Remove this Banner Ad

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
She certainly was and nah it wouldn't be awkward at all. Fairly sure Roxy was in our academy as well.

Excuse me while I go cry
we can't pick the team our kids play for. sometimes they will just come out and announce that they play for the other team. just blame the extra tears on manopause.

maybe we'll see your future profile also supporting Fremantle AFLW next year (from memory this is your kid's draft year?).

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
She certainly was and nah it wouldn't be awkward at all. Fairly sure Roxy was in our academy as well.

Excuse me while I go cry
Your club hasn’t taken the woman seriously enough.

Plus, you had first dibs on Roxy.

After being in the Eagles academy, she want to be drafted by the dockers because lack of respect for the women’s game.

we can't pick the team our kids play for. sometimes they will just come out and announce that they play for the other team. just blame the extra tears on manopause.

maybe we'll see your future profile also supporting Fremantle AFLW next year (from memory this is your kid's draft year?).
Nah she’s 16 at seasons end. Next year or year after.

If she’s in purple, then so am I.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 7.18.34 pm.png

Purplrrr

All Australian
Jun 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm worried about even having a season next year? I mean the women start earlier and they won't be able to hub... would they delay the season and let them play concurrent to the men? I've already accepted Xmas this year with interstate fam isn't going to happen. Do I need to to start emotionally preparing myself for no women's footy? ☹️

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

TBF didn't she fly from the other side of the country and take a paycut to coach our side? And then leave because of a dispute over development opportunities and resourcing? Not sure I'd read that tweet as a sign that she didn't give a s**t about Freo.

With that said I'm pretty happy to have replaced her with Cooper and I'm not sure what the clubs side of the story is on this; not sure how much I rate the Guardian's reporting of AFLW.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
PurpleThunder - Pretty sure she’s originally from Perth but was coaching in the VFLW, or assisting somewhere. She had the opportunity to get a coaching gig at the highest level in the women’s game and jumped at it.
My understanding regarding her departure was that her game plan wasn’t up to scratch, was confusing, and relied on chipping the ball around in the back half waiting for something to open up. The girls didn’t have the skills to play that game style, and as a result she didn’t have the trust / cohesiveness that is needed between coach and team.
Enter Cooper, the game plan is changed, the skills are improved, certain players are given licence to play on instinct while other are more the glue that holds it all together. They play for each other, for the jumper and for the coach, and have lost only 2-3 games since he took the reins. He can stay. 😊

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
PurpleThunder - Pretty sure she’s originally from Perth but was coaching in the VFLW, or assisting somewhere. She had the opportunity to get a coaching gig at the highest level in the women’s game and jumped at it.
My understanding regarding her departure was that her game plan wasn’t up to scratch, was confusing, and relied on chipping the ball around in the back half waiting for something to open up. The girls didn’t have the skills to play that game style, and as a result she didn’t have the trust / cohesiveness that is needed between coach and team.
Enter Cooper, the game plan is changed, the skills are improved, certain players are given licence to play on instinct while other are more the glue that holds it all together. They play for each other, for the jumper and for the coach, and have lost only 2-3 games since he took the reins. He can stay. 😊

I'm not going to argue that we were better off with Cowan. If anything I'm pissed off she had to jump rather then be pushed out the door. And Cooper has been far better for the team and for women's footy in the state.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm not going to argue that we were better off with Cowan. If anything I'm pissed off she had to jump rather then be pushed out the door. And Cooper has been far better for the team and for women's footy in the state.
I think she was push-jumped. 😉

(and I didn’t think you were arguing, I guess I was just elaborating)

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gooch, Williams, Mascall, Grieve, Pugh, Cuthbertson, Stewart, O'Driscoll, Webb, McMahon and Tighe all resigned :) Good times.

edit - for those playing at home that leaves Clifford, Garstone, Rohde and Flood. Assuming all will be delisted.

