Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sharp and Duffy not playing next year just opens spots for Morrison, Tighe and McMahon to fill. I'm really excited to see what Morrison can bring as she just exudes x-factor and looks dangerous whenever the ball is near her (like Duffy). If Tighe can get through her injury issues I still think she could tear the competition apart. She's tall, ultra quick and very skilled. She'll make a massive difference to our team, and a male version is exactly what the men's team needs as well.

Hyde and Verrier were very good in the WAFLW Grand Final and I can see both taking another step next year, both playing more midfield/wing. Webb has taken a step via WAFLW as well, playing more inside.

The 'big' move I'd make this off-season is putting Ebony back to CHB. I'm not sure we got any more attacking play from her playing on the wing than we did in her first AFLW seasons playing down back. CHF would be the other option but I think we need to back in Roux and others to take another step.

I don't think we can go wrong getting either Rowley or Franklin with our first pick. Good talls are hard to come by and Franklin looks a quality prospect for either end of the ground. Rowley is my favourite young player apart from Roberts so my preference is her but if it doesn't happen then so be it. West Coast really need some tall targets so it is going to be an impossible choice for them. Picking 5 more after our first pick seems a lot but I don't think the WA pool is as shallow as some are saying - none at the Rowley/Franklin level but quite a few worth taking a chance on imo.
Well only picking 4 more after Rowley/Franklin cos I'm saving a spot for them to redraft KJ. :thumbsu:

She didn’t look good physically last season but still a huge loss.

Freo are obsessed with fitness over skills. She was fine compared to other girls at Freo who were fitness junkies but couldn’t hit a target to save their life.

Skills>Fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freo are obsessed with fitness over skills. She was fine compared to other girls at Freo who were fitness junkies but couldn’t hit a target to save their life.

Skills>Fitness

I agree, but I'll raise you Skills with Fitness = best player in the competition and literally wins games because of it.

I agree, but I'll raise you Skills with Fitness = best player in the competition and literally wins games because of it.

Of course you need balance between the 2 but make skills the priority.

You can’t expect part time footballers to be fully fit. I bet if you paid Duffy our Captain’s salary she would be fit.

Of course you need balance between the 2 but make skills the priority.

You can’t expect part time footballers to be fully fit. I bet if you paid Duffy our Captain’s salary she would be fit.

Given the state of international women's sports, we could probably have international players calling AFLW clubs if we were paying that sort of money.

If you had a spare billion it might be a sneaky way of getting AFL as a brand out to the rest of the world by having all their national stars playing this new game that looks fun.

It won't be great for AFL skills short term.

Sharp and Duffy not playing next year just opens spots for Morrison, Tighe and McMahon to fill. I'm really excited to see what Morrison can bring as she just exudes x-factor and looks dangerous whenever the ball is near her (like Duffy). If Tighe can get through her injury issues I still think she could tear the competition apart. She's tall, ultra quick and very skilled. She'll make a massive difference to our team, and a male version is exactly what the men's team needs as well.

Hyde and Verrier were very good in the WAFLW Grand Final and I can see both taking another step next year, both playing more midfield/wing. Webb has taken a step via WAFLW as well, playing more inside.

The 'big' move I'd make this off-season is putting Ebony back to CHB. I'm not sure we got any more attacking play from her playing on the wing than we did in her first AFLW seasons playing down back. CHF would be the other option but I think we need to back in Roux and others to take another step.

I don't think we can go wrong getting either Rowley or Franklin with our first pick. Good talls are hard to come by and Franklin looks a quality prospect for either end of the ground. Rowley is my favourite young player apart from Roberts so my preference is her but if it doesn't happen then so be it. West Coast really need some tall targets so it is going to be an impossible choice for them. Picking 5 more after our first pick seems a lot but I don't think the WA pool is as shallow as some are saying - none at the Rowley/Franklin level but quite a few worth taking a chance on imo.
thanks for sharing this!

I agree something has to be done with Eps, she didn't have a good year and she is too good of a player to not be a big contributor. I though after her form at the back of 2020 on the wing that she was about to take over the com
So good to hear about Bianca too, she did some really good things but just never got it enough, hopefully she can take the next step cause you want the ball in her hands!
Will be very interesting to see what happens in the draft, can't wait

Rowley "tipped to become an Eagle" according to the headline.

Also of note:

Absolutely huge for Gold Coast.

