AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately part of the rules, that Brisbane must part with 8 players for the suns.

But do the players have a choice, though? Like if they didn't want to leave, did they have to?
I'm just saying it shouldn't be the rules. At least there should be some restrictions on that.

Yeah, they don't have to leave. But we're just paying them more money.

The fact that we (and other expansion clubs) can essentially gut clubs like the Lions for their star players is a complete and utter farce. I'm behind this team don't get me wrong, but the way it's been set up just feels bad. Yorston is a Brisbane Academy player for heavens sake. She should be exempt from the poaching rules.

I can understand people wanting to come home like Stanton. Bella makes sense as well given she came straight through our Academy pathway since she was a kid, but most of the others are bizarre and doesn't sit very well with me.
Yorston said that David Lake was a big reason why she made the move

Unfortunately for supporters it’s a bit of a mercenary league at this stage and with all these new teams coming in they have more money to throw at players. It’s understandable that the girls are looking for the biggest pay day for a part-time seasonal job but it good for supporters.

They have gone way too quick with expansion and the quality will take a backwards step this year. At least we have our academy which has been developing girls for a few years now ready for this.

And the signing that we heard about yesterday.

^ Says she has supported the suns for a long time, also coached the first 3 signings that was announced a few months back in under 18's, now have a chance to play with them.

For me she was the best Lions player. I feel for them.

Jeez, I feel dirty with all these players we're taking from Brisbane.

I mean we've lost a glut of players on the men's side from ages but to do it to the only other local side feels a bit wrong. Robbing Peter to pay Paul and now we're both poor.

Jeez, I feel dirty with all these players we're taking from Brisbane.

I mean we've lost a glut of players on the men's side from ages but to do it to the only other local side feels a bit wrong. Robbing Peter to pay Paul and now we're both poor.

I may be wrong here but I thought our guest poster from the Lions, Briztoon, posted that only Brisbane and Freo had to allow 8 players go to the expansion sides, while all the others only had to allow 4. As well as that, both Brisbane and Freo can have up to 4 players leave thru trades...

If true, that seems a terribly lopsided way of getting players to the new clubs....

It's not about how many players you can recruit, it's about how many players other teams can lose. The AFL has said the Vic, SA and NSW teams can lose a maximum of 4 players combined to the new expansion clubs. But Fremantle and Brisbane can lose 8 players to expansion teams. We've already lost Sabrina Fredrick-Taub (SFT) to Richmond. So 1 does and 7 to go.

So you can't sign half a dozen players from one team, unless it's Brisbane.

Next is player contracts. They don't get paid enough to move states unless you line up a job for them. SFT (from WA) and Lauren Arnell (from Vic), who we picked up from Carlton, were both employed by AFLQ up here. We've had others working for the club or jobs we lined up. We still have a couple of TAS and WA girls on our list, so you have to believe southern and western clubs will be coming for them.

The top two players of each team will earn about $25,000 for the season, and then $10,000 for high profile players, and $5,000 for everyone else. That's $5,000 for an eight-week preseason and eight-week season. The players will train about nine hours per week, plus pre-season. This pay scale is set by the AFL, not the clubs.

Next is the draft. Because the pay is cr@p, the girls nominate what state they want to get drafted to. So we effectively can't draft girls from interstate, unless they nominate QLD. So Gold Coast will draft from their academy and Brisbane will draft from our academy from here on out, and both teams will be bottom of the ladder for the next 5 years at least.

I may be wrong here but I thought our guest poster from the Lions, Briztoon, posted that only Brisbane and Freo had to allow 8 players go to the expansion sides, while all the others only had to allow 4. As well as that, both Brisbane and Freo can have up to 4 players leave thru trades...

If true, that seems a terribly lopsided way of getting players to the new clubs....
The losing 4 other players in trades was news to us yesterday as that really hurts.

So far we're losing Sabrina Fredrick-Traub to Richmond, Kate McCarthy to St Kilda, Dowrick most likely back to WA, and Nat Exon is heading to Victoria, but we just don't know to who yet.

