Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Davison play on the weekend and she looked the standout player on the field. Why didn’t we (or West Coast) draft her last year? Has she improved that much this year that she wasn’t worth a late pick last year?

Those are some great comments from TC. Mim Strom playing well probably the highlight in all that for me.

Pugh, Seth, Williams and Cuthbertson all in the bests is a pretty good sign for our defence in 2021.

Sergeant building nicely is great news also.

I went down to see East Freo vs Claremont and it was a real pleasure to watch Seth and O'Sullivan play. Compared with the rest of the players on field O'Sullivan really worked hard to try and create good attacking options and looked to play on at all opportunities. Philipa Seth was all class, when the game was on the line she stepped up her efforts and really willed the team to success. The other player for Easts I quite liked watching play was Ruby Shleicher who either does or has played for Collingwood.
I found it quite a bit harder to distinguish the Claremont women as I am less familiar with them.

I went down to see East Freo vs Claremont and it was a real pleasure to watch Seth and O'Sullivan play. Compared with the rest of the players on field O'Sullivan really worked hard to try and create good attacking options and looked to play on at all opportunities. Philipa Seth was all class, when the game was on the line she stepped up her efforts and really willed the team to success. The other player for Easts I quite liked watching play was Ruby Shleicher who either does or has played for Collingwood.
I found it quite a bit harder to distinguish the Claremont women as I am less familiar with them.
I haven't watched the whole game online yet but agree with everything you've said re EF so far. O'Sullivan is a class above.

But Laura Pugh (who looks nothing like an athlete) was clear BOG in what I've seen so far. Just everywhere and so clean and composed.

Seen enough of Walsh to think she's a bit slow and lumbering for AFLW. Chloe Reilly still my biggest want from this game (have to wait a while to she is eligible though) - Pugh taking her out in q1 wasn't ideal but she was fine after being patched up.

I haven't watched the whole game online yet but agree with everything you've said re EF so far. O'Sullivan is a class above.

But Laura Pugh (who looks nothing like an athlete) was clear BOG in what I've seen so far. Just everywhere and so clean and composed.

Seen enough of Walsh to think she's a bit slow and lumbering for AFLW. Chloe Reilly still my biggest want from this game (have to wait a while to she is eligible though) - Pugh taking her out in q1 wasn't ideal but she was fine after being patched up.

Pugh a class above imop.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've loved watching her turn into an excellent player. Seems to have a very good footy brain.

So if Dowrick and Davison are picks 1 (WC) and 2 (Freo), who you thinking for pick 3 (WC)? Morrison?
On tomorrow. Would love to see footage of this, many names I have never seen play.
I like Franklin as a pick for the Eagles (perhaps because I have actually seen her play), but I dont think she is actually ready to have an impact yet she is very raw. But Eagles seem to be willing to put Rosie Deegan in the back pocket for later, so maybe they do the same with Franklin? I dont think Freo need her, but who knows. Dowrick isnt playing in this, and seemed to disappear for much of last year, so, is she even nominating?

But, here is the fundamental problem with picking the draft. Peel just lost to Subi by 9 points. Subi had 9 current or former AFLW players playing. Peel had a 15 year old, two 16 year olds, three 18s, two 19s and three 20s. So, 11 players 20 or under, and they almost beat the top team. And most of them I have never seen play.
1597754943391.png

On tomorrow. Would love to see footage of this, many names I have never seen play.
I like Franklin as a pick for the Eagles (perhaps because I have actually seen her play), but I dont think she is actually ready to have an impact yet she is very raw. But Eagles seem to be willing to put Rosie Deegan in the back pocket for later, so maybe they do the same with Franklin? I dont think Freo need her, but who knows. Dowrick isnt playing in this, and seemed to disappear for much of last year, so, is she even nominating?

But, here is the fundamental problem with picking the draft. Peel just lost to Subi by 9 points. Subi had 9 current or former AFLW players playing. Peel had a 15 year old, two 16 year olds, three 18s, two 19s and three 20s. So, 11 players 20 or under, and they almost beat the top team. And most of them I have never seen play.

Franklin was born 2003, so not eligible until next year. There aren't many fast, strong six-footers running around, and she'll be a lot better in a year's time, hard to see her not going first. Freo will probably take Rowley second, then I like Charlie Thomas for the Eagles... but that's a year away, hopefully the number of big talents with their hands up will at least double by then.

No idea who pick 3 might be this year, since so many of them are so physically similar. Morrison's as good a bet as any. Then Kara Antonio was saying on the WAFLW telecast that Freo really liked Verrier... haven't seen her this year since WAFLW refuse to telecast Peel games, so maybe she's even a shot for Eagles second pick.

