Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Ponter continues her great form and trajectory, we have a legitimate Ruth Wallace replacement that I didn't think would happen
I hope Ruth returns next season, those two in tandem with Stevie Lee, wow wee!
s**t I forgot total gun bucket Wallace was not in the team this year. s**t we're good.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Thanks for that. Haven't listened to RSN for a while, thought they only did racing.

They cover all sports during brekky.

The women's footy show (and VFLW live coverage) is produced independently by Twitter.com/WARFRadio and it airs on RSN's 2nd channel (digital only) Carnival, which when breaking from normal programming does footy, other speciality sports programs and racehorse sales - but that's for another thread!

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
i mean if matty clarke is a better coach than you, you dont deserve to be a senior coach surely:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-lags-in-promoting-women-bec-goddard-20190307-p512fl.html

I've been pondering the move from Goddard to Clarke.

In year one, Bec was a very effective coach. The way she brought the squad together over thousands of kilometres cannot be overlooked.
In year two, the team struggled to replicate the same form. Despite that, a win on the last day of the minor round would have seen them back in the Grand Final.
In year three, the team is playing some thrilling footy, and look to have taken significant strides tactically and physically, with greatly improved skills.

So why the apparent difference between last year and this year? Goddard to Clarke? The fact that the best player in the league is not hobbling this year? The fact that a large chunk of the squad got to winter together at NT Thunder? Or the natural evolution of the women's game at the top level?

I think there are too many parameters to conclude just yet that Clarke > Goddard.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been pondering the move from Goddard to Clarke.

In year one, Bec was a very effective coach. The way she brought the squad together over thousands of kilometres cannot be overlooked.
In year two, the team struggled to replicate the same form. Despite that, a win on the last day of the minor round would have seen them back in the Grand Final.
In year three, the team is playing some thrilling footy, and look to have taken significant strides tactically and physically, with greatly improved skills.

So why the apparent difference between last year and this year? Goddard to Clarke? The fact that the best player in the league is not hobbling this year? The fact that a large chunk of the squad got to winter together at NT Thunder? Or the natural evolution of the women's game at the top level?

I think there are too many parameters to conclude just yet that Clarke > Goddard.
Agree there are a lot of factors at play but there is a very clear directive to avoid the "bomb long at all costs" strategy from years 1 and 2.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Agree there are a lot of factors at play but there is a very clear directive to avoid the "bomb long at all costs" strategy from years 1 and 2.

There was even more of a focus on skills training over the off-season and then the pre-season here. This allows for more tactical game plans to be developed.

There is definitely a number of factors involved, but both coaches have different deliverables in the way their focus for the team coaching is. Bec's remit was mostly about developing a really strong culture. Getting in the right players etc. Clarke is now able to build upon that culture.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed, Goddard was able to take a group which was, by design, split in two, and turn them into a unit. For that matter, more so that any other AFLW club, we brought in people from outside, with Perkins coming from Victoria, both our marquee players from WA, and Phillips coming over from the US. From memory there were a couple from Canberra as well. We were the only club other than GWS to have neither marquee player be a local. Turning all of that into a cohesive unit was a massive tick for Goddard, and our strong culture now is a testament to that.

Female coaches at AFLW level will come with time. The current crop of AFLW players most likely includes some future coaches. It's hard to expect female coaches when women haven't even had had the chance to play at the elite level until 2017. Unfortunately, the reality is that at this stage, male coaches are able to speak to the experience of playing at the elite level, and female coaches cannot. Matthew Clarke had the opportunity to experience footy in a way that Bec Goddard simply could not have. That is in the process of changing.

I think it was wonderful for the game that the first ever premiership coach was a woman.

All that said, I do wonder what happened for us to have moved on Goddard as quickly as we did. Even Sanderson was allowed two seasons out of the finals before getting the boot. Going from premiership coach in 2017 to sacked in 2018 was a pretty dramatic move. I can only assume that there was a serious deficiency (I assume tactically) that was identified.

I'm glad to see Goddard has stayed in coaching, even if it's not footy coaching. She's a quality person and clearly has something to offer elite sportswomen.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Agreed, Goddard was able to take a group which was, by design, split in two, and turn them into a unit. For that matter, more so that any other AFLW club, we brought in people from outside, with Perkins coming from Victoria, both our marquee players from WA, and Phillips coming over from the US. From memory there were a couple from Canberra as well. We were the only club other than GWS to have neither marquee player be a local. Turning all of that into a cohesive unit was a massive tick for Goddard, and our strong culture now is a testament to that.

