Women's Footy AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...s/news-story/089bc576a2c7005f56fd62ef9b514276
WESTERN BULLDOGS

Who they got: Isabel Huntington (Pick 1), Monique Conti (Pick 4), Jenna Bruton (Pick 11), Daria Bannister (Pick 19), Emma Mackie (Pick 27)

Analysis: You are looking at the 2017 draft winners, ladies and gentlemen! Isabel Huntington can play anywhere and will add some size and polish to the Western Bulldogs’ forward line, alongside captain Katie Brennan. She’s also a future leader. Meanwhile, Monique Conti is a ball magnet who’ll complement Ellie Blackburn and Emma Kearney in the midfield. Conti plays for Melbourne Boomers and moves with time and space. Daria Bannister and Emma Mackie will rotate through the midfield and forward line.

Grade: A+

Sophie Abbatangelo could be one we may look at as a free agent, surprised nobody grabbed her in the draft tbh.
You missed this line about Bruton:

"As for Jenna Bruton? The 22-year-old beat Brianna Davey in the St Kilda Sharks’ best and fairest. Enough said."

Makes me feel better about passing over Maddy Guerin.

We've signed Rachel Ashley as a FA after passing our last pick (allowing us to take players who nominated for other states but then got passed over in the draft). 19 year old 3rd tall defender from WA who can both play as a KPD and rebound.

We've signed Rachel Ashley as a FA after passing our last pick (allowing us to take players who nominated for other states but then got passed over in the draft). 19 year old 3rd tall defender from WA who can both play as a KPD and rebound.
Great kid. Was going to nominate for Victoria as not to keen on the Dockers players but was talked out of it. Then they shunned her. If you don't play for the top three sides in WA you have no hope. Had approaches from Melbourne and yourselves. Multiple all-Aust u18 and WA best in the u23 series against Qld last year. Needs work on decision making (but tough playing in one of the struggling teams) but tough as nails and hard at it despite being slender.

Ill be supporting the Bulldogs AFLW team next year.

Had a bit to do with her at the Perth Angels - you've got a very natural footballer in Ashley. I wouldn't label her as a KPD though - she'd take medium forwards and look to hurt them in flight and going the other way.

She'll absolutely thrive.

Have you read anything I've posted in this thread?

Huntington's the better player, the only reason that Molloy pushed for her to be pick 1 is because Huntington is recovering from an ACL so didn't play this year.
Pretty happy we got Izzy. My boss coached her in U14's and she s**t all over the boys. Looking forward to watching her.

I hope our draftees are capable of being one touch players. So many players last season fumbled or overran the ball even when out on their own, resulting in lots of scrums.

Elite players like Ellie Blackburn are stand outs for their ability to collect the ball on the run and under pressure.

You guys have got an absolute jet in Bruton: I played against her a few years ago in youth girls. I'd have about 15 cm and 15 kg on her, but she picked me up and tossed me down like a sack of spuds - and I was a sore sack of spuds after that too I tell you. Looking forward to watching her progress.

Rookie draft about to start, looks like we are taking two selections and then the list will pretty much be locked down for 2018 season after today I would say.

With pick 3, the Dogs take Naomi Ferris.

Last edited:
Looks like Ferris is from the Spurs who the Dogs have recently teamed up with for the VFLW.
“Naomi Ferris is an extremely strong competitor, she’s a fierce defender and despite her quiet nature and lack of voice on field, she uses her physicality to let her opponents know she’s there, a team would be silly not to pick her up.”

And with pick 11, we take Bonnie Toogood. With a name like that, how could we refuse!?

Can't find much on her, apart from that she was part of Monash University's netball team at the Aus Uni Games this year.

In any case, welcome aboard Naomi and Bonnie!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously don't understand why the afl couldn't wait till early next week to have the ladies draft. Got completely lost in tradeweek, if they are trying to build the aflw brand,it certainly doesn't help.
I get that clubs need to get their lists in order but surely they could have waited a few days

Laura Bailey, Libby Birch, Ellie Blackburn, Katie Brennan, Nicole Callinan, Kimberley Ebb, Tiarna Ernst, Ellyse Gamble, Angelica Gogos, Bailey Hunt, Emma Kearney, Kirsty Lamb, Brooke Lochland, Kirsten McLeod, Aasta O’Connor, Hannah Scott, Lauren Spark, Hayley Wildes

are the players retained from last year

Deanna Berry through a trade and Jess Anderson through delisted free agency from Melbourne

& all the players who we have drafted.

List sizes have increased so that's why there's more ins then outs.

Does anyone know where there is a full list of the team for 2018?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brooke Lochland
Ellie Blackburn
Katie Brennan
Aasta O'Connor
Emma Kearney
Kirsten McLeod
Deanna Berry
Nicole Callinan
Lauren Spark
Kimberley Ebb
Laura Bailey
Ellyse Gamble
Hayley Wildes
Libby Birch
Tiana Ernst
Bailey Hunt
Hannah Scott
Kirsty Lamb
Angelica Gogos
Jessica Anderson
Isabel Huntington
Monique Conti
Jenna Bruton
Daria Bannister
Emma Mackie
Aisling Utri
Rachel Ashley
Naomi Ferres
Bonnie Toogood

Interview with Chyloe Kurdas.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=159828
From 09.20 discusses Isabella Huntington and Monique Conti.
Of Huntington, 'the best footballer I have ever ever worked with. Will do things on a football field that haven't been seen before. Will redefine how women play football. Monique and Isabella work really well together. the 2 of them will show the shape of things to come for womens football'.

Reaffirms my believe that the Dogs won the draft and their top 3 in Huntington, Conti and Bruton are the best top 3 picks of any team in the comp.

For those that haven't seen the interview Blackburn did of Groves after the draft, where he said in 2013 he needed a player to shore up the backline (State girls team) and was deciding between Blackburn or Huntington, and chose Huntington. Huntington was only 14. Blackburn would have been 16 or 17 at that stage.

Cannot wait to see what the Dogs do in 2018, I think Huntington and Brennan will tear sides apart.

Interview with Chyloe Kurdas.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=159828
From 09.20 discusses Isabella Huntington and Monique Conti.
Of Huntington, 'the best footballer I have ever ever worked with. Will do things on a football field that haven't been seen before. Will redefine how women play football. Monique and Isabella work really well together. the 2 of them will show the shape of things to come for womens football'.

Reaffirms my believe that the Dogs won the draft and their top 3 in Huntington, Conti and Bruton are the best top 3 picks of any team in the comp.

For those that haven't seen the interview Blackburn did of Groves after the draft, where he said in 2013 he needed a player to shore up the backline (State girls team) and was deciding between Blackburn or Huntington, and chose Huntington. Huntington was only 14. Blackburn would have been 16 or 17 at that stage.

Cannot wait to see what the Dogs do in 2018, I think Huntington and Brennan will tear sides apart.
Brennan was a big loss for us. The ankle injury ruined her season, she obviously got back to play games late but was nowhere near 100%. If we can keep the group fit and healthy, i'm expecting at least a finals appearance and possibly go deep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back