AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

Where will the Suns girls play their home games? Fankhauser Reserve (Southport Sharks) probably makes the most sense. The ground fits around 8k from memory.

I'd like them to consider using multiple grounds up and down the Coast.
Will provide a much better atmosphere than Metricon and might get people local to the various grounds to watch a game and plant a seed in them to be Suns fans.

PS-during my exile I was so pumped about this news.
I didn't think we were much of a chance at all.
Going to be great motivation for the PBC girls SunsBhoy.

I'd like them to consider using multiple grounds up and down the Coast.
Will provide a much better atmosphere than Metricon and might get people local to the various grounds to watch a game and plant a seed in them to be Suns fans.

PS-during my exile I was so pumped about this news.
I didn't think we were much of a chance at all.
Going to be great motivation for the PBC girls SunsBhoy.
Yes but I think transport is an issue with that. At least with Metricon they can do the public transport only stuff.

Whoops your right, if they are playing in the heat then night games make sense so Sharks would make sense, cheaper to run and good for our foundation partner

Split between Southport and Broadbeach I reckon. Give North and South a good chance to go.
Not Metricon, have the atmosphere of a filled up suburban ground will be cool.

Kirra Oval I think could be suitable too.

Last edited:
With the recent news about Kurt Tippett potentially coming home it made me think we should really try and steal netball superstar Gretel Tippett for our inaugural AFLW season. She'll be 26 years old during the 2020 season. She's played for the Diamonds before and is a former professional basketballer so she is obviously very gifted athletically and I think we should chase a born and bred Gold Coaster like her. Plonk her at full forward and she'll be hard to stop at 191cms. Thoughts?

With the recent news about Kurt Tippett potentially coming home it made me think we should really try and steal netball superstar Gretel Tippett for our inaugural AFLW season. She'll be 26 years old during the 2020 season. She's played for the Diamonds before and is a former professional basketballer so she is obviously very gifted athletically and I think we should chase a born and bred Gold Coaster like her. Plonk her at full forward and she'll be hard to stop at 191cms. Thoughts?

Makes sense.. hopefully she’s interested

Prefer her than Kurt

Kurt had his chance to come home and decided on Sydney instead, he can see out his career in the NEAFL as far as I’m concerned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few GC girls ran out for the Brisbane Lions women's team yesterday. They had Leah Kaslar, Jamie Stanton and Arianna Clarke playing - all from Coolangatta.

Just want to ask a few quick questions of the Suns Brothers and Sisters:

Last year I watched a bit of AFLW but this year I’ve lost all enthusiasm for it and haven’t watched any of it (no Suns team being the major reason)

So my questions are:
Do you watch it?
How is your interest level this year compared to last year?

Last year I watched a bit of AFLW but this year I’ve lost all enthusiasm for it and haven’t watched any of it (no Suns team being the major reason)

So my questions are:
Do you watch it?

1) Yes, when I can
2) Down

So my questions are:
Do you watch it?
Yes, I watch it. First 3-4 rounds were quite lame this year - so many errors, constant pile ups but last 3 rounds were significant improvement - always good contest, but kicking improved, one can actually see plan, structures, nice link ups. Lions 1st quarter on Fri was great, some beautiful goal kicks from tough angles, Sexton could learn from them.

So my questions are:
Do you watch it?
I dont watch it and have zero interest in watching it. It isnt a very exciting game. Especially when your team isnt playing.

GIANTSvBrisbane-WinterSeries-HEADER.jpg

The 2018 NAB AFL Women’s competition may be drawing to a close, but the Women’s Football action will continue when the GIANTS take to the field in the new Winter Series beginning in May.

The GIANTS will field two sides – the Northern GIANTS and the Southern GIANTS – in the six-match competition, playing against the Brisbane Lions and the Gold Coast Suns in Sydney and in Queensland.

All teams will select a squad of 30 players made up of AFLW contracted players and locally recruited players, with the GIANTS to hold testing days across New South Wales and the ACT in April.

The AFLW Winter Series serves as an opportunity for NSW and ACT talent to train at an elite level and play alongside and against AFL Women’s players.

With the GIANTS and the Lions both foundation AFLW clubs, the series also serves as a pathway for the Suns’ to grow ahead of their entry in to the national competition in 2020.

The Northern GIANTS will be comprised players from AFL Sydney, AFL Central West Women’s, Black Diamond League, AFL North West NSW, AFL North Coast, while the Southern GIANTS will be based in the ACT with the squad comprised of players from women’s competitions in AFL Canberra, AFL Riverina and AFL Broken Hill.

Expressions of interest are open for coaching and support staff roles for the GIANTS Sydney and Canberra teams. Register your interest below.

Details of talent identification events will be confirmed in the coming days, with participants of previous talent identification events encouraged to attend.

So my questions are:
Do you watch it?
Yeah, I'm just down the road from Princes Park and it has really captured the imagination of the local community, especially long suffering old Fitzroy supporters. The Lions vs Blues match was like a carnival, with kids entertainment, rides, food trucks and all sorts of awesome stuff that simply doesn't happen at suburban grounds anymore and really isn't the same at the MCG or ETIHAD. I'm taking my 6 year old daughter to see the Grand Final next weekend if I can get tickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back