Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2021 Season - FINISHED BUSINESS - We will be back stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the fixture is entirely open at the moment then I would prefer we sit on top of the ladder to hedge against the AFL ending the season, running a quick final again and Freo either missing out or missing out on hosting the game.

I'm not sure how many more games we are playing before finals, or the structure yet of their finals.

Yawn, I just read bullshit like the first sentence in this article and just shake my head in disbelief now days. I'm over getting angry about this vic-centrc hat full of arseholes

Yawn, I just read bullshit like the first sentence in this article and just shake my head in disbelief now days. I'm over getting angry about this vic-centrc hat full of arseholes
Was about to post the same article. Let them think that! Melbourne has to get over the Doggies first.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dogs have them beat, so I guess all hail Collingwood, after their thumping wins over Richmond and Geelong this year they deserve the flag
I just keep my eyes on the prize, and don't read a word of those articles.

I thought the resounding win over Adelaide away from home would finally get us respect but clearly not 😡

Wow the Eagles look like they can actually football.
Is GC the only non-Vic team they haven’t played? Wherever the game is will suck for whoever is the away team. Suns in Perth in successive weekends, or WC away for 3 weeks in a row. 😖

Just saw Suns are coming back to play the weags next Sunday. Poor buggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T
I've been trying to watch a little bit of other teams this week.

What I love about Freo's game plan is how it holds structure in a way that is still ultra good defensively (least conceded points against atm) - excepting that first goal out the back yesterday. So many teams seem to just flood their back half and make their attack often impotent in the process (needing to slow down for players to work back into space - like our men's team used to).

I think what it also does is allow us to put continual pressure on both the ball carrier and the receiver. We went undefeated last year but at times we got carved up on the outside, That hasn't happened at all in the first four games this season. Obviously our girls are ultra fit but I also think we are being smart applying pressure (disciplined zone to conserve energy) whilst others seem to do the headless chook pressure and burn out after a half (hence us smashing everyone in the 3rd quarter).

So many of the games I've watched this week I've seen a heap of space despite the pressure looking ok. Think it is because there is pressure on ball but not much on the receivers so they get too much time if the ball gets out. Freo close down that space in a heart beat because they are spread out and always know whose turn it is to press up.

The more I see, the more I think we have an excellent coach in Trent Cooper + assistants. Defensively (team wise) it looks almost flawless. Scarily I don't think the forward line has hit its straps fully yet - but they are building.

The emergence of Cuthbertson has been the key - potentially emerging as our most important player after Turbo.

I love Gooch, but she has a pretty slow turning circle and isn’t a great leap. Cuthbertson coming in to Full Back (helped by the growing confidence of O’Driscoll and the reliability of Stannett) makes our defence look so much stronger than its ever done.

Having Cuthbertson, Bowers and Houghton down the spine with O’Driscoll,
Miller and Duffy as able deputies sees us set for the next 4-5 years.

Collingwood did well against us last year at Freo oval. They got right on top in the midfield with Lambert and Davey. From memory, it was just stubborn defence and our forwards that took the few chances they had to give us a winning score.

The other narrow escape was vs St Kilda away from home, but I like to think tiredness and complacency against a new team played a part in that.

How we will match up against Carlton Melb and Nth Melb is a bit of an unknown. Not expecting to win them all. Got to have something left for the finals.

Nice work Dave

As in after a two year rookie contract?

She would be a trade unless she is delisted. The fact of it is if we trade our first pick for her it is a grand total of one player extra taken before our next pick.

Assuming WCE is below us on the ladder they take the best WA player, the 2nd best WA player and then we take the third and pocket Franklin.

Franklin could have been pick #1 two years earlier too, the draft system is so compromised it doesn't matter.

As far as I know it’s when it goes out of bounds off the boot (doesn’t have to be on the full) outside of the 50m arcs then it’s a lasso free kick. The rest of the time normal rules apply.
Yes yes! I just realised I worked that out last week!! Between the arcs, last touch off the boot, free kick. Inside 50s, then a throw in (unless OOTF). Man, friggen Swiss cheese brain. Thank you freodog for the reminder! 👍🏽👍🏽

Yes yes! I just realised I worked that out last week!! Between the arcs, last touch off the boot, free kick. Inside 50s, then a throw in (unless OOTF). Man, friggen Swiss cheese brain. Thank you freodog for the reminder! 👍🏽👍🏽
I thought it was also last touch from a handball as well, between the arcs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back