Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

God is there any way we can fight for a better result? Surely they can postpone the AFLW season rather than completely can it? There's literally two weeks left. Play it when the mens league resumes. This is such an injustice. Women are forever being shafted. I am totally gutted for our girls.

I gotta say this is rough stuff for your women's team and the club as a whole

I got lucky last year being able to watch the Crow's women show our men how it's done and it would have been really nice for your women to have the chance to do the same

In the end though, and despite how much we love it, it's only footy

stay safe folks -- it's gonna be a rocky ride for a while

From what Gil said, each team got to vote on what happened. So they asked the 8 teams involved if they wanted to risk a three week final campaign or go straight to a Freo vs Roos GF. Which team would ever vote to eliminate themselves from the finals? Of course the other six teams would have voted to keep themselves in with a shot of the flag.

Like Ebony said, zero leadership.

AFLW should have made the decision that was the fairest and got the best outcome for the league.

Should have been a GF this weekend.

:'(

I'm gutted, but the poor girls are going to be devastated. It should have been a Freo vs North Grand Final this weekend, so robbed on that hand, but on the other - if another game was played next week (supposing the borders were open) and someone got sick and had complications or passed it on and killed someone, well, that would not have been worth it.

Morally though, 2020 Fremantle women won the season and the finals.

I read that one of the reasons they're not postponing is because of some contract with the VFLW, and not allowing players to be available for any AFLW commitments while the VFLW season is on.

THEY'VE CANCELLED THE VFLW SEASON FFS!!!

Blatant sexism IMO. If this were Prelim Final week in the men's comp, what's the bet they'd either postpone the final 3 matches or award the cup to the minor premiers. No reason they can't combine the two conference ladders - including or not including finals - and award to the best performed team for the season.

Last edited:
lets all send the afl, the west australian, the herald sun and the age an angry email demanding a grand final gets played. fill up the opinion pages you name it.

Even if its a 1% chance of success its worth it.

Blue Mountain State style Corn Field game to cap the season. Even if the result is never official it'll be good enough for us.

write up a big sob story to the west about how we are a club starved of success and we were very proud of the girls (all true) embelish it as much as possible the west will love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets all send the afl, the west australian, the herald sun and the age an angry email demanding a grand final gets played. fill up the opinion pages you name it.

Even if its a 1% chance of success its worth it.

June long weekend sounds like an available date.

Freo Oval will look a treat.

It's not a conspiracy. It's disrespectful to women & freemantle. Would they have pushed for a final if it was mens footy? Would they be getting collingwood & Richmond to play a final. You betcha. But take it lying down. That what we are good at.
So they would have argued that it’s essential travel?

i feel sorry for people like you who think the whole world is against them.

Wake up to yourself...

I'm gutted as much as you are but this is not the AFL's fault or some greater conspiracy against Freo... bloody hell mate... open your eyes

Conspiracy against Freo? Probably not, when incompetence is as good an explanation.

But not the AFL's fault? When they pushed ahead with an 8 team final structure that was never going to be wrapped up and didn't have a plan to award a winner when it got canned? Bullshit.

Ok maybe I got a bit hot under the collar claiming they’re cheating Freo out of the cup. But if it was a fair and equitable comp, imo, it should be ours by virtue of our win-loss record during H&A and/or aggregate points in the finals.

If it were Norfmania in our position, I reckon you could put your house on the premiership cup sitting in the trophy cabinet at Arden St right now.

Change my mind.

Congrats to our girls, the 2020 AFLW Premiers. It was a historic season going undefeated, playing in the highest scoring game, and beating a team by the biggest margin ever in AFLW history.

You will be the premiers in my eyes and the rest can go yap all they want.

#FirstFreoPremiership2020

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They should have seeded the teams before the finals.. would have made this so much simpler
Something. Anything. For a professional competition your fallback position surely isn't "Oh well, that was a waste of time then". They knew that completing the 3 weeks of finals was a highly optimistic scenario when they opted for it. Then and there once they communicated that the proactive position would've been to state they were choosing that as an ideal, but should they not get past week 1 then X would happen, if it had to be wound up after week 2 then Y.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back