It's not just the loses to the Suns. It was losing 4 of our top 8 girls to North Melbourne last year, and now losing so many again this year.

We understand the rationale behind it, and losing the Gold Coast academy girls was to be expected, but a lot of our fans were also emotionally invested in our AFLW team, especially from the first two years when we were tipped to finish bottom the first year, and then tipped to miss finals in the second year.

We were never a strong team, and a lot of our girls were triers and hard workers rather than being skilled players, so we very much over achieved in the first two years. That was a big reason for a lot of our fans really investing in the team, because we sort of beat the odds.

We knew this year we were going to struggle because the girls we lost to North were our most skilful, and now with the loss of SFT, Kasler and Exon we really only have maybe 2 or 3 genuinely skilled mature girls in the team. Dowrick and Arianna Clarke were our two top young players and we're set to lose them both as well. Just waiting on Clarke to say she's heading to your lot.

We're going to be dependent on our academy from here on out, and we just don't produce enough quality girls through our academy to top up our senior team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately part of the rules, that Brisbane must part with 8 players for the suns.

But do the players have a choice, though? Like if they didn't want to leave, did they have to?

Yes totally their choice most are on 1 year contracts although I think that’s changed now they can offer longer term

Anyone that’s been here long term on the GC following various team sports would never feel any sympathy for Brisbane having their players be taken to come to the GC especially any that are coming home. Good on the Beautiful Girls for coming to play for the Beautiful Club of the Beautiful City.
They are the “Triple Bs”.

Exciting to see so many from our academy zone joining us:

Gold Coast
Tori Goves-Little
Charlotte Hammans
Jamie Stanton

Cairns
Tiarna Ernst
Leah Kaslar
Kitara Whap-Farrar

Brisbane
Paige Parker
Emma Pittman
Sam Virgo
Jacqui Yorston

Mackay
Lauren Bella

Townsville
Ellie Hampson

Anyone that’s been here long term on the GC following various team sports would never feel any sympathy for Brisbane having their players be taken to come to the GC especially any that are coming home. Good on the Beautiful Girls for coming to play for the Beautiful Club of the Beautiful City.
They are the “Triple Bs”.
So they aren't bedwetters?

Yes totally their choice most are on 1 year contracts although I think that’s changed now they can offer longer term
Yup. Two year contacts are now available. Much better IMO. Hopefully once expansion finishes (think only 4 more, whenever they come in) the competition can settle.

Surely Teams recruiting from the suns academy especially last year knew when the suns team came in 2020 that most players would return home...

Having to still work a full time job as well as train ect and get paid a little amount living around/with friends/family would help majorly so wouldn’t really say bed wetting!

Surely Teams recruiting from the suns academy especially last year knew when the suns team came in 2020 that most players would return home...

Having to still work a full time job as well as train ect and get paid a little amount living around/with friends/family would help majorly so wouldn’t really say bed wetting!
There's been some others that have come from other teams that have signed. Not saying i'm against it. Obviously they have to build a team but i think it's rich saying on one hand a player is a bedwetter for going home then when a player comes here they are lauded for returning home. Bods does the same with AFL. Prestia is a bedwetter but Weller is good for returning to 'home'. I assume some of our draftees will leave when more teams are introduced ect.

There's been some others that have come from other teams that have signed. Not saying i'm against it. Obviously they have to build a team but i think it's rich saying on one hand a player is a bedwetter for going home then when a player comes here they are lauded for returning home. Bods does the same with AFL. Prestia is a bedwetter but Weller is good for returning to 'home'. I assume some of our draftees will leave when more teams are introduced ect.

I think the only one that has come from another team is from the western bulldogs who is a doctor in Brisbane but like my previous post a lot of these aflw players will make decisions based on their off the field circumstances hence Brennan going to Richmond due to her puma deal

Don’t quote me 100% but I’m pretty sure Mr bods was one of wellers harsher critics when he first was traded to us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back