Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our win over GWS looks even better now that they just beat Geelong by five goals. Incredible, Brisbane now only need to beat Collingwood to qualify for their third straight finals series, despite only having had two wins so far this season. What a sham.

Meanwhile, if the Bulldogs beat Carlton, then both finallists in Conference B will end the minor round with a 3-4 win-loss record. Meanwhile at least one team (and possibly two) from Conference A will get five wins and miss out.

If Bulldogs beat Carlton by 6 goals, then every single team in Conference A will end up with a better record than every single team in Conference B.
It’s ridiculous. The Conference games currently sit a 12-1 as well (Brisbane over Bulldogs the only loss for Conference A).

AFL well and truly stuffed up the Conferences. Why would you put 1-3-5-7 in one Conference and 2-4-6-8 in another? That’s not even. To top it off they then add the stronger new team to the first Conference.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s ridiculous. The Conference games currently sit a 12-1 as well (Brisbane over Bulldogs the only loss for Conference A).

AFL well and truly stuffed up the Conferences. Why would you put 1-3-5-7 in one Conference and 2-4-6-8 in another? That’s not even. To top it off they then add the stronger new team to the first Conference.
What you summarised is true that this would likely lead to an imbalance of the 2 groupings. To mine, the only stuff up is putting North in Conference A, but this is probably easier to say in hindsight as the AFL can’t predict with certainty which of the new teams would be stronger in Kangas and Cats.

The problem also is that the AFLW is too new and it’s very hard to predict a fair grouping based on only 2 seasons past. For example, Brisbane were supposed to be around the top of Conference B with them making GFs in the first 2 seasons. The script currently isn’t going to plan for Brissy this year!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
What you summarised is true that this would likely lead to an imbalance of the 2 groupings. To mine, the only stuff up is putting North in Conference A, but this is probably easier to say in hindsight as the AFL can’t predict with certainty which of the new teams would be stronger in Kangas and Cats.

The problem also is that the AFLW is too new and it’s very hard to predict a fair grouping based on only 2 seasons past. For example, Brisbane were supposed to be around the top of Conference B with them making GFs in the first 2 seasons. The script currently isn’t going to plan for Brissy this year!
If you’re going to split conferences it should be 1-4-5-8 and 2-3-6-7. Both of those add to 18.

1-3-5-7 adds to 16 and 2-4-6-8 adds to 20.

As for not being able to tell who would be stronger out of North Melbourne and Geelong, it was obvious when you looked at the teams. North went and stole some of the best players from other teams.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
If you’re going to split conferences it should be 1-4-5-8 and 2-3-6-7. Both of those add to 18.

1-3-5-7 adds to 16 and 2-4-6-8 adds to 20.

Can you expand on this as I'm failing to see the relevance of this and how it helps choose teams?

Like John I dont have an issue with Odds and Evens. I also think the data is too new to accurately choose

Like the mens comp any conferences are going to be imbalanced , but based on geography and television rather than poaching/drafting

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can you expand on this as I'm failing to see the relevance of this and how it helps choose teams?

Like John I dont have an issue with Odds and Evens. I also think the data is too new to accurately choose

Like the mens comp any conferences are going to be imbalanced , but based on geography and television rather than poaching/drafting
Ok, if you're trying to create 2 equal divisions based on performance, they should at least be equal from a maths perspective.

Having 1-3-5-7 in one conference is an average placing of 4th in an 8 team comp. A conference of 2-4-6-8 in a conference is an average placing of 5th in an 8 team comp.

If you go 1-4-5-8 and 2-3-6-7 they both have an average placing of 4.5 out of 8. That is even. Yes, the sample size of the data was small, but they also biased it for no good reason at all. If they thought that going by 2018 finishing places was not the way to go, then they should have used a completely different method to decide conferences instead of one that was biased.

On top of that, they placed the obvious stronger new team in the conference that was already "better" from a maths perspective. North was clearly the better recruited team between the two.

Geelong in Conference A and North Melbourne in Conference B would have at least seen 3 of the top 4 teams make the final.

Yes, you can still get unbalanced conferences, but a 12-1 record on inter-conference games is not even close to balanced.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.

Why have conferences at all.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why have conferences at all.
At this point we shouldn't. It should have been one ladder, a 9 round season, everyone plays each other once, with a final 4. However the AFL only wanted a 7 game season.

The conferences are set up for when they bring in another 2-4 teams for next season.

If they wanted to do conferences this season then teams should have just played the other 4 teams in their conference twice. 8 round season, with an equal number of home and away games.

