AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently it is Alison Drennan from the Saints to GC and Charlotte Hammans to Carlton

From what I saw of Drennan last year she was pretty classy through the middle for the Saints. Not a move I'd have been expecting considering she was a Southern Saint B&F before St Kilda made their debut in 2020.

Never heard of her. But that sucks, did Charlotte ever play a game?
Everyone wants to go to carlton this trade period it seems haha

AlisonDrennan
The return of Ali Drennan to RSEA Park ahead of Season 2020 served as a massive boost to the red, white and black’s young brigade.

After spending a season with North Melbourne in 2019, the Southern Saints best-and-fairest winner brought her experience back home to Moorabbin to form part of the side’s leadership group.
A skilled and rangy inside midfielder, Drennan made her debut for St Kilda in Round 2 and went on to hold her spot for the rest of the year.
The former college basketballer and Kettlebell champion played a pivotal hand in Round 4 against Fremantle (17 disposals, four tackles) and was just as strong on the inside against Melbourne (15 disposals) to gift St Kilda its maiden triumph.
The seamless connection between Drennan and Rhi Watt was a highlight through the midfield, with their eye-catching seasons at the Southern Saints transferring directly into the elite level of competition.

It's a bit sad to see two local girls getting traded but I think this is going to become a common occurrence each year for us given the strength of local football on the Gold Coast/in Queensland. I have to remind myself this isn't the AFL where talented Queenslanders are few and far between. We happen to be based in arguably the second strongest state in the nation for female footy so of course we are going to lose locals along the way.

Obviously there's a bit of sentiment there with Charlotte as well because she was one of our three inaugural signings (Hampson and Farrar are the other two and are still with us) and Charlotte was also a foundation member of a our club as well as a Burleigh junior. Unfortunately I don't think she was really up to the standard this year and a move to a different club may actually be the best thing for her career. Taylor on the other hand will probably remain on the Gold Coast and will just travel to Brisbane to play so that's probably a pretty positive outcome for a player looking for more opportunities. I wish Charlotte and Taylor all the best.

I think it's fair to say our academy draftees this year (Annise Bradfield and Madison Levi) will provide just as much, if not more, than the two girls we just traded. I also think Alison Drennan will provide us with a much needed mature body through the midfield and that support should really help our best player Jamie Stanton. Positive day for our women's team in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back