AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Shut up. I like Thy and feel he has a lot to say. I just wish he'd say it.
Me? Just an everyday misogynist, racist, sexist and pharmaceutical engineer.

Discussion is healthy and we're all just a little too precious sometimes. Who cares about feelings when something bigger may be achieved?

Man, we shared stuff for what, 15 years.

We know stuff.

I love you guys/people.

Rise up.

Lead.

People take unnecessary health risks all the time. I just had KFC and it was absolutely awful but great.

AFL as a business needs to protect itself from litigation, absolutely. As long as players know the risks to their health (which are obvious in any extremely physical contact sport), then they can do whatever the **** they want to do.

There's a better way to go about things than walk off, certainly, but I haven't seen the footage and probably won't bother unless I directly come across it.

Not heard anything other than morning radio with Gaz, Watson and Daisy Pearce. Apparently said something of nature he does not like woman's football as thinks it is too rough for girls. Apparently Mo Hope upset and walked out early from some country football night. Sounded like storm in teacup. One crusty old campaigner says something another does not like that it is something they happen to like and do. Daisy Pearce summed it up well in saying if she does not like soccer and calls it boring, some people are not going to like that view and be upset. Yep, storm in a teacup. I think basketball is s**t, lots like it... not end of world stuff... 1 in 100 basketball fans will never talk to me again, their choice, same with Mo's. She probably over sensitive but she is not first person to not like how Malthouse expresses himself and will not be the last. Slow news day, where is a ******* new Carlton trade rumour?

women = over sensitive :thumbsu:
No. You’re doing it again...

I think you’ll find he said Mo Hope was possibly over sensitive. Not all women.

Also, sarcasm is not a good colour on you.

No. You’re doing it again...

I think you’ll find he said Mo Hope was possibly over sensitive. Not all women.

Also, sarcasm is not a good colour on you.

it's what men do - accuse WOMEN of being overly sensitive - as if being sensitive is going to ruin the world - you have 1 more chance, coach

it's what men do - accuse WOMEN of being overly sensitive - as if being sensitive is going to ruin the world - you have 1 more chance, coach
So it’s what all men do? Do you do it?
You need to be the change you want to see, Thy.

oh god, I'm as susceptible to the mores of patriarchy as anyone but I don't want to be a part of it any longer - if a bloke isn't interested in looking at the consequences of patriarchy on women - and by extension men - what am I gonna do, bless em? no, they anger me - * them

See,

My mum, was Jack Hamilton’s, secretary, PA, the other person upstairs, the fastest on the typewriter.

I grew up with her defending this game, as I do.

Sexism, nah.... should be a life member before Jill Lindsay.

Give thanks.

Just a pity Ross Oakley didnt take a shine to her

I realise where I’m headed at the end of this post, but it’s been a while since anyone put me on ignore, so what the heck...

As you know, Thy, I’m a fan of your work. But every time this type of discussion comes up, you turn into everything you’re accusing others of being.
You call yourself an “activist for equality and women’s rights”, but you sound more like the elected spokesperson for every woman on the planet.

The rage, resentment, intolerance, indignation, hostility and division that surrounds these discussions has to stop.

Above all, this “with us or against us” stance is driving a divide between people. We shriek so loudly, and so persistently, that none of us can hear each other. And the longer it goes on, the less we want to.

I should clarify. I admire those, like yourself, who fight for good. Who protest against wrong. I watch on and cheer, however I’ve never marched on anything, nor have I waved a placard. So maybe I’m ignorant.

I feel strongly about “injustice”. However, I’m not a social justice warrior. I’m more your social justice worrier. Worried that there exists, a genuine and concerning lack of justice.

Yet still, I continue to believe in human kindness, common interest, the primacy of the heart, friendship, and decency. These are, however, internal feelings, personal beliefs, not external convictions, or a stance from which I refuse to waiver, or demand that others follow.

I have a natural abhorrence toward racism, homophobia, misogyny, man hating, bullying, bigotry, intolerance or discrimination in any guise. And would want it all to end. And surely that’s a given amongst all of us. At least the majority of us.

My question is, how is such a virtuous goal to be achieved? Preachiness? Piety, self righteousness, denunciation, shaming, accusation, inquisition, censorship?
Maybe. But doubtful.

Hence my objection to the manner in which you argue your case. It appears to embody and embrace all of the above. Ironically, with the intention of combating all of the above.

