AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Appreciate you take the time to answer me Jen
No worries. I've been fairly into AFLW this season, even if the pies got the wooden spoon. The girls are young and inexperienced. We had players stolen or left so had to rebuild. Not unlikely the suns boys, so its hard to compete against experience competition.

But if you get some experienced girls who have been with other teams, all the more better, because they have that experience in the top level.

Here are some highlights.

https://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2019-04-09/aflw-groveslittle-highlights

Any particular reason Sarah?
I've always had a soft spot for the suns since their induction into the league. I was 7 and having a second team was all the range so I selected the suns as I do love a good underdog. (Similar to my reasons for supporting AFC Wimbledon and The Melbourne Renegades. 2 teams who I have a lot of passion for but have never had tons of success) I don't know, I've loved what the Gold Coast guys have done this season and I've loved the AFLW since it's creation. But I've never really had a team to follow and have wanted one for a while. I went to almost all the VFLW Hawks games and seeing the girls win the grand final live was amazing.

I guess I just really want an AFLW team and I've always liked the Suns.

I've always had a soft spot for the suns since their induction into the league. I was 7 and having a second team was all the range so I selected the suns as I do love a good underdog. (Similar to my reasons for supporting AFC Wimbledon and The Melbourne Renegades. 2 teams who I have a lot of passion for but have never had tons of success) I don't know, I've loved what the Gold Coast guys have done this season and I've loved the AFLW since it's creation. But I've never really had a team to follow and have wanted one for a while. I went to almost all the VFLW Hawks games and seeing the girls win the grand final live was amazing.

I guess I just really want an AFLW team and I've always liked the Suns.
I'm surprised the hawks don't have an AFLW team yet. When st kilda/north gets one first.. bizarre.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I don’t watch AFLW as there’s no Suns team.
I will next season.
Are any of these signings any good?

Stanton is very good.
Not elite (yet), but an A grade mid.
Was 2nd in the B&F for the Lions in 2018.

Played with the Kangas this year, but grew up on the Gold Coast (big tick for Boddsy) and has been linked to the Suns for a while.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
i'll give it a shot, my wife only watched the odd game because she thought certain players were HOT. I'll be interested to see if she watches the womens and can appreciate the game for what it is and be inspired.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Or Jacqui Yorston.
A teenager who can really play.
A super signing for the Suns, a bad loss for the Lions. Assume we are going to pay her at a higher level than the Lions could.

Hopefully the Qld afl women pipeline can support the two clubs.
Looking grim for the Lions at the moment. The Suns were always going to take some Lions players, but losing more to other states is not good for them.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-04-15/kaslar-departs-lions

2019 Brisbane Lions AFLW Captain Leah Kaslar has cited work and lifestyle reasons for her decision to play for expansion club Gold Coast Suns in 2020.

Coach Craig Starcevich gave his blessing.

“Unfortunately, we have lost her to the expansion club, the Gold Coast Suns, so that’s sad for us but we fully understand Leah’s situation where she’s got a very hectic work life/schedule at the moment with her job,” he told lions.com.au.

“She travels up the highway to come and train with us three to four times a week which is not great for her body at the moment.

“While it’s sad for us, with our blessing, she joins an expansion club, she’s been an amazing ambassador for female footy in Queensland now for many, many years.”

Vice-Captain Sam Virgo has also advised the club that she will pursue an offer with the Suns.

Virgo has been with the Lions since the team’s inception but missed most of the 2018 season due to rupturing her ACL. During this time the Lions offered her a role as Team Manager of the AFLW side, while their medical team provided full support.

Have they reported that? Haven't seen it on the social media page. Is it confirmed?
Lions' social media pages have confirmed that Kaslar has departed. She lives near Coolangatta so that was always likely to happen

Lions' social media pages have confirmed that Kaslar has departed. She lives near Coolangatta so that was always likely to happen
Yeah. Not a good look when they are the captain (like the bulldogs situation) but at least she is basically heading home, so not totally unexpected.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Or Jacqui Yorston.
A super signing for the Suns, a bad loss for the Lions. Assume we are going to pay her at a higher level than the Lions could.

Looking grim for the Lions at the moment. The Suns were always going to take some Lions players, but losing more to other states is not good for them.

There’s a video on the club site talking about the coach giving her belief and was why she signed.. good little video worth a watch

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Or Jacqui Yorston.

Very, very doubtful.

I said halfway through our first season that we better win a cup in our first two years, because once the Suns entered the competition, we're not likely to even make finals for the best part of 6 to 10 years.

QLD can produce a couple of top talents each year, but that's not even enough to help regenerate one team, let alone support two teams.

I'm assuming from here on out that Gold Coast will draft from it's academy, and Brisbane will draft from our academy, and we'll both try and pick up an interstate player where possible. Where our picks fall in the draft will mean very, very little to either team, unless they're a trade chip for an interstate player, if we're drafting from our own academies.

It will be interesting if the AFL say that the QLD teams can draft from each others academies though.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
The fact that we (and other expansion clubs) can essentially gut clubs like the Lions for their star players is a complete and utter farce. I'm behind this team don't get me wrong, but the way it's been set up just feels bad. Yorston is a Brisbane Academy player for heavens sake. She should be exempt from the poaching rules.

I can understand people wanting to come home like Stanton. Bella makes sense as well given she came straight through our Academy pathway since she was a kid, but most of the others are bizarre and doesn't sit very well with me.

Back