Basically the AFL took the worst option and made it even crappier by dividing the conferences unevenly. I mean, you're potentially going to have the top 2 teams in Conference B finish with worse records than the lowest ranked team in Conference A.

It also should have been obvious that Brisbane would drop when you look at the players they lost to North Melbourne

It wasn't just that.

Conference A has the only two teams to have won the AFLW GF in its two year history. So right off the bat they put the best two teams in the same conference. Then they also put the best non-finalist team (Melbourne) in there as well, plus the stronger expansion team and one of the interstate teams widely expected to be good.

In Conference B there are the only two teams to have ever won the wooden spoon (Carlton and GWS), two teams that lost tons of talent (Brisbane and Collingwood) plus the lesser expansion team.

It was obvious that it would play out like this. Part of me wonders whether this was an attempt to engineer success for the bigger Victorian clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong) given it was extremely likely one of them would play finals in this conference system

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I know I'm a nerd with this stuff, but I find it fascinating to look at the various possible finals matchups.

If we lose to Melbourne we cannot finish top, but would most likely still finish second, and play Carlton away. Last time we played Carlton away we made hard work of it. We were three goals down midway through the third quarter before we had one of our now-trademark last quarter blitzes. It would be nice to avoid having to do that again!

A good start would be ideal. Get 2 goals up at quarter time and the Dees are facing effectively a 6 goal comeback.

Nearly time to pack the car and make sure we've got enough snacks to get us to Casey. It's a long drive!

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
At this point we shouldn't. It should have been one ladder, a 9 round season, everyone plays each other once, with a final 4. However the AFL only wanted a 7 game season.

The conferences are set up for when they bring in another 2-4 teams for next season.

If they wanted to do conferences this season then teams should have just played the other 4 teams in their conference twice. 8 round season, with an equal number of home and away games.

Basically the AFL took the worst option and made it even crappier by dividing the conferences unevenly. I mean, you're potentially going to have the top 2 teams in Conference B finish with worse records than the lowest ranked team in Conference A.

Unless you play everyone TWICE the draw is uneven. Just have the draw and the ladder and be happy with that distortion rather than introducing an separate aribitary split ladder. Make no sense.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It wasn't just that.

Conference A has the only two teams to have won the AFLW GF in its two year history. So right off the bat they put the best two teams in the same conference. Then they also put the best non-finalist team (Melbourne) in there as well, plus the stronger expansion team and one of the interstate teams widely expected to be good.

In Conference B there are the only two teams to have ever won the wooden spoon (Carlton and GWS), two teams that lost tons of talent (Brisbane and Collingwood) plus the lesser expansion team.

It was obvious that it would play out like this. Part of me wonders whether this was an attempt to engineer success for the bigger Victorian clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong) given it was extremely likely one of them would play finals in this conference system
We all can see there is an absolute imbalance. However, Brisbane was a team who made 2 GFs in a row, and are ranked no. 1 if you combine both first two seasons!
Where it falls is basically the unimaginable decline in Brisbane (AFL were penning them for likely one of the Semi finalists), and the meteoric rise in North.

Basically if Brisbane were to continue their trend, and Kangas were put in conference B instead of A, then no one would be complaining too much. But in a newbie competition and players swapping and changing at a rapid rate, it's almost impossible to make it "fair" in its purest definition when splitting up the 2 conferences.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unless you play everyone TWICE the draw is uneven. Just have the draw and the ladder and be happy with that distortion rather than introducing an separate aribitary split ladder. Make no sense.
I think they are putting in a conference system to setup for when more teams are added to AFLW in the coming years. Really, there is a very simple way you can do this and it'd be fair no matter how many teams you have:

- top team in each conference automatically qualifies for Semis
- 2 other teams with the highest winning and score percentage gets the other 2 spots for the Semis

This way, you're guaranteed to have at least 3 out of 4 being the best teams to qualify. And if things work out in a probability sense, you're also likely to get 4 out of 4 being the best teams to qualify!

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
As much as I hate the conferences the VFL got what they want with every game in the final round having an impact on who will make finals.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
What a farce, team qualifies for finals in group B would be second to bottom in group A.

Go AFL, they are lucky the administer the best game in the world. They are so inept if these clowns were in charge of a "lower" sport they would be bankrupt and the comp disbanded.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Our mob is doing reasonably well.
Thought the sheila commentating was likely to burst onto the field and kick a goal for the Ds at any moment.
Free kick count around 12--2 I reckon.
No bias by umps or commentators and that is so good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back