Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

eastfreo75

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anybody know the rules about uncontracted players for the AFLW?

If Franklin is out of contract in 2023, does she go into the draft or do we have to trade for her or does she just comes to us?

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
As in after a two year rookie contract?

She would be a trade unless she is delisted. The fact of it is if we trade our first pick for her it is a grand total of one player extra taken before our next pick.

Assuming WCE is below us on the ladder they take the best WA player, the 2nd best WA player and then we take the third and pocket Franklin.

Franklin could have been pick #1 two years earlier too, the draft system is so compromised it doesn't matter.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok another question. I am struggling to follow when it’s a throw-in and when it’s a lasso free. Can someone ploise exploin?
As far as I know it’s when it goes out of bounds off the boot (doesn’t have to be on the full) outside of the 50m arcs then it’s a lasso free kick. The rest of the time normal rules apply.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
As far as I know it’s when it goes out of bounds off the boot (doesn’t have to be on the full) outside of the 50m arcs then it’s a lasso free kick. The rest of the time normal rules apply.
Yes yes! I just realised I worked that out last week!! Between the arcs, last touch off the boot, free kick. Inside 50s, then a throw in (unless OOTF). Man, friggen Swiss cheese brain. Thank you freodog for the reminder! 👍🏽👍🏽

dockerfemme

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes yes! I just realised I worked that out last week!! Between the arcs, last touch off the boot, free kick. Inside 50s, then a throw in (unless OOTF). Man, friggen Swiss cheese brain. Thank you freodog for the reminder! 👍🏽👍🏽
I thought it was also last touch from a handball as well, between the arcs.

Biggie

Born is pride, from isolation
Sep 28, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles AFLW, Subiaco, Wildcats

Lach72

Bam!
Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dale147

Commander in Chief
Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Wow the Eagles look like they can actually football.
Is GC the only non-Vic team they haven’t played? Wherever the game is will suck for whoever is the away team. Suns in Perth in successive weekends, or WC away for 3 weeks in a row. 😖

Just saw Suns are coming back to play the weags next Sunday. Poor buggers.
Think they are staying here in WA until after that game. No charters left Perth aside from the eagles flight to Sydney.

ignoramus

Debutant
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

Aardvark

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2011
Sth Gippsland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Freo AFLW

No Excuses FC

Senior List
Sep 6, 2017
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t like it.
If we don’t play, and beat, the 4x big Melbourne clubs, everyone will always view this premiership as an asterisk.

(yes, I’ve already locked it in)
Agree, especially with the bold part. But I thought that last year too... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Monument Hills

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
I don’t like it.
If we don’t play, and beat, the 4x big Melbourne clubs, everyone will always view this premiership as an asterisk.

(yes, I’ve already locked it in)
in the men's comp you don't have to beat every team, just so long as you get to and win the grand final. Neither do they play all the teams an equal number of times.

Why should it be different in the women's?

(then again all of the men's premierships have an * :moustache: )

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
They made provisions to have two teams come to Perth (with all the restrictions) for the men’s comp, surely they can do that for the women. Quarantine, train together, no contact with outside world outside of game day.
I know they work, but for WA players, employers allowed them time off to go and play away, potentially for 3-4 weeks. Surely Vic employers could do that for the players of two Vic teams.
Let’s use Carlton and Collingwood as examples. Carlton flies in Friday, plays Freo on Saturday. Collingwood flies in Saturday, plays WC Sunday.
The next weekend, Carlton plays WC on Saturday, flies out Saturday night. Collingwood plays Freo on Sunday, flies out Sunday night. Away for 5 business days.
Following weekend(s) Freo and WC do the opposite, play two games away each v Vic teams and same - away for 8 days, get two games in.
Then one double up to finish the season (derby), Vic teams don’t need to as they can play anyone else, and other non-Vic clubs who don’t have any border restrictions in place.

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our fixture already had us playing all of the top four of last season and barely any of the bottom four from last season. It wasn't like we were playing in an even spread competition.

If we get an extra win out of playing an extra bottom four side, so be it. They should already be getting used to the idea that they are playing a prelim at Fremantle oval and if we win that against a side that had to live in a hotel for a week then they are playing a grand final at Freo oval.

Remove this Banner Ad