Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, okay, maybe I'll have to retract that statement. Perhaps my ill-feeling was a product of the AFLW media constantly fawning over her.

She’s next level good (not necessarily alone now, but she just stars week in and week out).

And now we’re seeing the benefit Brisbane’s had playing zero wins team until now. Now we’re talking overrated.

What I enjoy about the women’s games is they always make an effort to hand pass when tackled & the umpires actually correctly adjudicate incorrect disposal most of the time.
Why is it such a mess in the men’s game where you can do almost anything provided the ball spills free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who says Erin Phillips is overrated is wrong. End of. Absolute superstar!

There’s a part of me that is really disappointed that she’s 35 and going to retire before we see this next gen of girls come through.

Weird to think she wasn’t one of the original marquee players; but an out and out gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their percentage drops to 258 I think.

Adelaide's might drop slightly as well despite winning.
Ours is 293, so now we have the highest percentage as well. And over 100% ahead of second placed Collingwood.

And Erin Phillips. Just *ing wow. Stratospherically good.

I've been trying to watch a little bit of other teams this week.

What I love about Freo's game plan is how it holds structure in a way that is still ultra good defensively (least conceded points against atm) - excepting that first goal out the back yesterday. So many teams seem to just flood their back half and make their attack often impotent in the process (needing to slow down for players to work back into space - like our men's team used to).

I think what it also does is allow us to put continual pressure on both the ball carrier and the receiver. We went undefeated last year but at times we got carved up on the outside, That hasn't happened at all in the first four games this season. Obviously our girls are ultra fit but I also think we are being smart applying pressure (disciplined zone to conserve energy) whilst others seem to do the headless chook pressure and burn out after a half (hence us smashing everyone in the 3rd quarter).

So many of the games I've watched this week I've seen a heap of space despite the pressure looking ok. Think it is because there is pressure on ball but not much on the receivers so they get too much time if the ball gets out. Freo close down that space in a heart beat because they are spread out and always know whose turn it is to press up.

The more I see, the more I think we have an excellent coach in Trent Cooper + assistants. Defensively (team wise) it looks almost flawless. Scarily I don't think the forward line has hit its straps fully yet - but they are building.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back