Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty unfair to compare to Freo's forward line though. We've got the best forward line in the comp imo. You forgot Sharp btw. And we'll have four extra players to add to the mix in Tighe, Tester, McMahon and Morrison making it even stronger. Can see us using Ebony on a wing again in 2021. Cain back should help our attack as well.
You're probably right. It's not like our men's team ever gets compared to WCs

One of the bigger calls this season will have to be on the captain. She didn't add much last year and looked to be one of our weaker mids. Seems crippled by injury and has slowed. I know she provides leadership and direction on field but last season she didn't provide much of anything else on field.

Where do people see her in the midfield rotation this year?

They did add Davison and Gilmore. But you're right; not the most inspiring forward line ever (although I suppose they still have Gibson.)
I think the policy at this point is still, best available. They cannot fix the forward issues by ignoring a top rate defender in order to pick a second rate forward.

I also think they have an eye on next draft. If they fill the backline with quality players this year, they can target the forward line next 2 years.

It's pretty clear they have viewed building a team as a 3 - 4 year task. They aren't really looking to put a balanced team out this year.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the policy at this point is still, best available. They cannot fix the forward issues by ignoring a top rate defender in order to pick a second rate forward.

I also think they have an eye on next draft. If they fill the backline with quality players this year, they can target the forward line next 2 years.

It's pretty clear they have viewed building a team as a 3 - 4 year task. They aren't really looking to put a balanced team out this year.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Amazes me that the Eagles are recruiting older players.

Better to get kids in.

I'm not sure why this thread has become more about WC than about Freo? But I'll give my two cents...

Lewis and Davison are really good recruits for them. Norrish is ok. If Gilmore was younger I think she'd be a decent recruit as well (in fairness she might make them more competitive in the ruck). I don't really understand grabbing 30+ year olds nor SA prospects but I'm also not really sure why we grabbed Trend? In a year or two time I don't think it will make a huge difference as these players probably won't be on our respective lists anymore and will have been replaced by some really good young talent coming through.

WC have kept some players that I don't understand why (eg Orme) and delisted others I think would have been better to keep but in the long term it probably makes little difference. As others have said they weren't going to fix their forward line this season anyway. I was expecting them to give a few WA youngsters (midfielders/flankers) a chance in a professional environment but the chance of success would be low regardless. They need to be all over Amy Franklin next year imo (and Dowrick if she decides to nominate). That would be the start of a really talented young forward line (inc Davison). Personally I think the sooner they see the back of Cowan and Gibson the better off they will be - just like we were.

I'm expecting them to improve next year despite not having a new coach yet. However I also think they are pretty vulnerable if Hooker gets injured as they really don't have the midfield depth to cover for her. They were almost solely reliant on her keeping them in games and will be again next year imo. Hoping to see development from their young gun Bowen and from McDonald down back (with Bresland helping her out).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why this thread has become more about WC than about Freo? But I'll give my two cents...

Lewis and Davison are really good recruits for them. Norrish is ok. If Gilmore was younger I think she'd be a decent recruit as well (in fairness she might make them more competitive in the ruck). I don't really understand grabbing 30+ year olds nor SA prospects but I'm also not really sure why we grabbed Trend? In a year or two time I don't think it will make a huge difference as these players probably won't be on our respective lists anymore and will have been replaced by some really good young talent coming through.

WC have kept some players that I don't understand why (eg Orme) and delisted others I think would have been better to keep but in the long term it probably makes little difference. As others have said they weren't going to fix their forward line this season anyway. I was expecting them to give a few WA youngsters (midfielders/flankers) a chance in a professional environment but the chance of success would be low regardless. They need to be all over Amy Franklin next year imo (and Dowrick if she decides to nominate). That would be the start of a really talented young forward line (inc Davison). Personally I think the sooner they see the back of Cowan and Gibson the better off they will be - just like we were.

I'm expecting them to improve next year despite not having a new coach yet. However I also think they are pretty vulnerable if Hooker gets injured as they really don't have the midfield depth to cover for her. They were almost solely reliant on her keeping them in games and will be again next year imo. Hoping to see development from their young gun Bowen and from McDonald down back (with Bresland helping her out).
Eagles and Freo are in vastly different places.

Freo can bring in very good players, but you have to look at who they push out to get a spot. Freo doesn't really have many weak links anymore, so a recruit may be good, but at the same time, not make the team much better. What your getting is depth and consistency. You can lose some players to injury or poor form, and not suffer to much.

Eagles on the other hand played some spuds last year, because they didn't have anyone else, and still have some bog average players in the lineup.

So while I dont think there is much difference in the quality of the WA selections, the Eagles have more to gain, as the players we are getting are much better than they players they replace, where the same may not be as true at Freo.

Freo should be consistent next year, across the ground, and across the season. Eagles will improve, but will still depend on to few for to much to be consistent, and a few key injuries could finish them.

Trend placed on inactive list

Bit of a waste of a trade there
A lot thought she’d be depth anyway, so it presents someone else with an opportunity. Who did we pick up after Kate Flood went on the inactive list?
I would like to see them give Lindal Rohde or Sarah Garstone another shot. Just my thoughts.

Last list spot filled for next year

Good pick up for list balance.

I was pretty harsh on her after watching the WAFLW GF. She kicked two goals (all of Subi's goals) but also slaughtered a bunch of other opportunities. On reflection she actually played a reasonable game.

She is the youngest player on our list. Think she's still a fair way from her ceiling. Getting more of a utility type makes sense given quite a few mids coming through in the next two drafts.

Kara is our most accountable midfielder in our best team, playing really, really injured last year didn't help.

then she shouldn’t have been in the side. Long term we are going to shorten her career. As it was last season she didn’t add much and was our weakest performing midfielder.

I’m not saying scrap her or anything I just want to know what people’s thoughts are on her role and position this season if it continues as it did last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back