Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Excuses FC

Senior List
Sep 6, 2017
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
AFL Club
Fremantle
The girls are back in town.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I'm looking forward to the start of the season. I hate to put pressure on the girls, but anything less than hoisting the cup at the end of the season would be a disappointment. To have another undefeated season would be remarkable, so I'll just settle for a premiership. ;)

Anyone seen a schedule yet? There's nothing on the aflw webpage.

No Excuses FC

Senior List
Sep 6, 2017
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm looking forward to the start of the season. I hate to put pressure on the girls, but anything less than hoisting the cup at the end of the season would be a disappointment. To have another undefeated season would be remarkable, so I'll just settle for a premiership. ;)

Anyone seen a schedule yet? There's nothing on the aflw webpage.

A schedule should be made available in mid-to-late November.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
No surprises... Captain and leadership team unchanged.

4th youngest list surprised me a bit. Trent Cooper and co have built something special. Girls look on. Ashley Sharp might have a bit of work to do over the coming weeks (I'll back her in) but overall the list looks in ripping nick. So much development and improvement in them from last year. I actually think Kara Antonio will remind us why she was one of the best mids in the comp -> personal best in the 2km and finishing 2nd behind Bowers is outstanding. Our senior players are exceptionally good role models.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
No surprises... Captain and leadership team unchanged.

4th youngest list surprised me a bit. Trent Cooper and co have built something special. Girls look on. Ashley Sharp might have a bit of work to do over the coming weeks (I'll back her in) but overall the list looks in ripping nick. So much development and improvement in them from last year. I actually think Kara Antonio will remind us why she was one of the best mids in the comp -> personal best in the 2km and finishing 2nd behind Bowers is outstanding. Our senior players are exceptionally good role models.
KAntonio is an excellent player and easily B21 in her own right, but her strongest and most influential skill is her exceptional leadership. She reads and understands the game so well. Outstanding footy brain, and also great motivator. She’s always positioning the younger players and encouraging them, and she gets to the right spots, even if it’s just to block space.
One surprise for the group is no Evie Gooch, unless she opted out herself.

No Excuses FC

Senior List
Sep 6, 2017
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
AFL Club
Fremantle
"It’s a great time to be a Freo supporter and a great time to be working at the club, there is a real buzz around here at the moment."

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure how many got the chop in the media team but they are still doing a great job. Some great articles and galleries of the AFLW players lately.

Based on what I've read, seen and heard so far here are the players I'm now expecting a big 2021 season from:

Laura Pugh - wow, she's put some seriously hard work in to her fitness/body over the past few weeks. Looks a million dollars. Loved watching her at WAFLW, she has some seriously good footy IQ, reads the play as well as anyone. If she is fitter and stronger to go with that IQ then I'd say look out for her impact in 2021.

Ange Stannett - like Pugh, she looks to have been working hard on improving her fitness even further. She had a very good 2020 season negating some very good players and I see her continuing that but being more willing to attack from defence in 2021.

Kara Antonio - if you paid attention to Freo's last couple of games this year you'd know the kind of impact she can make. Think she's been struggling a bit with her injuries holding her back the past couple of seasons but coming second to Bowers at the 2km is a pretty good sign she's in great physical shape heading into 2021. Don't be surprised to see her turn back the clock Mundy style (Rising Star smokey - ha ha).

Roxy Roux - an easy selection because you'd have to be hiding under a rock to not know how talented she is. We've only seen a fraction of what she is capable of. Expecting her to take a big step in 2021 after settling in well during a Covid interrupted first season.

Kiara Bowers - never a surer bet. She looks absolutely ripped. Expect her to impact more offensively as the other mids develop around her.

Aine Tighe - she's just finished her quarantine and will join training tonight. With Flood leaving a spot forward, her fellow country-person could slot in quite nicely whilst sharing the ruck load with Strom. Her size, athleticism and skills will be hard to counter. Hopefully she'll show Lobb how to dominate as a ruck/forward.

Mikayla Morrison - I will not be surprised to see her lined up in Freo's forward line as early as round 1. She is incredibly skilled and dangerous close to goals. As much as Freo are stacked in the front half, she does bring something a bit different to the mix along with Tighe.

Gabby O'Sullivan - best player I watched in the WAFLW this year by a fair margin. She just exudes confidence and makes things happen whenever the ball goes near her. There is something I love about watching players who run rings around opponents using their clean skills and smarts.

As for some others...

Gemma Houghton and Ebony Antonio certainly won't be getting any worse either having both finished top 5 in the 2km. It's possible Ebony could get back to being our most impactful player now that Trent could be confident playing her exclusively as a tall and athletic winger who can push forward and kick goals. Steph Cain also looks in great shape and should inject more speed and dynamism on the outside that was missing a bit this year. Hayley Miller probably deserves to be on the list above - as strange as it is I think her impact on games often goes a bit unnoticed. Thought Mim Strom was excellent in her debut season and I'd back any quality young tall to develop and improve each season far more often than not.

Reckon the biggest issue in 2021 is trying to give everyone deserving an opportunity. Highly likely we are going to have some extremely good talent sitting in the stands next year. Not many retirements on the horizon either so doubt the problem gets any easier in the years ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I don't think there's any excuses for not getting results against GWS, GC and Geelong at home if we see ourselves as premiership contenders. North will be tough but getting them at Freo will help, and WC unless they improve will be a free hit.

I can't tell you what's going to happen with Adelaide and whether they'll be good again, and beyond that our away match-ups will be challenging (Collingwood, Brisbane and Carlton.)

Tough fixture but if we see ourselves as a good team we should still be able to make that top 6.

Ueah but single ladder so there can't be two " first place" teams.

That's true, there's a chance that one conference is much stronger than the other - and if they don't use pure wins and losses then they might start ranking the clubs by committee.

Let's say Freo win by 8 goals for the first six weeks, they could potentially suggest that the Freo conference is weaker so the six Freo wins are worth less than the 6 wins to Collingwood - so Collingwood is ranked #1.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Quite frankly to be dished up that bunch of crap teams at home who have no support base (apart from eagles obviously) is just another insulting kick in the guts to the unbeaten 2020 premiers. Just another piece of Melbourne centric bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back