Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I have the wrong end of the stick with your comment but there has been a womens footy comp in SA for over 20 years.

Females haven't had to wait their entire lives to play footy.

It certainly has become more popular since the AFLW has started - my local club are demolishing their grandstand/club-rooms next month to build ones that have more change rooms to accommodate the large number of female teams we have.

There might have been one, but I didn't know there was until I was selected to umpire a state game between SA and VIC back in the 90s. It was not supported or advertised. Most people only found out about it because of word of mouth, if they found out about it at all. If you were a young girl, you were able to play in a mixed team. Then you hit 13 and, sorry, no more opportunities for you to keep playing the sport was what most were told about. The next step up was waiting until you are an adult and there is a 'women's league'. How many clubs actually knew about those and told the kids and parents it was there as an opportunity?

The advent of AFLW has raised the profile of those leagues. It has brought about change with access for so many who didn't know there was an opportunity and helped in pushing clubs to create teams so that girls don't have to stop at 13 and find another sport to do instead.

There are more female players of Aussie Rules now registered in Queensland than male players. That's the change the AFLW has provided. Pity the AFL won't support it properly.

You mean run by an incompetent organsiation that advertised the AFLW draft as starting at 10.40 am EST and it actually got underway over half an hour later? Do not allow this lot near a chook raffle.

They couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

There might have been one, but I didn't know there was until I was selected to umpire a state game between SA and VIC back in the 90s. It was not supported or advertised. Most people only found out about it because of word of mouth, if they found out about it at all. If you were a young girl, you were able to play in a mixed team. Then you hit 13 and, sorry, no more opportunities for you to keep playing the sport was what most were told about. The next step up was waiting until you are an adult and there is a 'women's league'. How many clubs actually knew about those and told the kids and parents it was there as an opportunity?

The advent of AFLW has raised the profile of those leagues. It has brought about change with access for so many who didn't know there was an opportunity and helped in pushing clubs to create teams so that girls don't have to stop at 13 and find another sport to do instead.

There are more female players of Aussie Rules now registered in Queensland than male players. That's the change the AFLW has provided. Pity the AFL won't support it properly.

No doubt the explosion of interest and participation since AFLW been awesome but lets not pretend there hasn't been a womens comp for over 20 years.

Footy for women has been going for more than the 3 years of the AFLW.

No doubt the explosion of interest and participation since AFLW been awesome but lets not pretend there hasn't been a womens comp for over 20 years.

Footy for women has been going for more than the 3 years of the AFLW.

For women, yes, at a very under-supported level. But what about those years between 13 and 18? What was there for girls wanting to play the sport? That is a key time period for many people playing or doing sport. You are ignoring that and that the lack of support or actual knowledge of the opportunities were not well known at all.

When I was involved in Gymnastics, most of the time you don't get children trying out until they or their parents saw it at the Olympics. Then they would try and find a club. That's a 4-year gap with limited new athletes coming in to the sport. We needed that exposure of the Olympics to attract new athletes. Yes, it was available, but the ability to let people know of a competition/clubs existence is key.

For women, yes, at a very under-supported level. But what about those years between 13 and 18? What was there for girls wanting to play the sport? That is a key time period for many people playing or doing sport. You are ignoring that and that the lack of support or actual knowledge of the opportunities were not well known at all.

When I was involved in Gymnastics, most of the time you don't get children trying out until they or their parents saw it at the Olympics. Then they would try and find a club. That's a 4-year gap with limited new athletes coming in to the sport. We needed that exposure of the Olympics to attract new athletes. Yes, it was available, but the ability to let people know of a competition/clubs existence is key.

That age gap was closed 11 years ago in 2008 when an U12's, U14's & U16's were started.

Seems like people are dismissing all the hard work done over the last 30 years by the pioneers of female footy, it has been going a lot longer than AFLW!!

That age gap was closed 11 years ago in 2008 when an U12's, U14's & U16's were started.

Seems like people are dismissing all the hard work done over the last 30 years by the pioneers of female footy, it has been going a lot longer than AFLW!!

It's not diminishing that work. It's acknowledging that without an elite path available, people won't know the opportunities are there no matter how much hard work went into it. The AFL are as surprised as anyone that it has taken off the way it has.