This post has me looking forward to next season, forgot about Tighe. I was starting to feel pretty gloomy without Duffy and Sharp.

she must have bolted because Franklin has been the one tipped to go no 1 for the longest time hey?

wayToGo_ would know more than me, but I think that had less to do with Franklin's talent compared to Rowley and more that Franklin appears to be a more obvious need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1181228
rushed one I threw together just before but I think the ranges for girls are about right. It's much harder to do a girls phantom than a boys dammit!

Campbell looks more and more like a steal for the Dogs/ Dees everyday, reckon she'll be a serious player with the potential to become a genuine midfielder with her athleticism, also really like Sherar and would take her higher if I had picks.

1626852634021.png

PMBangers did this mock draft on the AFLW forum draft thread. Few other tall forwards showing something for WA (Lakay broke a few records at the combine) so good chance West Coast grab Rowley and fill that KPF list need with the other talls.

Phantom Draft prediction for us:

FREMANTLE:

#14 Amy Franklin (Claremont)
#31 Dana East (Swan Districts)
#38 Makaela Tuhakaraina (South Fremantle)
#46 Bella Mann (Peel Thunder)
#60 Tessa Doumanis (Claremont)
#69 Pia Staltari (Sandringham Dragons)

Declan Reeve says …

“Fremantle are already a well rounded side, fortunately allowing a bit of freedom with their selections with West Coast getting first dibs at some of the upper end talent. Fremantle’s first pick ended up being Amy Franklin after West Coast selected Courtney Rowley, with Franklin’s versatility to play up either end in a key post and overall athleticism adding to their stocks of exciting talls. Dana East can come in and learn on the job from Kiara Bowers as an inside midfielder, with her hands in close bound to make the outside receivers happy. Makaela Tuhakaraina will provide a lot of speed in the forward line or on the wing. Bella Mann is a strong intercept marker down back and Tessa Doumanis is the teammate of Franklin at Claremont, able to get herself on the scoreboard with ease. Pia Staltari is a utility with good skills and speed that she uses to impact in all roles. With so many picks there were plenty of players that came into consideration at various times, Chloe Reilly was one I really thought about with picks 31 and 38, as well as Beth Schilling and Matilda Dyke for some key defensive reinforcement.”

And for the Dirty Birds:

WEST COAST:

#3 Courtney Rowley (Peel Thunder)
#21 Sarah Lakay (Swan Districts)
#24 Charlotte Thomas (Subiaco)
#41 Chloe Reilly (East Fremantle)
#53 Emily Bennett (Claremont)

Peter Williams says …

“West Coast has a really strong draft hand, with three of the first four selections in the West Australian pool. Weighing up between tall and small with the first selection, I opted to go Peel Thunder’s Courtney Rowley to add that touch of class to the midfield with the Eagles, and then back up with a couple of taller options in ruck Sarah Lakay and versatile talent Charlie Thomas. All three are different prospects and add a dynamic mix to the team. Versatile small Chloe Reilly represents value as one who could improve in the future and has strong hands and a booming kick, much like Emily Bennett out of Claremont. Both are highly competitive, and Bennett has put together a consistent season for me to pick her up with the final selection for the Eagles. Amy Franklin is a clear consideration for the first selection, in which case it would trigger a different set of next selections, with Dana East being that pure midfield option. Beth Schilling was another potential pick-up late in the mix as well.”

I think Amy Franklin (if available) might be a lock.
She's the smart money. Her and Rowley have been the top 2 prospects all year. Charlotte Thomas is the smokey though as she is talented and may very well be similarly rated if not for injuries. We picked Verrier with our first pick without a lot of exposed form last year. I think we'll be fine with any of Rowley, Franklin or Thomas. Unfortunately I don't think WC can pass on Rowley with their first pick. We're giving them a gift if we don't select Franklin if they do as she fits their needs big time - but we need to draft what is best for us and we may feel Thomas suits us better (I still think Franklin makes more sense for us - good talls are hard to come by), and then we may take a chance on Lakay (who is athletically better but needs a lot of development).

WC haven't made up their mind apparently...

I think Chloe Reilly is underrated so I'd love her on our list. I can see us getting Dana East to sure up our inside mid stocks - I like her but I'm not sure I see her as a future best AFLW mid - so would we just be drafting immediate mid depth with her? Personally I'd rather Makaela Tuhakaraina who is tiny but brings exceptional agility and speed.

I think we have 6 spots so I'm expecting some surprises. Won't be surprised to see a previously delisted player end up on our list again, nor 1 or 2 from the East coast. As much as we want a premiership I hope we have an eye on the future with our drafting this year - the youngsters coming through will pass the older mob in a few years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back