AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about first year clubs. But lots of pre existing were able to sign players on 2 year contracts, usually it was 1. But for a new club, I am not sure. But I'm not concerned about her.

she came 4th.

Very surprising tonight.

How does a player in her third season of football win a 'Rising Star' award

Also, a player who wins the Coaches MVP and Players MVP only polls 4 votes (Garner)

Very surprising tonight.

How does a player in her third season of football win a 'Rising Star' award

Also, a player who wins the Coaches MVP and Players MVP only polls 4 votes (Garner)
I guess it depends how many games she had played prior to this year. Its under a certain amount or/and her age. I don't know the details. I should look into that lol

Its strange, but unfortunately umpires have a different view of things than coaches/their peers.

No way should Jamie Lambert have been 7th in the BnF. Maybe I'm biast, but she's top 3-5 in the league.

I guess it depends how many games she had played prior to this year. Its under a certain amount or/and her age. I don't know the details. I should look into that lol

Its strange, but unfortunately umpires have a different view of things than coaches/their peers.

No way should Jamie Lambert have been 7th in the BnF. Maybe I'm biast, but she's top 3-5 in the league.
yeah her too. I was expecting more votes from her

yeah her too. I was expecting more votes from her
Yup, especially since she very nearly won the coaches award, and even in the MVP, think she came 3rd. But considering this is like the brownlow, we know those that should have gotten votes don't, umpires have a different view.

And Serene hopes Prespakis will join her on GC.
Yes, she talked about it in her interview during preseason I believe, within 1-2 years.
What an exciting prospect! Let's get her up here and let her be a part of history in bringing the Gold Coast its first national sports league premiership. Don't forget, we've made finals every season we've been in the AFLW ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an exciting prospect! Let's get her up here and let her be a part of history in bringing the Gold Coast its first national sports league premiership. Don't forget, we've made finals every season we've been in the AFLW ;)
While Prespakis hopes to eventually live in the same state as Watson, the latter wants to take it one step further.

“In two years, we’ll try very hard to get her away from Carlton.”

Can anyone read this?
BLAME COVID-19 boarder closures at your own risk, but the Victorian footy bubble is alive and well.
Frequently criticised, and often bleedingly obvious, it’s the subtle undertone of bias that coats footy’s capital of Melbourne.

Yes Victoria is home to the majority of AFL and AFLW teams and yes AFL House is located in the CBD’s Docklands but the ‘A’ in AFL stands for Australian.

At times you wouldn’t know it.

As the new league on the block, the AFLW has pretty well managed to escape the clasp of Victorian influence in its first four years.

But when the AFLW All-Australian team was named last week, I couldn’t help but cast my eyes over the selection panel.

Now the residential address of panel members doesn’t mean selectors immediately lean to players from within their jurisdiction but when constructing a panel of eight, is it that hard to have one or two interstate judges?

All eight selectors have extensive footy experience and a well-developed argument for their seat at the table but it is concerning that the AFLW couldn’t find room for at least one person with a different viewpoint.

It is a national competition after all and I do wonder if any one of those panel members could confidently say they watched every single minute of every single Suns and Lions game this season.

Looking at the squad and final team itself, I don’t envy the position of the selection panel and I’m of the view they did a pretty good job (although Suns defender Jade Pregelj and Fremantle sharp shooter Sabreena Duffy absolutely robbed).

But for the sake of inclusion and diversity, I vehemently believe we should extend the invitation beyond Victorian boarders.

Kalinda Howarth on Sunday night after being surprised with news she was a 2020 AFLW All-Australian. Supplied.
Out of the ten person AFL All-Australian selection committee, three members originate from or have strong ties to additional states including Western Australia, South Australia and Queensland.

And if COVID-19 has taught us anything, it’s that people from all around the world, let alone within the same country, can connect with each other and have a conversation with ease.

So come 2021, I’m calling on the AFLW to look beyond the obvious and do what is only fair.

The final squad will still be just as strong, but I dare say it will be a better reflection of what is set to be another cracking season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back