Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Courtney Rowley and the youngsters at Peel are going great v East Freo atm. Not convinced WC should have delisted Bartlett.

I thought Bilcich and Church were pretty good.

Ella Roberts two goals were awesome from 15 year old kid.

Kira Phillips commenters saying she is 16 and WAFL website saying she is 23. Destroyed the Sharks and pretty straight kick.

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought Bilcich and Church were pretty good.

Ella Roberts two goals were awesome from 15 year old kid.

Kira Phillips commenters saying she is 16 and WAFL website saying she is 16. Destroyed the Sharks and pretty straight kick.
Yeah they've got some great youngsters at Peel. Rowley still the pick of the bunch imo but those two goals by Roberts were great.

Kira Phillips is 25? Did you mean Courtney Rowley?

Great win Peel. Sorry to Hayley Miller but I'm barracking for the Peel youngsters. Love an underdog story :)

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah they've got some great youngsters at Peel. Rowley still the pick of the bunch imo but those two goals by Roberts were great.

Great win Peel. Sorry to Hayley Miller but I'm barracking for the Peel youngsters. Love an underdog story :)
Must have got my wires crossed.

Does my love for Hayley Miller override my hatred for Scabbiaco?

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK

Makes more sense.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Must have got my wires crossed.

Does my love for Hayley Miller override my hatred for Scabbiaco?
I treat the Subi women's team completely independent from the men's (they aren't ****s like them until they prove otherwise). Loving both Miller and Stannett helps that but still supporting Peel for the GF despite having zero Freo players playing for them atm. Can't lose really with these WAFLW GFs - will be happy with whichever wins.

BTW Kira Phillips used to be on Freo's list in 2017. She's a bit like the forward line version of Emily McGuire. Very talented but seemingly not quite suited to the AFLW environment.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I treat the Subi women's team completely independent from the men's (they aren't ****s like them until they prove otherwise). Loving both Miller and Stannett helps that but still supporting Peel for the GF despite having zero Freo players playing for them atm. Can't lose really with these WAFLW GFs - will be happy with whichever wins.

BTW Kira Phillips used to be on Freo's list in 2017. She's a bit like the forward line version of Emily McGuire. Very talented but seemingly not quite suited to the AFLW environment.
I will go for Peel.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
For those interested, the WAFLW Grand Final is going to be televised on 7 this Saturday.

I considered heading up to Joondalup to watch but have an event in Freo that night so wouldn't make it back in time. Anyone know of any pubs that might be playing the game on a big screen in Freo?

Freo players Miller (#19), Cuthbertson (#26) and Stannett (#22) will no doubt feature prominently for Subi. You should also check out Abbey Dowrick (#23) and Maggie McLachlan (#21) who are prospects this year, plus Charlie Thomas (#4) who is a prospect for next year.

Freo doesn't have anybody playing for Peel but worth watching them to see some top future AFLW talent. Sarah Verrier (#7) and Ebony Bilcich (#17) are two prospects this year. Verrier was injured in the first passage of play last weekend and didn't return to the ground, so not sure if she will be playing (it was her first game back so she's been a bit unlucky lately :(). As for future drafts they have two absolute top end talents in Courtney Rowley (#18) and Ella Roberts (#38).

A lot of these best up-and-comers in WAFLW (including others like Chloe Reilly from East Freo) are excellent on the outside so look to the wings and you should find a few of them :)

edit - I forgot Cuthbo is out with an MCL - big loss for Subi down back.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
For those interested, the WAFLW Grand Final is going to be televised on 7 this Saturday.

I considered heading up to Joondalup to watch but have an event in Freo that night so wouldn't make it back in time. Anyone know of any pubs that might be playing the game on a big screen in Freo?

Freo players Miller (#19), Cuthbertson (#26) and Stannett (#22) will no doubt feature prominently for Subi. You should also check out Abbey Dowrick (#23) and Maggie McLachlan (#21) who are prospects this year, plus Charlie Thomas (#4) who is a prospect for next year.

Freo doesn't have anybody playing for Peel but worth watching them to see some top future AFLW talent. Sarah Verrier (#7) and Ebony Bilcich (#17) are two prospects this year. Verrier was injured in the first passage of play last weekend and didn't return to the ground, so not sure if she will be playing (it was her first game back so she's been a bit unlucky lately :(). As for future drafts they have two absolute top end talent in Courtney Rowley (#18) and Ella Roberts (#38).

A lot of these best up-and-comers in WAFLW (including others like Chloe Reilly from East Freo) are excellent on the outside so look to the wings and you should find a few of them :)

edit - I forgot Cuthbo is out with an MCL - big loss for Subi down back.

What do you think of Abbey Barndon?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do you think of Abbey Barndon?
Thought she did well in the ruck against Bowey on the weekend. She'd be fairly undersized as an AFLW ruck though.

Peel has a few in their early 20s like Abby. They are probably all a bit unlucky with the timing of AFLW. Teams invested in mature bodies in the early years of AFLW and now the under 18s coming through are projecting at a whole new level, so clubs are investing in the youngsters, leaving few opportunities for those in their 20s that aren't already in the AFLW system. I just hope the WAFC invests in WAFLW because it is still miles from its potential ceiling and it could become a really attractive comp to watch in the not-to-distant future.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought she did well in the ruck against Bowey on the weekend. She'd be fairly undersized as an AFLW ruck though.

Peel has a few in their early 20s like Abby. They are probably all a bit unlucky with the timing of AFLW. Teams invested in mature bodies in the early years of AFLW and now the under 18s coming through are projecting at a whole new level, so clubs are investing in the youngsters, leaving few opportunities for those in their 20s that aren't already in the AFLW system. I just hope the WAFC invests in WAFLW because it is still miles from its potential ceiling and it could become a really attractive comp to watch in the not-to-distant future.
I would hope that mature age players get a chance.

Bilcich on the weekend was very good. Love for her to get a go at AFLW.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m going for Peel so she won’t anyway.
I want Abby and her team to win even more after reading this.

Clemen

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Liking the young talent coming through. Like others, I’m torn between loving Hayley but not liking Subiaco (even though the men’s team is treated differently).

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Peel are a wonderful club. They cop a lot of sh*t from the WAFC and the western suburb club supporters but they deserve this result.

The ladies and the coaches and support staff worked their arses off for this and thoroughly deserve it.
What I noticed was the amount of players from the South West.

Seems like a massive advantage.

Back