Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, be sure to vote for the best player of the season here.

On the other hand if you use the follow-up poll Bowers has a huge 84%

A team that comes 7th has the highest amount of players.

Wow long live the VFL

I felt that Freo girls seem to have made a team commitment, and played as a “team” when under pressure. Everyone bent their backs when required, didn’t wait for their 2 best players to lift them.

AA teams, always subjective, always have media darlings included.

Crazy no Freo defender made it in.

I can see Evie spitting chips !!!, it’s a hard life playing the Grover / Parker role.

I think that the backline was solid because they backed each other in times of crisis. No individual stars, but gave bugger all of the footy to their opposition. The movement of the ball out of the backline was superb, each player moving it smoothly down the chain to our flamboyant forwards.

Some teams rely on a star player making intercepts and then racing down the wing for 40 metres and then dispatching a kick forward. More than likely the ball will come whizzing back down the ground to an unattended forward ( our stars opponent ), but why do that when at Freo we have 5 players move the ball the same distance, but then step across to cover their opponents.

I felt that Freo girls seem to have made a team commitment, and played as a “team” when under pressure. Everyone bent their backs when required, didn’t wait for their 2 best players to lift them.
Yes it's a team game, and as such even the individual awards like AA selection should reflect that. This is a point I've been banging on about for a while now, they should work backwards from the ladder and designate the number of spots for each team accordingly.

Champion team vs team of champions ;)

I completely agree - I'm actually surprised EAntonio made it and TBH I'm not sure I can make a case for any other of our girls being in there. The simple reason we were undefeated and were going to stay undefeated was because of the strength through the spine and across all lines - we weren't seeking out a superstar to carry the heavy lifting like most other teams. Just re-watch the Bulldogs game when Blackburn was off the pitch - their intensity and focus dropped every time she went to the interchange.

And I'm pretty happy with that because it means we will be in contention again next year and the year after that.

10/10
Amazing from Sarah Black who usually forgets we exist.

People also forget when we played the Lions they were the only other undefeated team, billed as the blockbuster of the round. We smashed their spirit in the first quarter and they never recovered.

Gooch and Miller two of the most underrated players in the comp. Gooch does what Gooch does, and Hayley Miller is a star. Fast, takes the game on, wins her own ball, good skills, good decision making, big tank, finds her way through the smallest of spaces, always has that bit of extra time, when she delivers it into the 50 it’s pinpoint - and her running bounces are unreal. She must be near the top of the pile for that stat surely. So solid, so reliable, so very, very underrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowers and Houghton both in the AA side (Duffy and E.Antonio somehow both missing out)

Bowers and Houghton both in the AA side (Duffy and E.Antonio somehow both missing out)
I would have thought Bowers and Duffy were locks, Antonio outside chance, and Houghton outside, outside chance. Although despite her wayward kicking, Gemma does some amazing things - her ability to win the ball in the air and on the ground, take a speccy and play on before her feet have even hit the ground, kick to the advantage of deeper forward, and outrun anyone chasing her would have put her right up there. I think we get spoilt by her talent, and like Fyfe, we expect a super-human game before we rate it as one of her really good games. She's the most exciting player in the comp to watch IMO, and an AFLW HQ sweetheart. But Duffy is really, really, really stiff. No-one can get her boot to ball, in a tighter space, under more pressure, at a faster pace, on a tighter angle, and get it through better than she does. BUT, she does find it hard to get loose when someone is playing really tight on her with their sole job to stop her. She can be well held in some games.

I thought Duffy was the most productive small forward all year?

Not sure if it's a popular opinion but from the games I watched Duffy was a more important player than Houghton for us this year. So deadly and clean around the goals. One goal off leading goal kicker for the league and not in the AA.

Complete rubbish.

I thought Duffy was the most productive small forward all year?
Within a goal of leading goal kicker for the regular season (if you include finals she was), and scored more goals than 4/5 starting forwards in the AA side (plus Harris on the bench), yet didn't make it.

Within a goal of leading goal kicker for the regular season (if you include finals she was), and scored more goals than 4/5 starting forwards in the AA side (plus Harris on the bench), yet didn't make it.
Yeah, if Australia was playing this weekend she would be in the side over the more marketable women playing over East, because a win is more important than a photo and twitter opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back