AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit sad to see two local girls getting traded but I think this is going to become a common occurrence each year for us given the strength of local football on the Gold Coast/in Queensland. I have to remind myself this isn't the AFL where talented Queenslanders are few and far between. We happen to be based in arguably the second strongest state in the nation for female footy so of course we are going to lose locals along the way.

Obviously there's a bit of sentiment there with Charlotte as well because she was one of our three inaugural signings (Hampson and Farrar are the other two and are still with us) and Charlotte was also a foundation member of a our club as well as a Burleigh junior. Unfortunately I don't think she was really up to the standard this year and a move to a different club may actually be the best thing for her career. Taylor on the other hand will probably remain on the Gold Coast and will just travel to Brisbane to play so that's probably a pretty positive outcome for a player looking for more opportunities. I wish Charlotte and Taylor all the best.

I think it's fair to say our academy draftees this year (Annise Bradfield and Madison Levi) will provide just as much, if not more, than the two girls we just traded. I also think Alison Drennan will provide us with a much needed mature body through the midfield and that support should really help our best player Jamie Stanton. Positive day for our women's team in my opinion.
The thing is that they weren’t breaking into the team so moved. If they were in our best side then there might be a bit of annoyance there but adding Drennan is going to be an awesome boost to our mids. Whilst she isn’t one of notable marquee players, she still is a pretty good player and will boost our team no doubt about it...

Good little story this.

And in the dying stages of the 2020 AFLW trade period, unbeknown to the 29-year-old, her wish came true and she was traded to the Suns in exchange for pick 24.

“I was waiting for all the paperwork to go through and I was glued to my desk so I decided to chuck my phone on airplane mode and go for a run but I came back to around 20 messages which I’ll deal with later,” she said.

“The trade has been in motion for about a week and it was starting to get to crunch time and I was getting nervous the two clubs weren’t going to come with something that would work for both.

“I started getting really stressed because once I decided I wanted to go to the Gold Coast, that was it.

“I wasn’t thinking about it (a trade) at first when everything happened with COVID but when trade period came up, I was aware I could trade to the Suns so I started working on it.”

Although the trade itself was rushed, Drennan’s move to the Gold Coast has actually been two years in the making.

In 2018, Drennan and her husband Jason along with family flew to the Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games where Metricon Stadium, as well as the Coast’s relaxed lifestyle, made a big impression.

“My husband and I looked at each other and just said ‘we’re living here one day,’” she said.

“He’s from California and it reminds us both of his home.

“I spoke to Lakey (Suns coach David Lake) as well and he was an absolute champion.

“He’s a huge people person and was telling me stories about his family straight off the bat and was such a genuine guy.”
And while her focus remained on her own club, Drennan couldn’t ignore the talk out of Queensland.

“As a new club, no one expects you to keep winning games and each week they were turning heads and causing upsets so I started watching their games during the week and loved the way they play with their tackle intensity and heart,” she said.

“My goal is to see how good a player I can because I haven’t grown up with football so my improvement each season has been massive but now I want to push myself even more.”

A personal trainer by trade, Drennan hopes to move to the Gold Coast from Melbourne as soon as possible to kickstart her new career and escape Melbourne’s lockdown

Gold Coast has delisted five players as part of a list lodgement for the AFLW Sign & Trade period.

Tayla Thorn, Georgia Breward, Kitara Whap-Farrar, Lexi Hamilton and Maddy Roberts have been advised they would not be offered contracts for the 2021 AFLW season.

Maddy Roberts has decided to step away as she pursues a new career with NSW Fire & Rescue.

Gold Coast has delisted five players as part of a list lodgement for the AFLW Sign & Trade period.

Tayla Thorn, Georgia Breward, Kitara Whap-Farrar, Lexi Hamilton and Maddy Roberts have been advised they would not be offered contracts for the 2021 AFLW season.

Maddy Roberts has decided to step away as she pursues a new career with NSW Fire & Rescue.

Very disappointing but this day comes every season. It’s a shame we never got to see Kitara play- was really looking forward to seeing her out there!

