatey Stand?

Absurd the teams dont all play each other.
Someone on the main board said something which made partial sense
Condition us now for when it does grow and we can’t actually do it properly due to ground availability etc,
Next year we expand to 14
13 games won’t fit in the AFLs window.

So go for 2 conferences of 7
Play everyone in your conference once
And a cross-over “rivalry” game

Current conferences

A - Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, adelaide, Fremantle, north Melbourne
B - Brisbane, gws, Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong

I say west coast and St Kilda will be added to conference b in 2020, while Gold Coast and Richmond will go to conference a

Then the “rivalry” game crossovers will be
Brisbane vs Gold Coast
Fremantle vs west coast
Adelaide vs gws
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda
Melbourne vs Geelong
Richmond vs Carlton
North Melbourne vs collingwood

7 round season, + 3 weeks final (I think they’ll go top 6, 1 and 2 bye, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Norwood would be the best choice. What's wrong with playing there?

Terrible parking, terrible facilities, terrible southern stand, terrible vantage points from the majority of the ground. It's one of, if not the worst, SANFL ground in the league. While the surface is good these days, it was notoriously bad back in the day (though you could argue that for many grounds - ironically it was only 10-15 years ago Unley Oval's surface was very close to being deemed unfit for use - underage games were moved late one season because of the surface).

I preferred Thebarton personally. Plenty of room, decent facilities, easy parking, good vantage points around the ground. Not sure why we didn't go back after the first couple of games.

I thought Norwood would be the best choice. What's wrong with playing there?
Good ground to watch, but getting there and Parking is an issue if it close to a sellout. small crowds of 5000 OK any bigger and its a pain. More so since they clamp down on the Parking around the place.

Maybe someone could help me here as a Kid I think we could park on the green strip Osmond terrace. Not to sure if that's correct as all I seem to remember is parking on the Grass and Crossing the Main road to get the Parade.

Terrible parking, terrible facilities, terrible southern stand, terrible vantage points from the majority of the ground. It's one of, if not the worst, SANFL ground in the league. While the surface is good these days, it was notoriously bad back in the day (though you could argue that for many grounds - ironically it was only 10-15 years ago Unley Oval's surface was very close to being deemed unfit for use - underage games were moved late one season because of the surface).

I preferred Thebarton personally. Plenty of room, decent facilities, easy parking, good vantage points around the ground. Not sure why we didn't go back after the first couple of games.

But there's pubs and cafes nearby.

I didn't think the parking at Thebby was much better than Norwood for the games I've been to. The ground was much better for viewing though, I admit.

I did park a fair way away at the last Norwood game (other side of Kensington Road), but that was a choice I made - saw many parks free closer as I walked there.

I've preferred Norwood so far, just for the amenities around. See how I feel next year with a newborn in tow - if I can actually go.

It was no longer an AFL approved ground because of the not up to standard AFL media box requirements and the players rooms (from memory). I loved being at Thebby as there was so much great space for kids to run around and play on. Easy parking etc. I hate Norwood games as a spectator. It's just the worst.

To be fair, facility wise, just about the whole sanfl is trash. I can’t comment on player facilities at Norwood (the umpire rooms are in western stand while players are southern stand) but when it comes to fan facilities.

If I had to rank the ovals" there’s simply no way I could put Woodville, Richmond, unley or Elizabeth above Norwood oval. Even nourlunga I couldn’t do. And when thinking alberton/Glenelg/prospect/Norwood. I’m probably leaning to Norwood #1.

The surface is good besides the northern goal. Very uneven up there. Hazard for potential sprained ankles

And yes, seating/viewing points is pathetic. Unless you’re paying extra to sit in the members stand (which would be the best in the sanfl tbh) you either have to watch from the northern end. Or suffer uncomfortably all day.

I won’t comment on parking (I live across the road) but when I umpired underaged football with the sanfl I ranked my ovals to umpire on as

1) alberton
2) nourlunga
Daylight
3) Glenelg
4) Woodville
5) Richmond
6) prospect
7) unley
Daylight
8) Elizabeth
Daylight
9) Norwood

And that’s despite living a few houses down from the Greek church behind Norwood oval.

If I had to rank the ovals" there’s simply no way I could put Woodville, Richmond, unley or Elizabeth above Norwood oval.

I won’t comment on parking (I live across the road) but when I umpired underaged football with the sanfl I ranked my ovals to umpire on as

1) alberton
2) nourlunga
Daylight
3) Glenelg
4) Woodville
5) Richmond
6) prospect
7) unley
Daylight
8) Elizabeth
Daylight
9) Norwood

huh??

Initial comment based on facilities for fans.

Ranking is taking EVERYTHING into account.
If only Norwood had a sand surface. Would put it above Elizabeth.

To be fair, facility wise, just about the whole sanfl is trash. I can’t comment on player facilities at Norwood (the umpire rooms are in western stand while players are southern stand) but when it comes to fan facilities.

If I had to rank the ovals" there’s simply no way I could put Woodville, Richmond, unley or Elizabeth above Norwood oval. Even nourlunga I couldn’t do. And when thinking alberton/Glenelg/prospect/Norwood. I’m probably leaning to Norwood #1.

The surface is good besides the northern goal. Very uneven up there. Hazard for potential sprained ankles

And yes, seating/viewing points is pathetic. Unless you’re paying extra to sit in the members stand (which would be the best in the sanfl tbh) you either have to watch from the northern end. Or suffer uncomfortably all day.

1) alberton
2) nourlunga
Daylight
3) Glenelg
4) Woodville
5) Richmond
6) prospect
7) unley
Daylight
8) Elizabeth
Daylight
9) Norwood

And that’s despite living a few houses down from the Greek church behind Norwood oval.
But you’re an umpire so your opinion doesn’t carry any weight. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back