I want the dream. I want to achieve a fair and just world, where everyone is treated with the respect and value they deserve. I just don’t think this helps. Further more, I see nothing to suggest, it works at all.

One of our greatest human failings, and a significant part of the human condition, is to prefer to be right, than to be effective.

Progress, and decency, are not achieved by preachers, semantics, and guardians of morality. Sometimes our stances are akin to trying to hang on to that snapper. It appears the harder we squeeze on them, the more they slip away from us.

I’m not so concerned with what you call me. Or how you label me. I’m more interested in how I’m treated by you. And how I treat others.

We’ve come a long way. However I feel it has less to do with indignation, and more to do with genuine human decency. There’s still much work to be done. So maybe we should focus less on being “correct” and more on being decent to one another.

Coach.
Bravo. Well said.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

yeah i mean thats exactly what we said. verbatim. I never said women shouldnt take part, I said the AFL probably will make modifications to the rules specific to the womens game if needed to protect itself as much as them. Its the nature of things these days.

We could equally say thank god you guys are here to look out for them.

Are waivers worth the paper they are written on when push comes to shove?

this might be more a Malifice thing, if hes ever around any more :p

Like any employer, your employer (the club and the AFL in general) owe a duty of care to their employees.

Most legal actions in sport re injury I've heard of generally involves an allegation by the player that there was a breach of the duty of care (think repeated concussions and then being sent back out to play, or complaints re dodgy playing surfaces).

From memory Shaun Rehn (ex Adelaide ruckman) sued the AFL (and the Crows) for a knee injury he sustained when they bodgied up a giant plastic disc in the middle of the ground (the idiots put it right where the ruck contest happens, causing him to slip over and do his knee).

Basically a player is stopped from suing his club if injured, due to the legal doctrine of 'volenti non fit injuria' (lawyer Latin for 'voluntary assumption of risk/ no injury to the willing'), unless there was also some kind of negligence from the club/ AFL/ medicos etc.

Waivers (expressly waiving the right to sue for negligence) are... tricky. They can be effective in certain circumstances (subject to statues such as the Australian Consumer Law, Employment legislation and so forth). Generally speaking, they need to be brought to your attention clearly and expressly, and dont cover 'reckless' conduct on behalf of the party seeking to rely on the waiver.

I'd be pretty surprised if the AFLPA allowed such clauses in their playing contracts to be honest. That's where you would find them if they existed.

I realise where I’m headed at the end of this post, but it’s been a while since anyone put me on ignore, so what the heck...

As you know, Thy, I’m a fan of your work. But every time this type of discussion comes up, you turn into everything you’re accusing others of being.
You call yourself an “activist for equality and women’s rights”, but you sound more like the elected spokesperson for every woman on the planet.

The rage, resentment, intolerance, indignation, hostility and division that surrounds these discussions has to stop.

Above all, this “with us or against us” stance is driving a divide between people. We shriek so loudly, and so persistently, that none of us can hear each other. And the longer it goes on, the less we want to.

I should clarify. I admire those, like yourself, who fight for good. Who protest against wrong. I watch on and cheer, however I’ve never marched on anything, nor have I waved a placard. So maybe I’m ignorant.

I feel strongly about “injustice”. However, I’m not a social justice warrior. I’m more your social justice worrier. Worried that there exists, a genuine and concerning lack of justice.

Yet still, I continue to believe in human kindness, common interest, the primacy of the heart, friendship, and decency. These are, however, internal feelings, personal beliefs, not external convictions, or a stance from which I refuse to waiver, or demand that others follow.

I have a natural abhorrence toward racism, homophobia, misogyny, man hating, bullying, bigotry, intolerance or discrimination in any guise. And would want it all to end. And surely that’s a given amongst all of us. At least the majority of us.

My question is, how is such a virtuous goal to be achieved? Preachiness? Piety, self righteousness, denunciation, shaming, accusation, inquisition, censorship?
Maybe. But doubtful.

Hence my objection to the manner in which you argue your case. It appears to embody and embrace all of the above. Ironically, with the intention of combating all of the above.

I want the dream. I want to achieve a fair and just world, where everyone is treated with the respect and value they deserve. I just don’t think this helps. Further more, I see nothing to suggest, it works at all.

One of our greatest human failings, and a significant part of the human condition, is to prefer to be right, than to be effective.

Progress, and decency, are not achieved by preachers, semantics, and guardians of morality. Sometimes our stances are akin to trying to hang on to that snapper. It appears the harder we squeeze on them, the more they slip away from us.

