Podcast AFLW Geelong K ROCK FOOTBALL PODCAST 2022!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s AFLW time and it’s not just the Cats that are gearing up for another great season, K ROCK FOOTBALL is proud to present the KROCK AFLW podcast for season 2022.

This year featuring KROCK’s number 1 caller and chief football doyen Tom King and joining him will be Geelong star Renee Garing .
A new episode will drop each week every Wednesday so make sure watch this thread, subscribe to the Podcast and you questions in

Go Catters

Last edited:

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
It’s AFLW time and it’s not just the Cats that are gearing up for another great season, K ROCK FOOTBALL is proud to present the KROCK AFLW podcast for season 2022.

This year featuring KROCK’s number 1 caller and chief football doyen Tom King and joining him will be Geelong star Renee Garing .
A new episode will drop each week every Wednesday so make sure watch this thread, subscribe to the Podcast and you questions in

Go Catters

Thanks, Daz for the warm welcome.

The aim is to record around 4pm every Wednesday.

Happy to take your questions - please be mindful Renee won't be able to answer everything as she maintains a role with the club.

Fire away for today.

Kingy

Welcome back Kingy and Renee!

How is Liv Barber going with her rehab and will she make games this season do you think?

Also, what got a bigger emphasis in thr off-season and preseason training. Was it fitness or skills… and I ask because having watched the game against North it was easy to see both had lifted from last year. Great to see.
Go Catters

By know it'd be clear to all that covid would likely have an impact during the season, and we saw in week one that there were key players missing due to the leagues covid protocols

How much planning or preparation is given to the prospect of players potentially being unavailable at different points of the season, and also in terms of the prospect of matches being postponed or worse case scenario being cancelled?

And what options are available to the teams should their match be postponed in any particular week - would an additional training session or an intra-club match be organised rather than just an extended break between games?

Awesome job there Kingy and Renee!

Just missed out on the deadline for questions for this week's podcast, but it's never too early for questions for next week's edition....

1. What are the main differences in the coaching styles of Paul Hood and Daniel Lowther?
2. How have Chloe Scheer and Chantel Emondson fit into the side, and did they provide any insights into how Adelaide and Melbourne respectively go about things?
3. How has Rachel Kearns settled in down in Geelong after travelling half way around the world, and how impressed have the coaching staff been at her ability to adapt from gaelic football to AFLW so quickly?

Just a reminder that we are recording this week's edition at 4pm Wednesday.

Cheers

Kingy
Hi guys thanks for getting stuck in for the aflw season.

Do you think there's any specific training focus that has led to the substantial improvement in marking ability?

Does it feel like we've intentionally stacked our list to have better defenders or have we just developed better there? Feels like it's our best line by a mile.

Feels like a great young group of future players being put together here but with only short contracts available and limited money it may be hard to keep everyone here for that long. Do you have anything thoughts on anything the club or the community can do to make them feel an important piece of our future story and entrench them in the environment?

Might have not carried the one on the time calculation here...

How good was Kearns this week..!! has she been channeling her inner Max Rooke or been watching some highlights?
And a sausage to finish it off too... was 2E running around claiming that one?!?!

I thought the team gave it everything and just came up short. Looking forward to this weeks effort.

Again the skills improvement is awesome to see and the wins wont be far away.

Go Catters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have not carried the one on the time calculation here...

How good was Kearns this week..!! has she been channeling her inner Max Rooke or been watching some highlights?
And a sausage to finish it off too... was 2E running around claiming that one?!?!

I thought the team gave it everything and just came up short. Looking forward to this weeks effort.

Again the skills improvement is awesome to see and the wins wont be far away.

Go Catters.
Fwiw I don't think the skill improvements are as dramatic some, but the game plan is much much better equipped at helping, no more short chip possession style we weren't capable of, longer quicker kicks down the line can hide flaws better (if players go back being the mark too slow we have kicked into the mark or to know one a fair bit still)
Our contested marking was top shelf last week but time and time again we still kicked it right to their spare back.. And the Blues skills moving the ball off half back with switches were really really clean

But I think the skills will go to another level as the confidence grows and the familiarity with each other and playing does.

Fwiw I don't think the skill improvements are as dramatic some, but the game plan is much much better equipped at helping, no more short chip possession style we weren't capable of, longer quicker kicks down the line can hide flaws better (if players go back being the mark too slow we have kicked into the mark or to know one a fair bit still)
Our contested marking was top shelf last week but time and time again we still kicked it right to their spare back.. And the Blues skills moving the ball off half back with switches were really really clean

But I think the skills will go to another level as the confidence grows and the familiarity with each other and playing does.
I know what you're getting at but I think they're wrapped up together. Execution of plans is in itself skill development

I know what you're getting at but I think they're wrapped up together. Execution of plans is in itself skill development
Very true, also I didn't mean to potentially hijack the wrong thread!

Getting in early this time...

So close...yet so far.

Fris is just an electric player. Ive been super impressed by her intent at the ball for a smaller framed player and her skills are top notch with ball in hand.

So glad to see SVH produce perhaps the best bit of play maybe in Cats AFLW history in getting it to Ivey for the goal. Silky and dash!

Kearns is just a missile - seek and destroy and plays her heart out for the team. Luv to see it. Best work like that in the hoops ive seen since Max Rooke ( and as the President of the Max Rooke Appreciation Society thats high praise lol)

Has there been a directive to just attack and take the game at all cost or has it come with a view to defensive accountability as well - IMO its both and its working a treat.

I know this next game is another tough match up but keep cracking in and the W's will follow. So close and im loving the effort from the girls.

GO Catters

K rock Football

All Australian
Jan 4, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL & VFLW, Geelong Falcons
Hi all,

The theme of narrow losses continues for the Cats.

Any questions, comments or criticisms can be directed here by Wednesday 4pm.

First-year defender Annabel Johnson is joining us.

Cheers

Kingy

Last edited:
Had to watch this one on replay but it was SO close. The enjoyment of the impending W will be immense for all when it comes.

Sheer up forward became a real presence and Im hoping Liv Barber is close to getting back that will add another dimension for us going into F 50 in the coming weeks.

Hopeng Nina comes back in too this week for some more drive from the MF. The rain just came at the wrong time for us and changed the game style a bit and we just missed out. So close I can taste it lol

GO Catters

Back