Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior coach Trent Cooper has laid down the challenge to Fremantle’s 2021 AFLW draft class, stating that all six players have the potential to play in round one if they deliver this pre-season.

After watching some footage of Dana East playing basketball (on top of some interviews I hadn't seen earlier) I'm changing my opinion of her ceiling. The raw talent is there and the athletic profile looks great for an inside mid. The only downside is I'm not sure I see any versatility outside being an inside mid so she'll need to displace our other mids to earn an opportunity. She's only played footy for a couple of years and I'll suspect she'll benefit a lot from a professional training environment - clearly has the work ethic. Her (basketball) shooting technique is pretty suspect so hopefully they can coach a bit better with her kicking technique at Freo.

My money is on Runnells to debut round 1. Looks the most ready to play AFLW imo. Can see all of them debuting at some point next year unless we have no injuries.

After watching some footage of Dana East playing basketball (on top of some interviews I hadn't seen earlier) I'm changing my opinion of her ceiling. The raw talent is there and the athletic profile looks great for an inside mid. The only downside is I'm not sure I see any versatility outside being an inside mid so she'll need to displace our other mids to earn an opportunity. She's only played footy for a couple of years and I'll suspect she'll benefit a lot from a professional training environment - clearly has the work ethic. Her (basketball) shooting technique is pretty suspect so hopefully they can coach a bit better with her kicking technique at Freo.

My money is on Runnells to debut round 1. Looks the most ready to play AFLW imo. Can see all of them debuting at some point next year unless we have no injuries.
I reckon they'll be dead keen to get Franklin & Tuhakaraina in as early as possible and as long as possible. Especially with Duffy out, what they'd bring to our attacking chops if they hit their straps is pretty hard to resist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will duffy ever come back?
Good question. A year off may peak the appetite again or may squash it in that she doesn't need all the hassle. She's got so much talent though, you'd think she'd miss strutting it on the biggest available stage.

Also be interesting if the AFLW could go full time.

I reckon they'll be dead keen to get Franklin & Tuhakaraina in as early as possible and as long as possible. Especially with Duffy out, what they'd bring to our attacking chops if they hit their straps is pretty hard to resist.
Morrison should be first to debut if she comes into preseason in good condition. Franklin might depend a bit on where Tighe is at.

At this stage, it sounds as though the coach is not at all shy of multiple debuts.
He said the same last year from memory. Setting the expectation that anyone can make the team if they put the effort in sets the right standard from the start for new players.

I know we all love shiny new toys (from the most recent draft) but two of our shiniest (Tighe and Morrison) from past years have yet to debut due to injuries. Go check out their highlights and you'll be just as excited at what they can bring as any of this year's draftees (probably more tbh).

He said the same last year from memory. Setting the expectation that anyone can make the team if they put the effort in sets the right standard from the start for new players.

I know we all love shiny new toys (from the most recent draft) but two of our shiniest (Tighe and Morrison) from past years have yet to debut due to injuries. Go check out their highlights and you'll be just as excited at what they can bring as any of this year's draftees (probably more tbh).
Well, he was pretty true to his word. Verrier was playing from round 1 and the whole season from there.

Well, he was pretty true to his word. Verrier was playing from round 1 and the whole season from there.
True but Verrier also earned it by performing well at training in the pre-season - everyone was talking about how clean she was.

Anyway I'm certainly not against Franklin being in Round 1. Maybe we'll have the tallest forward line in AFLW history...

HF Roux ~ Houghton ~ Tighe
F Wielstra ~ Franklin

Obviously not going to happen but the fact we can create a forward line with 5 capable tall forwards in our AFLW team and then have some quality sml/med forwards to slot in (even after losing Flood last year, and Sharp and Duffy this year) should hopefully show the men's team that drafting forwards isn't a bad idea.

WC and Freo in the AFLW are the AFL teams switched around. Freo AFL and WC AFLW have invested in mids and defenders at the expense of forwards. Meanwhile Freo AFLW and WC AFL both have great forward lines because they've invested in them. Maybe some learning in that?

True but Verrier also earned it by performing well at training in the pre-season - everyone was talking about how clean she was.

Anyway I'm certainly not against Franklin being in Round 1. Maybe we'll have the tallest forward line in AFLW history...

F Wielstra ~ Franklin

Obviously not going to happen but the fact we can create a forward line with 5 capable tall forwards in our AFLW team and then have some quality sml/med forwards to slot in (even after losing Flood last year, and Sharp and Duffy this year) should hopefully show the men's team that drafting forwards isn't a bad idea.

WC and Freo in the AFLW are the AFL teams switched around. Freo AFL and WC AFLW have invested in mids and defenders at the expense of forwards. Meanwhile Freo AFLW and WC AFL both have great forward lines because they've invested in them. Maybe some learning in that?
Oh yeah, that's what Cooper's saying. You're on equal footing as a newby, still got to earn it though. With the proviso that, exactly with Verrier, the players who are coming in with longer histories through competitive footy pathways have an edge in developed skills.

It'd be nice for the men's team to have dibbs on the WA talent, wouldn't it? Reeling in that attacking talent is exciting.

F Wielstra ~ Franklin

Houghton is quick, Roux is mobile, Franklin is athletic, and Tighe isn’t slow either.

Add Gabby and the new quick girl stills makes a very mobile forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back