Female coaches at AFLW level will come with time. The current crop of AFLW players most likely includes some future coaches. It's hard to expect female coaches when women haven't even had had the chance to play at the elite level until 2017. Unfortunately, the reality is that at this stage, male coaches are able to speak to the experience of playing at the elite level, and female coaches cannot. Matthew Clarke had the opportunity to experience footy in a way that Bec Goddard simply could not have. That is in the process of changing.

I think it was wonderful for the game that the first ever premiership coach was a woman.

All that said, I do wonder what happened for us to have moved on Goddard as quickly as we did. Even Sanderson was allowed two seasons out of the finals before getting the boot. Going from premiership coach in 2017 to sacked in 2018 was a pretty dramatic move. I can only assume that there was a serious deficiency (I assume tactically) that was identified.

I'm glad to see Goddard has stayed in coaching, even if it's not footy coaching. She's a quality person and clearly has something to offer elite sportswomen.
I don't think she was moved on. She wanted an additional role to give the hours required for her to be full time, in order to continue, which the club wouldn't provide.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think she was moved on. She wanted an additional role to give the hours required for her to be full time, in order to continue, which the club wouldn't provide.

Do you know if that additional role meant something with the men's team? Otherwise I'm not sure how much more of a role she could be given than senior coach.

She talks about it like it was a surprise that she didn't continue with us.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Do you know if that additional role meant something with the men's team? Otherwise I'm not sure how much more of a role she could be given than senior coach.

She talks about it like it was a surprise that she didn't continue with us.
I am not sure what she was after, but I believe Clark has a couple of roles. I think this is her beef, she only had the 1 role in the club, which meant she had to keep working outside football.
Other coaches had other football roles eg Starcevich, or other coaching gigs, making them full time in football.

They wouldn't give her more responsibility, but then when she left, they replaced her with a coach that also had other roles at the club.

However, I don't entirely agree with her. If they had no other opening for her, what were they to do. Then when she left, she created the opening that let Clark add to his role.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was even more of a focus on skills training over the off-season and then the pre-season here. This allows for more tactical game plans to be developed.

There is definitely a number of factors involved, but both coaches have different deliverables in the way their focus for the team coaching is. Bec's remit was mostly about developing a really strong culture. Getting in the right players etc. Clarke is now able to build upon that culture.

The difference is so stark that it has to come down mainly to coaching, doesn't it?

Anyway, the only reason Goddard is not still coaching is because she wanted a full-time position, isn't it

Insta%20Expanded%201080%20x%201350%20%5BRound6-Team%5D.jpg

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Goddard couldn't get anymore leave from the Feds to continue coaching a couple of months each year- she approaches the club to get a larger rol that wouls allow her to leave the force but Adelaide didnt have anything for her

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had heard rumours about player discontent with Bed Goddard and tactical issues, but thought the decision to use Clark might have been financial. Employing Goddard in a full time role with the men’s team would impact on the department spending cap, but perhaps the reverse occurs if some of Clark’s salary can be shifted over to the AFLW team.

As coaches, it’s hard to compare Goddard vs Clark at this stage. We’ve benefited this year from having Phillips back, and Scheer would have been drafted last year if not for injury. We also weren’t ransacked by the expansion teams this year – with AFLW salaries being low and the short season players can’t sustain an income from just football making it harder to move them interstate without alternative employment arrangements. On its own the difference between a Tier 2 and 3 player is less than 3k, which won’t even pay for relocation costs. It’s a much easier move for a player to move from one Victorian club to another, so I think we’ll continue to see similar player movements with the next lot of expansion teams.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Erin Phillips commenced her coaching career in the US with basketball last off season here. It's going to be interesting to see if she wants to pursue a coaching career with AFLW when she chooses to hang up the boots? (I've just made an assumption she is going to head back to the US to coach basketball again in the off season here)

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Erin Phillips commenced her coaching career in the US with basketball last off season here. It's going to be interesting to see if she wants to pursue a coaching career with AFLW when she chooses to hang up the boots? (I've just made an assumption she is going to head back to the US to coach basketball again in the off season here)
Yes Erin will be heading back to coach with the Dallas Wings next WNBA. She possibly had a bit to do with one of the Lightning players signing with the Wings. It’s also Tracey’s home state so it’s best of both worlds with both sides of the family able to see the kids for part of the year each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back