I’m not so concerned with what you call me. Or how you label me. I’m more interested in how I’m treated by you. And how I treat others.

We’ve come a long way. However I feel it has less to do with indignation, and more to do with genuine human decency. There’s still much work to be done. So maybe we should focus less on being “correct” and more on being decent to one another.

Coach.
One the more rounded out, balanced posts I have read in a long time. Beautifully written. Are you a writer?

This part stood out for me the most for it rung true:

"One of our greatest human failings, and a significant part of the human condition, is to prefer to be right, than to be effective"

I will add to that in saying a common psychological trait that humans possess, which is detrimental to progression, is to:

"reject before being rejected".

If only we could be more aware that we are doing that and learn to let things go.

Always a pleasure to read your work, keep posting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly (and ironically), it was Mo's girlfriend who described the comments as sickening, not Mo.

sickening
adjective
  1. causing or liable to cause a feeling of nausea or disgust.
    "a sickening stench of blood"
    synonyms: nauseating, stomach-turning, stomach-churning, repulsive, revolting, disgusting, repellent, repugnant, appalling, abominable, hideous, horrible, awful, dreadful, terrible, obnoxious, nauseous, vile, nasty, foul, loathsome, offensive, objectionable, off-putting, distasteful, disagreeable, uninviting
    • INFORMAL
      causing great annoyance or disappointment.

I can understand Moana's reaction. All her life she was told that football was a man's game, and to have that attitude peddled in front of her and a room full of impressionable children would be incredibly frustrating. I wish she had been able to articulate her thoughts in that moment but I can empathise with her being overcome with frustration and emotion.

When I was younger, it was always men who had a seat at the 'big boys' table' in business. I fought very hard early in my career to be taken seriously, and one day I was given the opportunity to represent my employer at EBA negotiations. I sat across the table from members of four different unions--all men--and steeled myself for the biggest challenge of my career to date. One of them quite seriously gave me his coffee order because he'd assumed that I was the secretary/waitress. I was infuriated. Did I get up and walk out? No. Did I say my piece? Also no. When you're told over and over again that you don't belong or your voice isn't valued, when you finally do get a chance it is incredibly intimidating to take it.

I can understand Moana's reaction. All her life she was told that football was a man's game, and to have that attitude peddled in front of her and a room full of impressionable children would be incredibly frustrating. I wish she had been able to articulate her thoughts in that moment but I can empathise with her being overcome with frustration and emotion.

When I was younger, it was always men who had a seat at the 'big boys' table' in business. I fought very hard early in my career to be taken seriously, and one day I was given the opportunity to represent my employer at EBA negotiations. I sat across the table from members of four different unions--all men--and steeled myself for the biggest challenge of my career to date. One of them quite seriously gave me his coffee order because he'd assumed that I was the secretary/waitress. I was infuriated. Did I get up and walk out? No. Did I say my piece? Also no. When you're told over and over again that you don't belong or your voice isn't valued, when you finally do get a chance it is incredibly intimidating to take it.
Incredibly valid point, and true of any new entrant coming up against the established order of things.

Additionally, as a footy player she'll likely have a tendency to ride emotions in order to drive physical performance, coming across as being a bit hot-headed, melodramatic, etc.

Works great out on the football field (to a point), but doesn't work in a dialogue or discussion.

Both of these combined makes it pretty challenging (and she doesn't strike me as a great communicator at the best of times either).

Now we've got our first father-daughter selection for AFLW, does this mean one day we might have a mother-son selection for AFL?
Apparently, yes.

Who knows when or what the criteria will be.

But I love it. It's so unique to our game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Love that we have a father/daughter selection on the list.

With the AFL trying to be a business, it is nice to have some connections that are not $ related.

so much for this thread staying on the main page Aphrodite :mad:

AFLW tweaks rules to promote more scoring

"Ten new rules and interpretations were tabled at a competition committee meeting in Melbourne on Wednesday and will be introduced for the 2019 season. The women’s competition will adopt eight of the nine rule tweaks made for the men’s league next season."

Last edited:
so much for this thread staying on the main page Aphrodite :mad:

AFLW tweaks rules to promote more scoring

"Ten new rules and interpretations were tabled at a competition committee meeting in Melbourne on Wednesday and will be introduced for the 2019 season. The women’s competition will adopt eight of the nine rule tweaks made for the men’s league next season."

Moved it back here because it ended up half way down on page 2 and would have got lost forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back