AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Good to see more girls from our academy being named in the national academy for next year. Annise Bradfield, Maddison Levi and Teagan Levi are three selected from the Gold Coast. Daisy D'Arcy comes from Townsville and Stephanie Williams is from the NT; both are also a part of our academy program.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sam Stosur really should retire from Tennis and play in the Back Pocket for the Suns.
Helensvale High student and spent some time living in Adelaide so it's likely she was exposed to football at some point. I feel her athleticism would translate well into the AFLW in the same way Erin Phillips' ability did. Let's bring her home!

Disappointing result for our Fed Cup team, though.

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat
Jade Pregelj I played junior footy against her she played for the Logan Cobras I played for the Springwood Pumas.
Under 12 Grand final in our division back in 2003 Springwood vs Logan this was when she was still playing on the boys team she won the best on ground award. 2006 is when she went to the women’s league She won Five premierships with Logan in the women’s league and was a back to back best and fairest winner This is the same team Katie Brennan and Aasta O'Connor played for.

The Suns got a good pick with Jade she is a really good player I was wondering why I hadn’t seen her in the AFLW yet than read in this article she took a few years off the came back to the game.

Last edited:

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
9CC3B59B-C8A2-4022-92FC-3DF22D0D8EED.jpeg

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Does anyone know whether the Suns AFLW matches will be on free to air tv in 2020? Or maybe on youtube, like the NEAFL is?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Not long now until we make our AFLW debut! We play GWS in Blacktown and they were a mid-ladder team last year so I think we have a really good shot to win our first match. Are there any preseason or practice games in the lead up in round 1?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Serene Watson seems like a bit of a larrikin. She's a Helensvale High product and was drafted with the 18th pick in last year's draft so fingers crossed she can become a local superstar for us!

Watson, Dee Heslop and Connor Budarick are the Helensvale trio that joined us at the end of last year.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Not long now until we make our AFLW debut! We play GWS in Blacktown and they were a mid-ladder team last year so I think we have a really good shot to win our first match. Are there any preseason or practice games in the lead up in round 1?

There is always a full round of practice matches 2 weekends before (Jan 24-27) and clubs will most likely be playing internal trials or less formal matches against other AFLW clubs the weekend before that (Jan 17-20).

Unfortunately the AFLW and clubs seem to be very low key in announcing this stuff, and anything relating to injuries, relative to similar announcements for their men's teams. Your best bet would be to ask the club on social media, I have tweeted Sarah Black and Ant Wingard last night to see if they know anything.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Soon-to-be-famous five: The quintet of Suns set to take AFLW by storm
KASLAR, Ernst, Stanton, Virgo. We all know the big names that will don the red and gold for the Gold Coast Sun’s inaugural AFLW season but what about the up and comers? As the club prepares to make it’s league debut, we look at five of the brightest, uncapped young stars set to take the competition by storm. They may not be household names just yet, but these soon to be famous five have what it takes to match it with their seniors.

Kalinda Howarth: The crafty forward booted 31 majors for the season, helping Bond University to a QAFLW Grand Final and taking out the league’s goalkicking award. Sublime skills and game sense.

Serene Watson: A dual-All Australian, Watson starred when representing Queensland at the AFLW Under 18 National Championships this year, proving reliable in defence to repel opposition attacks and rebound. Watson has been in the Suns Academy since the age of 15. She represented the SUNS in both the 2018 and 2019 Winter Series’ where she looked at home in defence.

Ellie Hampson: Selected in the AFLW Under 18 All Australian side at half back but can perform just as impressively at the coal face. Was named Queensland’s most valuable player after averaging 18.5 disposals across the five games, including a game-high 24 disposals against Victoria Metro in the second game on the Gold Coast. Also named Sun’s Academy Player of the Year.

Kitara Whap-Farrar: Named at full back in the 2019 AFLW Under 18 All Australian side. Strung together five impressive performances playing mainly as a rebounding defender and tough midfielder.

Maddy Roberts: A high possession ball winner who prides herself on her ability to get to more contests than her rivals. Secured selection in the QAFLW 2018 Team of the Year and represented the Suns in the winter series. Roberts has played with the Queensland U23 side in previous years and has also been a part of the Brisbane Lions train-on squad and knows what it takes to crack the next level.

So the writers at the GC Bulletin seem to think Kalinda Howarth, Serene Watson, Ellie Hampson, Kitara Whap-Farrar and Maddy Roberts are going to be "household names" for us in the near future. I didn't realise so many of them were All-Australians. Then you add in established stars like Leah Kaslar, Tiarna Ernst, Jamie Stanton and Sam Virgo. It certainly looks like we've got a strong team in 2020!

Added bonus that all of these girls are Queenslanders: Kalinda Howarth (Gold Coast), Serene Watson (Gold Coast), Maddy Roberts (Gold Coast), Jamie Stanton (Gold Coast), Sam Virgo (Brisbane), Kitara Whap-Farrar (Cairns), Leah Kaslar (Cairns), Tiarna Ernst (Cairns), Ellie Hampson (Townsville).

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Soon-to-be-famous five: The quintet of Suns set to take AFLW by storm

So the writers at the GC Bulletin seem to think Kalinda Howarth, Serene Watson, Ellie Hampson, Kitara Whap-Farrar and Maddy Roberts are going to be "household names" for us in the near future. I didn't realise so many of them were All-Australians. Then you add in established stars like Leah Kaslar, Tiarna Ernst, Jamie Stanton and Sam Virgo. It certainly looks like we've got a strong team in 2020!

Added bonus that all of these girls are Queenslanders: Kalinda Howarth (Gold Coast), Serene Watson (Gold Coast), Maddy Roberts (Gold Coast), Jamie Stanton (Gold Coast), Sam Virgo (Brisbane), Kitara Whap-Farrar (Cairns), Leah Kaslar (Cairns), Tiarna Ernst (Cairns), Ellie Hampson (Townsville).

Maddy Roberts and Lauren Ahrens are Tweed Coast-NSW. I like to see Tweed/Northern Rivers be recognised in what they provide for our sports teams.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Maddy Roberts and Lauren Ahrens are Tweed Coast-NSW. I like to see Tweed/Northern Rivers be recognised in what they provide for our sports teams.
Ahrens in particular is an interesting one because she went to PBC and had no intention of playing football until she relocated to Melbourne for her university studies. Anyway, it's certainly nice to see the Tweed Coast represented in our team. I've always felt the Tweed is a part of the Gold Coast, even though it's in a separate state. Georgia Breward is probably the player on our list that comes from the most southern part of the Northern Rivers region with her hometown being Lawrence, NSW.

I think Jesse Joyce is the only male player on our list that comes from the Tweed region.

Back