Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast were reportedly still weighing up who to select with their first pick in the AFLW draft, a little over 24 hours out from the event despite having no competition for who they deem WA’s best prospect. The Eagles will shape the early stages of the draft, holding three of the first four picks in Western Australia’s draft pool, including the all-important first WA pick at selection three overall.

With the AFLW not yet a full-time competition, players nominate for the state in which they wish to be drafted, meaning an overwhelming majority of selections will already reside in WA. Despite knowing since the end of the AFLW season they would inherit WA’s first selection, the Eagles spent much of Monday pondering their options as Fremantle lurk at pick two, selection 14 overall.

West Coast are believed to be tossing up between Peel Thunder midfielder Courtney Rowley and Subiaco rising star Charlotte Thomas, who only played one WAFLW game this season due to a fractured arm, for their elusive first pick. Claremont’s key forward Amy Franklin is also firmly in the conversation, following in the footsteps of West Coast’s 2020 first selection Isabella Lewis who won the club’s Club Champion award this season after being drafted from the Tigers. The Eagles are also understood to be keen on Swan Districts’ ruck Sarah Lakay who broke both standing vertical leap and running left foot vertical leap records at the recent AFLW combine. While the Dockers could swoop on South Fremantle rugby convert Makaela Tuhakaraina as a replacement for inactive forward Sabreena Duffy.

Fremantle holds six picks in total including picks 14, 31, 38, 44, 52 and 57 while the Eagles boast picks three, 21, 24, 40 and 47. Rowley, who was named All-Australian after the AFLW Under-19 National Championships, hoped she had done enough to impress after missing Peel’s 2021 premiership with an ankle injury.

“I don’t have the words,” Rowley said when asked what it would mean to be drafted. “You probably don’t realise how amazing it is going to be until you get there. “I’m happy to go anywhere. They’re both great clubs. “I was a bit devastated (to get injured). I kept thinking I just need to play one more game, one more game for them to see what I can do. “I just have to think I’ve done enough. I have to keep thinking that because I’m very doubtful.” Franklin, 18, said it would be an honour to become the third Claremont product to be taken first in WA, following in the footsteps of Lewis and Fremantle’s Jasmin Stewart.

“It would be amazing” Franklin said. “All of the hard work we’ve put in over the past few years to get to where we are, it would be great to see that pay off. “Bella and I became quite close over the last year. I’ve been trying not to latch onto her but I wanted to ask what I could do to improve myself. She’s been amazing and always had my back while I’ve been at Claremont. “Either way would be amazing playing with her or against her.”

She's the smart money. Her and Rowley have been the top 2 prospects all year. Charlotte Thomas is the smokey though as she is talented and may very well be similarly rated if not for injuries. We picked Verrier with our first pick without a lot of exposed form last year. I think we'll be fine with any of Rowley, Franklin or Thomas. Unfortunately I don't think WC can pass on Rowley with their first pick. We're giving them a gift if we don't select Franklin if they do as she fits their needs big time - but we need to draft what is best for us and we may feel Thomas suits us better (I still think Franklin makes more sense for us - good talls are hard to come by), and then we may take a chance on Lakay (who is athletically better but needs a lot of development).

WC haven't made up their mind apparently...

I think Chloe Reilly is underrated so I'd love her on our list. I can see us getting Dana East to sure up our inside mid stocks - I like her but I'm not sure I see her as a future best AFLW mid - so would we just be drafting immediate mid depth with her? Personally I'd rather Makaela Tuhakaraina who is tiny but brings exceptional agility and speed.

I think we have 6 spots so I'm expecting some surprises. Won't be surprised to see a previously delisted player end up on our list again, nor 1 or 2 from the East coast. As much as we want a premiership I hope we have an eye on the future with our drafting this year - the youngsters coming through will pass the older mob in a few years time.

Freo right into selecting Franklin apparently.

Cooper is saying we'll look to draft best available with the early picks and for need with our later picks.

Must listen podcasting for those interested

Haha all these pre recorded bits saying last week show that the journos know nothing, they say things were changing over the past week yet they had told her last week she is being picked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does make you wonder whether Thomas was the consensus number 1 between the clubs?

Interesting on our article that we rated her height when selecting Franklin and we hope she may move into the midfield? in that case you'd think we take Rowley?

Seems she may be an Antonio replacement utility?

We were only going to get one look at the top four players. Can we find a midfielder at the fifth pick? Will we find elite forwards at #5?
I don't expect so.

I get the argument, but our midfield is also a level behind the other contending AFLW teams. Not sure we can address that with the midfielder we find at pick 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back