Clifford, Garstone, Rodhe not offered contracts, Flood not returning for 2021 due to personal reasons, could come back over in a future year

damn you wayToGo_ for beating me

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm worried about even having a season next year? I mean the women start earlier and they won't be able to hub... would they delay the season and let them play concurrent to the men? I've already accepted Xmas this year with interstate fam isn't going to happen. Do I need to to start emotionally preparing myself for no women's footy? ☹
yep highly unlikely at this stage unfortunately. Possibly will delay it if the dirty vics and welshmen can actually eliminate rona or one or more vaccine arrives (which is looking more and more likely with the US and UK vaccines in phase III for the next few months and IIB shown to be quite successful).

yep highly unlikely at this stage unfortunately. Possibly will delay it if the dirty vics and welshmen can actually eliminate rona or one or more vaccine arrives (which is looking more and more likely with the US and UK vaccines in phase III for the next few months and IIB shown to be quite successful).
There would be no excuse to not play all the games here though - the WAFL grounds are where they play now, except a few at Optus.

I would expect a condensed season and just ruin their outside employment.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
There would be no excuse to not play all the games here though - the WAFL grounds are where they play now, except a few at Optus.

I would expect a condensed season and just ruin their outside employment.
you forgot the laughing emoji

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
Gonna miss Flood. I will especially miss the occasional looks of confusion she had after disposing of the pill. Even after kicking goals, all these people would arrive and she always looked like she was wondering why they were there.

Sarah Garstone would have been a tough call to make - she seems like a fabric sort of player.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dear Freo Media Team,

You put up two posts about the re-signings today on Instagram and then quickly pulled them down so you could put up "Thanks to the 3 Delisted Players"... nice work.

Now you've put them back up but still got the year in the background wrong. Should be "2021" people! (assuming they are all on one year contracts).

edit - admittedly the '1' in 2021 won't look nearly as good as the '0' in 2020 or the '2' in 2022.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Surprised by the delisting of Rohde and Garstone. I hope whatever is troubling Kate Flood is sorted in time. She was a great asset to our team last year, but personal life always comes before sport. Fingers crossed Floody, go well and looking forward to seeing you back in purple soon. 💜

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sad for Garstone but her, Bresland and Clifford leaving makes our list a lot better balanced. It also makes sense given the types of players we'll likely take with our first pick (and maybe our second as well) at the draft. The timing of everything sucked a bit for Flood - she looked like she was about to tear a game apart before the shutdown. Hopefully we see her back in future years.

Tighe returning is awesome and hopefully McMahon getting a contract is a sign she is overcoming her injuries well. Throw in Cain's run from the wing returning and the future looks bright.

I think Shanae Davison would fit perfectly in our forward line (taking Flood's spot). We've put a lot of work into Nyra Anderson, who has some good skills and wouldn't look out of place in the forward line either. Mikayla Morrison would be great as well but suspect WC will snap her up. The two Hyde sisters are tiny but very talented - think at least Mikayla Hyde will be drafted. Sarah Wielstra might be unlucky given both WA lists have rucks. That's a lot of names from the Swans. Roisin Walsh from East Freo might be one to look at as well. Am intrigued what WC will do at the draft - assuming Dowrick with their first pick but not sure who they will want after that.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sad for Garstone but her, Bresland and Clifford leaving makes our list a lot better balanced. It also makes sense given the types of players we'll likely take with our first pick (and maybe our second as well) at the draft. The timing of everything sucked a bit for Flood - she looked like she was about to tear a game apart before the shutdown. Hopefully we see her back in future years.

Tighe returning is awesome and hopefully McMahon getting a contract is a sign she is overcoming her injuries well. Throw in Cain's run from the wing returning and the future looks bright.

I think Shanae Davison would fit perfectly in our forward line (taking Flood's spot). We've put a lot of work into Nyra Anderson, who has some good skills and wouldn't look out of place in the forward line either. Mikayla Morrison would be great as well but suspect WC will snap her up. The two Hyde sisters are tiny but very talented - think at least Mikayla Hyde will be drafted. Sarah Wielstra might be unlucky given both WA lists have rucks. That's a lot of names from the Swans. Roisin Walsh from East Freo might be one to look at as well. Am intrigued what WC will do at the draft - assuming Dowrick with their first pick but not sure who they will want after that.

1597304342020.png

Very impressive of Roisin to score goals without ever touching the ball.

Reckon WAFL might need to fix that part of their site.

Attachments

• 1597304308375.png
    1597304308375.png
    14 KB · Views: 19
Yeah they don't publish stats (other than goals and behinds) for WAFLW players yet. Everyone has all zeroes.
Shits me to no uncertain terms this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back