Monday 17th August (next week)- Restricted Free Agent signing period closes 2pm

Friday 21st August (next week)- Delisted Free Agent period closes 2pm

Very disappointing but this day comes every season. It’s a shame we never got to see Kitara play- was really looking forward to seeing her out there!
Yeah, its always sad when you have to delist players, but thats footy. You need list spots available.

I actually thought Taylor thorn was quite good in most of the games I watched.
Was surprised when she was dropped and now delisted.

Live stream below to tomorrow's QAFLW game involving Bond University. Most of our girls play for Bond Uni so it might be worth a watch. I feel like it's also worth mentioning that Bond and Cooly are 1st and 2nd on the QAFLW ladder at the moment. The strength of the local GC women's footy teams won't please the higher ups in Brisbane and I think we'll see Southport enter the QAFLW next year in an attempt to dilute Bond and Coolangatta's depth. Southport are on top of the QFAW Div 1 ladder at the moment by the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the chances of getting Prespakis to The Suns?......

She and Serene Watson have been a couple for nearly 2 yrs now........maybe, just maybe....;)
It was probably never a chance to begin with, but she's just re-signed with the Blues. :huh:

If anyone is inclined it seems a lot of our aflw players wiki pages are woefully out of date.

^ Yeah she is now contracted for 2 years.

GOLD COAST SUNS
TRADES

– Traded Charlotte Hammans to Carlton for their fourth-round selection (currently 56).

– Received Alison Drennan from St Kilda in exchange for pick 24

– Traded ruck-forward Taylor Smith and picks 37 and 51 in exchange for Brisbane’s No. 24 selection

IN: Alison Drennan

OUT: Charlotte Hammans (traded), Taylor Smith (traded), Maddy Roberts (career change)

DELISTED: Tayla Thorn, Georgia Breward, Kitara Whap-Farrar, Lexi Hamilton (delisted)

DRAFT PICKS: 7, 23, 56

CURRENT 2021 SQUAD: Alison Drennan, Paige Parker, Lauren Bella, Tori Groves-Little, Jordann Hickey, Jacqui Yorston, Lauren Ahrens, Sally Riley, Emma Pittman, Leah Kaslar, Molly Ritson, Serene Watson, Brittany Perry, Jamie Stanton, Tiarna Ernst, Jasmyn Hewett, Ellie Hampson, Sam Virgo, Kalinda Howarth, Hannah Dunn, Dee Heslop, Kate Surman, Cheyenne Hammond, Jade Predelj

Lauren Bella, Paige Parker, Tori Groves-Little, Jordann Hickey, Sally Riley, Emma Pittman, Leah Kaslar, Jame Stanton, Jasmyn Hewett, Sam Virgo all not included in the mass signings today. Some BIG names there headlined by our co-captains, and our club champion! Hopefully they are still working out their terms fingers crossed

Lauren Bella, Paige Parker, Tori Groves-Little, Jordann Hickey, Sally Riley, Emma Pittman, Leah Kaslar, Jame Stanton, Jasmyn Hewett, Sam Virgo all not included in the mass signings today. Some BIG names there headlined by our co-captains, and our club champion! Hopefully they are still working out their terms fingers crossed
Lauren is on a 2 year deal, I assume some of the bigger names are the same

As of last year, clubs have been able to sign players on 2 year contracts. Just a matter of who is on them, and who is on 1 year. Some of these players could have gotten 2 years and we just dont know about it.

Cool to see the Vale girls sticking together. I think the '19 Helensvale Quartet (Budarick, Howarth, Heslop and Watson) will all be at our club for a long time and will heavily influence games for both our men's and women's teams.

Quite possibly a more fascinating story is coming later this year with one of our likely draftees Annise Bradfield. Her HPE schoolteacher and AFL excellence coach at Southport High was none other than our current best and fairest winner Jamie Stanton! What a story that will be when they run out onto the field together. Very much a master and apprentice situation. Then we have the Levi sisters in Maddison (this year) and Teagan (next year) coming as well so there's plenty of interesting stories coming up for the girls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back