Re; Dowrick, Abbey might know she's favourite for pick one and not bother playing in this game, particularly if she's still carrying some kind of injury from last season. The turnaround's pretty short. And yes, if anyone at WAFLW is reading this -- full replay on Youtube please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, which is why I was stoked Freo invested a lot in 18-19yos last draft. Anyone following even remotely closely can see the youngsters will be upgrades (overall) on the older players in time because they'll have had better development paths available to them. Suspect this year (and onwards) both clubs will invest heavily in drafting and developing youngsters because there are some really talented players coming through.
No idea who pick 3 might be this year, since so many of them are so physically similar. Morrison's as good a bet as any. Then Kara Antonio was saying on the WAFLW telecast that Freo really liked Verrier... haven't seen her this year since WAFLW refuse to telecast Peel games, so maybe she's even a shot for Eagles second pick.
Freo have put a fair bit of work into Sarah Verrier and Nyra Anderson so I won't be surprised if we draft either or both of them. But with only 3 picks available there are no guarantees. I personally think Abbey Dowrick, Shanae Davison, Mikayla Morrison and Verrier are the best four this draft so I don't think Freo would hesitate grabbing any of them if they are still on the board but expect WC to get two of them. The pool seems a bit devoid of quality talls (most seem way too lumbering) but the top names are all great aerially (a bit like Roxy). I think players like Isabella Lewis and the Hyde sisters are talented but seem so tiny for AFLW. Looking forward to seeing someone not on the radar being drafted.

Amy Franklin as WC's first pick next year is a good bet - she's huge and is relatively agile unlike many other talls playing WAFLW. Freo is all over Courtney Rowley - absolute gun. Think those two are definitely looking #1 and #2 next year atm. Chloe Reilly is my pick for 2022 - booming kick and just often seems to be involved in scores for East Freo.

Loving that the WAFL clubs aren't afraid to throw their youngsters in at WAFLW level. Peel and Swans seem to be playing with very young sides and aren't getting blown away in games.

Hopefully they'll stream the game tonight. Although I might try and get down to watch a bit. I'm assuming Mia Schleicher is Ruby's sister?

There aren't many fast, strong six-footers running around, and she'll be a lot better in a year's time, hard to see her not going first.
Also a bloody great character. Humble as. Love catching up with her at WP Rogers games and chatting about her game the week prior. Has kicked a goal almost every week from memory?

Also lads we’re on the Freo board 😂 Sorry guys!

I think players like Isabella Lewis and the Hyde sisters are talented but seem so tiny for AFLW.
My daughter is the same height as these two (she has a far better vertical and sprint speed but lacks a tank & still learning the craft) so I’ve already told her that to standout she’ll need to focus on training (endurance, cor, strength) outside of club times now...not sure she understands that she’s 17 in Dec 2022 and that her time to focus is now.

Loving that the WAFL clubs aren't afraid to throw their youngsters in at WAFLW level. Peel and Swans seem to be playing with very young sides and aren't getting blown away in games.

Yep, a few of Biggie Jnrs academy mates are playing WAFLW. I’ve done all I can, it’s up to her now. WP reserves need to finish top 2 in 2020 to help bring a senior side to the WAFLW in 2021....then you’ll see our young falcons - and the players we’ve sent Claremont (Amy Franklin, Em Bennett,) Swans (Isabel Strover)

Our WP Rogers Cup group have only 3 players that cannot play for us next year due to age. We’ve blooded 18 new girls over the year - including a 14 yr old who (15 in Dec) very much gave Poppy Stockwell (SF) a bloody hard time. 3 of poppys 4 goals v us were against others as she was getting her knees tended too.

Futures bright in the northern corridor :)

Apologies I’ll disappear now....till next post lol

Last edited:
Freo have put a fair bit of work into Sarah Verrier and Nyra Anderson so I won't be surprised if we draft either or both of them. But with only 3 picks available there are no guarantees. I personally think Abbey Dowrick, Shanae Davison, Mikayla Morrison and Verrier are the best four this draft so I don't think Freo would hesitate grabbing any of them if they are still on the board but expect WC to get two of them. The pool seems a bit devoid of quality talls (most seem way too lumbering) but the top names are all great aerially (a bit like Roxy). I think players like Isabella Lewis and the Hyde sisters are talented but seem so tiny for AFLW. Looking forward to seeing someone not on the radar being drafted.

Yep, this year's draft looks a little thin compared to last year, mostly because of the lack of talls. But the talent's certainly there. If the Hydes and Lewis were bigger, both teams would be all over them.

