Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Roar

great article.

Off Broadway media give us the respect.

I glad that the main media keep up the disrespect.

arsesmart

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
great article.

Off Broadway media give us the respect.

I glad that the main media keep up the disrespect.
Liked the article overall. Although I don't really think the gamestyle is much like Richmond's men's gamestyle, other than prioritising forward momentum of the ball.

Freo have a much higher kick to handball ratio than Hardwicks' team and probably favouring longer kicks too wherever possible.

I also think the claim that they're eschewing (strangely satisfying weird word alert) disposal efficiency is a bit of a stretch (although I'd say with the developmental stage the AFLW is at, you get a lot more leeway for clangers as for every clanger you make, a return clanger from the opposition isn't too far away). On Sunday Freo had less disposal etc, yet were more effective, that suggest better disposal efficiency.

ignoramus

Debutant
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I also think the claim that they're eschewing (strangely satisfying weird word alert) disposal efficiency is a bit of a stretch (although I'd say with the developmental stage the AFLW is at, you get a lot more leeway for clangers as for every clanger you make, a return clanger from the opposition isn't too far away). On Sunday Freo had less disposal etc, yet were more effective, that suggest better disposal efficiency.
The commentators made frequent mention of kicking errors, poor disposal, etc., from which a less than keen observer would conclude that the game as a whole was defined by poor kicking efficiency. Most of those comments, however, were made in response to Adelaide errors (in keeping with the higher ratio of talk about Adelaide to talk about Freo throughout the game).

Even so, I've seen comments even on this board suggesting that the Freo side's skills are poor. Personally, outside of kicks that don't go the distance, I reckon the skills have been pretty good. The derby in the wet was a write off, but otherwise uncontested marks have been held and unpressured kicks have hit targets.

WaywardSonSon

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I just wanted to thank ImperialPurple for showing such support and enthusiasm for the women’s team. You have really drawn me in to be a better supporter for the girls, and I suspect you have drawn in some others.

Good work.
Yes indeedy, ImperialPurple now has me even more excited for the women's team's prospects, than the men!

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I just wanted to thank ImperialPurple for showing such support and enthusiasm for the women’s team. You have really drawn me in to be a better supporter for the girls, and I suspect you have drawn in some others.

Good work.
Aw thank you! Really appreciate the comment, and really happy you’ve jumped on board. The girls are awesome, I hope you get to love them as much as I (and a fair few others) do! Get around them peeps! 😍💜

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
hey folks,
does anybody know where I can find an injury list for our team, please? (AFLW of course)
I appreciate any help

WaywardSonSon

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Random post here...A quick scan over a one Sarah Black's LinkedIn profile, reveals that she possesses a degree in the Arts and a diploma in Journalism, but my question to the universe is - "What footballing background does she hold?"
Hmm, the plot thickens! lol

showemhowtorock

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Random post here...A quick scan over a one Sarah Black's LinkedIn profile, reveals that she possesses a degree in the Arts and a diploma in Journalism, but my question to the universe is - "What footballing background does she hold?"
I mean i'm all for an SB pile on but she is very knowledgeable on football and it's pretty clear from her live tweeting that she watches every game which makes her an instant improvement on most of her colleagues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

samFFC

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Unfortunately the standard is set very low from AFL men journalism and commentary. Eddie, Dwayne etc etc etc

Black is just high-profile in these early years of AFLW.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
anybody????
I have only ever seen it mentioned in articles. I believe at the moment it's:
Aine Tighe - ACL
Leah Mascall - ACL
Alex Williams - wrist
Ann McMahon - generally smashed up still
Phil Seth - heard she has an injury, but don't know what or even if it's true.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I have only ever seen it mentioned in articles. I believe at the moment it's:
Aine Tighe - ACL
Leah Mascall - ACL
Alex Williams - wrist
Ann McMahon - generally smashed up still
Phil Seth - heard she has an injury, but don't know what or even if it's true.
thank you, thank you, thank you :)
it's about time the AFL website treated the AFLW section with the respect it is due.
Many of us love the game and want up to date info.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
thank you, thank you, thank you :)
it's about time the AFL website treated the AFLW section with the respect it is due.
Many of us love the game and want up to date info.
You're welcome, and I agree.

I love your signature! We must be the same vintage - that was such an incredible group of players. I remember being right at the front at the 1980 GF and jumping over the fence as soon as the siren went, running across the field to get autographs, give the players pats on the back. Such elation! (Of course I was only 3 at the time... 🤔🤔😆😆)
I was just saying only 5 mins ago, I think I'm going to join South Freo this year. Watch the fellas smash it, and the girls get smashed... :confused:

Last edited:

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WAFLW starts again on the weekend.

It would be so good if the AFLW girls who aren’t getting a game right now could play so they could press their claims for selection.
(Looking out for my buddies here!).

Edit: just read it - they can! 😁😁

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Here's a sad story
1979 when I was living in year 7 in east Fremantle heartland I was there when South lost the gf.
The following year I opted to go to a mate's birthday party instead of the gf.
1981 i was there again :(
1992 again, I saw a loss.
It did come good after that, but I had to wait.
Just like my AFL team (boys version). Hopefully the girls get me an earlier reward.
You're welcome, and I agree.

I love your signature! We must be the same vintage - that was such an incredible group of players. I remember being right at the front at the 1980 GF and jumping over the fence as soon as the siren went, running across the field to get autographs, give the players pats on the back. Such elation! (Of course I was only 3 at the time... )
I was just saying only 5 mins ago, I think I'm going to join South Freo this year. Watch the fellas smash it, and the girls get smashed... :confused:
On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad