🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
We've delisted Perkins, Lugg, Riley, and Rosenzweig

Sedunary is off to St Kilda

McCormick is pursuing soccer full time and has been delisted as well

"With the trade and signing period closing today, the AFL is still going through the approval process and more re-signings are likely to be announced next Tuesday."

No surprises there, think they were going to cut Sedunary anyway and St Kilda just made the choice for them and it was pretty much an open secret around the traps Jenna McCormick was committing to soccer full time.

A few big personalities in amongst that group though that are very popular in the playing group with Riley, Sedunary, Perkins and McCormick which sometimes can affect the unmeasurable qualities of a football club, so that could be hard to replace.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seven player mentioned by Advertiser as out but with us having 2 Inactive players on the list we had 32 and we needed to be 24 so I believe there is an 8th player not re-signed. I would expect Ruth Wallace.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
McCormick a loss IMO. Tex had to go, but she's been great for the club.

she is a great defender, and from her w-league season should be in the Matildas squad but theres a few golden ticket holders in the defence of the matildas so hard to crack into regardless
The club has said they would welcome her back though, so the bridges aren’t burnt. What of Phillips and Ponter? Do we know where we stand with their contracts?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It so weird to see all the other Clubs get raided by the other teams and us as premiers are just sitting here twiddling our thumbs. I wonder if anyone requested a trade to us? We obviously have a good program... or do we just want to keep our team together?
It’s been noticed by a few members in prior posts, we’ve likely kept the main nucleus due to the fact the girls aren’t being paid enough for the incentive to relocate to a new state, as well as risking the chance to play in a team who is less likely to dominate than the Crows.

All our fringe players (who have played AFLW games) are being raided, which is expected as they would be handy players in developing teams as well as learning some club secrets from us.

I’m specifically keen to know the other players of re-signings:
- Erin
- Ponter
- J Foley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Maybe the WNBA isn’t quite the draw we thought it was?
Might even be a happy hunting ground for CatB recruiting ;)
That's a ridiculously low wage. I'm not even the most important or best worker at my workplace, nor am I even earning that much compared to others in my field, but I still earn more than that.

At this stage, I don't think WNBA is a recruiting ground, as AFLW players don't get paid much. There's also relocation costs and training a person from scratch to kick a football.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's a ridiculously low wage. I'm not even the most important or best worker at my workplace, nor am I even earning that much compared to others in my field, but I still earn more than that.

At this stage, I don't think WNBA is a recruiting ground, as AFLW players don't get paid much. There's also relocation costs and training a person from scratch to kick a football.

56,000 dollars for 5 months work. For the best player in the world. In the world!

25,000 for 2 month season in AFLW.

I tell you what the economics are such that there is room to think

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
McCormick is probably the biggest of our losses, I wonder if she'll be back in a few years time? She's the only one of our losses that was a regular part of our team this year (chosen whenever she was available). Sedunary and Riley were both quality depth but ultimately not needed. Hewett is quality but I'm just not sure where she fits in our current side. The rest aren't particularly important. If Perkins can get her fitness up she could come back to hurt us, but it's not like she was likely to play in our squad next year.

I somehow always forget that Riley was one of our inaugural vice captains. Her and Perkins were a big part of our 2017 culture that led to our first flag, so cheers to them :thumbsu: Sedunary was important that year too, albeit frustrating. It would have been interesting to see how her "attack at all costs" mode of play would have worked with our forward line this year, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Interesting to see that Nankivell has been retained. I liked what she brought early in the season. As mentioned by an earlier poster, we're currently at 24 players without Wallace coming back. I wonder if that's okay? Can she be reactivated as part of the draft, rather than at this stage?

Last edited:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
McCormick is probably the biggest of our losses, I wonder if she'll be back in a few years time? She's the only one of our losses that was a regular part of our team this year (chosen whenever she was available). Sedunary and Riley were both quality depth but ultimately not needed. Hewett is quality but I'm just not sure where she fits in our current side. The rest aren't particularly important. If Perkins can get her fitness up she could come back to hurt us, but it's not like she was likely to play in our squad next year.

I somehow always forget that Riley was one of our inaugural vice captains. Her and Perkins were a big part of our 2017 culture that led to our first flag, so cheers to them :thumbsu: Sedunary was important that year too, albeit frustrating. It would have been interesting to see how her "attack at all costs" mode of play would have worked with our forward line this year, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Interesting to see that Nankivell has been retained. I liked what she brought early in the season. As mentioned by an earlier poster, we're currently at 24 players without Wallace coming back. I wonder if that's okay? Can she be reactivated as part of the draft, rather than at this stage?
I'd argue McCormick isn’t really much of a loss at all. She was actually playing in poor form mid season and have been on par in most of our other games.

If we look back at the entire 3 seasons, I’d say she was one who didn’t look like she was improving much relative to the others. Whilst the others are focusing on footy for a whole year, and McCormick focuses on part footy, part soccer, she is the one that is likely to go backwards relative to the others.

So whilst she played a major part of our winning culture in past years, I can see others overtaking her spot next year.

Next Gen Rookie

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2017
Hiding in Bacon8's roofspace
AFL Club
Adelaide
I genuinely thought Phillips would have been on 250-300k USD in the WNBA! Crazy!

ESPN reported she was on over $100K .

1555976945303.png

http://www.espn.com.au/wnba/story/_...all-erin-phillips-redefines-two-sport-stardom

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back