Amy Franklin as WC's first pick next year is a good bet - she's huge and is relatively agile unlike many other talls playing WAFLW. Freo is all over Courtney Rowley - absolute gun. Think those two are definitely looking #1 and #2 next year atm. Chloe Reilly is my pick for 2022 - booming kick and just often seems to be involved in scores for East Freo.

Freo will be thrilled to see Franklin develop, mostly because it means West Coast will pick her and not Rowley. WC desperately need agile talls at either end, while Freo's only minor weakness right now is midfield depth. And given talls take longer to develop, Rowley will likely be making a big impact earlier than Franklin will. Then I've just seen Charlie Thomas play the one game, 175cm coming out of defence and her hands and kicking skills were terrific, so great for the Eagles. If there's more coming like these three, both clubs will be happy.

And South Fremantle seem to have stabilised, now that they've replaced much of their senior team with juniors. A few of their kids are getting big raps, the next couple of years they could be much better. Now we just need a couple of the weaker Rogers Cup teams to get their act together.

Swung past and had a quick look at the talent squad playing last night - they were playing pretty short quarters so I suspect the game didn't go for long. Realised once I got there I didn't have a team sheet (no numbers) so had no idea who a bunch of players were.

Chloe Reilly and Courtney Rowley both look great on the outside with their willingness to go for a run - very much solidified me wanting them at Freo. Bella Lewis probably stood out the most for me - deserves to be drafted. This of course assumes I recognised them correctly. I thought Lewis was Mikayla Hyde initially but worked it out with the continual shouting of her name (she had the ball a lot).

Kicking skills ultra variable amongst players. Some were kicking darts whilst others struggled to even get the ball on their foot at times. You can definitely see the pool will continue to improve over time though. Really wish they'd record and upload these games so people could check them out.

Nice work Manning Rippers and Tyler... Surely the youngest female coach in Australia?

My daughter is the same height as these two (she has a far better vertical and sprint speed but lacks a tank & still learning the craft) so I’ve already told her that to standout she’ll need to focus on training (endurance, cor, strength) outside of club times now...not sure she understands that she’s 17 in Dec 2022 and that her time to focus is now.

Yep, a few of Biggie Jnrs academy mates are playing WAFLW. I’ve done all I can, it’s up to her now. WP reserves need to finish top 2 in 2020 to help bring a senior side to the WAFLW in 2021....then you’ll see our young falcons - and the players we’ve sent Claremont (Amy Franklin, Em Bennett,) Swans (Isabel Strover)

Our WP Rogers Cup group have only 3 players that cannot play for us next year due to age. We’ve blooded 18 new girls over the year - including a 14 yr old who (15 in Dec) very much gave Poppy Stockwell (SF) a bloody hard time. 3 of poppys 4 goals v us were against others as she was getting her knees tended too.

Futures bright in the northern corridor :)

Apologies I’ll disappear now....till next post lol
Please don’t stay away.

Good to have a poster who is seeing the next wave of WA talent.

By the way, your daughter will be a docker.

The WA AFLW Combine is 30 September. The AFLW Draft is 6 October. We have picks 2, 4 & 6 (in the WA pool).

Want either Abbey Dowrick or Shanae Davison with our 1st pick (assume WC will grab Dowrick).

Want either Mikayla Morrison or Sarah Verrier with 2nd pick.

Want either Bella Lewis, Mikayla Hyde or Nyra Anderson with 3rd pick.

We are guaranteed of getting 3 decent players imo. Some require more development than others (the first two names could play round 1 and impact).

Glad we are not looking for talls this year.

(editted - had the wrong date originally sorry)

Last edited:
The WA AFLW Combine is 30 September. The AFLW Draft is 6 October. We have picks 2, 4 & 6 (in the WA pool).

Want either Abbey Dowrick or Shanae Davison with our 1st pick (assume WC will grab Dowrick).

Want either Mikayla Morrison or Sarah Verrier with 2nd pick.

Want either Bella Lewis, Mikayla Hyde or Nyra Anderson with 3rd pick.

We are guaranteed of getting 3 decent players imo. Some require more development than others (the first two names could play round 1 and impact).

Glad we are not looking for talls this year.

(editted - had the wrong date originally sorry)
Would be nice if you could do a mock WA draft?

Anyone at the Swans vs Peel game? Battle of the young guns.

For Swans -> Morrison with a couple of goals. Davison with 1. Webb with 1.

Peel a goal up though.

edit - Rowley with a goal.

update - Davison now with 3 goals, Anderson chipping in with 1. Olivia Cripps (15yo -> future AFLW draftee) with 1. The drafting list in my prior post is looking good :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back