No Munyard, prediction failed :p

Interesting that Mo Hope withdrew from the draft literally hours before it started, citing mental health concerns. Hope she's okay.

From all reports she's just returned from filming Survivor All-Stars so maybe she feels she's just not right for high level AFL competition anymore.

Given the group’s strength the only two I’d look to bring in this year;
Montana McKinnon, tall forward from South Adelaide - 183cm with a good jump & mark, offers something different then what they currently have.
From April this year

Very happy for Montana - hope she takes her talent and hard work to great heights

Not sure if I have the wrong end of the stick with your comment but there has been a womens footy comp in SA for over 20 years.

Females haven't had to wait their entire lives to play footy.

It certainly has become more popular since the AFLW has started - my local club are demolishing the grandstand/club-rooms next month to build ones that have more change rooms to accommodate the large number of female teams we have.

Yeah I think it’s the wrong end. I am not referring to all females, but certainly a lot. For example I have read and heard in multiple interviews from female players that they reached certain ages and then there were no resources for them to start playing or continue playing football and had to play other sports instead. Unlike males where you could easily play from juniors through to seniors at multiple different clubs.
Yes, there has been competitions, but nowhere near as what it is today and not supported as the same as today.

Same with my club, we have just built change rooms for females as in the last year the competition, resources and funding has rapidly increased.

Either way... it’s a good thing how the competition has grown at a community level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think it’s the wrong end. I am not referring to all females, but certainly a lot. For example I have read and heard in multiple interviews from female players that they reached certain ages and then there were no resources for them to start playing or continue playing football and had to play other sports instead. Unlike males where you could easily play from juniors through to seniors at multiple different clubs.
Yes, there has been competitions, but nowhere near as what it is today and not supported as the same as today.

Same with my club, we have just built change rooms for females as in the last year the competition, resources and funding has rapidly increased.

Either way... it’s a good thing how the competition has grown at a community level
People keep pointing to comps being around for years to show women could have played if they wanted to. However, it was usually 1 comp. WA had the WAWFL for years, which was great if you lived in Perth, and had heard of it. It also meant that the best players in the state, who were really serious about footy, and the novice just starting out and looking for a bit of fun, played in the same league. This tended to mean you lost new players, who were getting smashed, and good players, who didn't see it as a serious comp. There may have been a few junior leagues, great if you lived where they were, but most didnt. In the early days, girls footy had 2 age groups, and if you were 14, you played in the same games as the 18 year olds.

For there to be a realistic pathway, there needs to be multiple junior leagues, in realistic age groups, all over the state. You need access to entry level leagues, and more advanced leagues, and regional leagues.

This structure has existed for no more than 3 years, and in many places, still doesn't exist.

Its way better than it was, but there is a long way to go, and the flow of talent to the AFLW has not even gotten close to peaking.

Very happy with Allen, she's just a beast in the middle, hard to curtail, runs all day.

Newman is one to watch long term, she's quite exciting.

McKinnon is a powerhouse, if it's contested she'll eat it. Really keen to see how they use her next year.

Gum a great pickup, been around the block a bit, experienced and will slot right in to cover Phillips early a bit I'd say.

Thought they covered all bases today
Ruck
Key Position Players forward and back with ability to pinch hit in the Ruck
Excellent ball winning players
Elite kicking from Defence
Fierce at the ball
Versatility

I want another premiership

Go kill em girls

Cover yourselves in glory

If anyone has seen how ripped Hatchard is currently looking, my god watch out for her in the midfield this season.

Pics?

Does anyone else think it was wrong for Richmond's recruiter to pick herself?

Seems a really dodgy thing to do

Seems a bit odd, but hey if it's dodgy, take away their draft picks, and i hope it's a bad choice, so long as it doesn't affect us

Is Scheer really a mid? She played exclusively as a forward this year.

Martin was more of a winger too, but she played the role well. I wonder if we'll put Nikki Gore in this role?
Scheer had stints in the midfield from what I can recall. Although she is strong and can mark very well, which makes her a potentially dangerous forward also. She is basically a footy prototype in the mould of Phillips.
Martin was basically a tackling machine and I believe she played in the midfield in stints too. Perhaps she was being used as a tagger?

I'm really excited to see the new crop of girls coming on board, can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back