AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

8 players to be delisted by each club, which can be re-drafted if other clubs don't snatch them first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_AFL_Women's_draft

Prior to the completion of the 2019 season, future expansion clubs Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast were permitted to pre-list up to 10 players from their women's academies or designated development zones.

A maximum of seven of these players could be open-age signings who had nominated for the 2018 AFL Women's draft but not been selected. A final three spots were reserved for three junior players of minimum draft age (born in 2001) and who hailed from the clubs' designated development regions.

At least we can counter with 2 year contract offers now... but I'm sure there will be a limit on those and we'd be using them for core players anyway.

So, if Davey walks out who will be our captain?

Vice-captain Katie Loynes and fellow leaders Shae Audley, Darcy Vescio, Sarah Hosking & Kerryn Harrington

And we've already delisted Shae Audley.

Katie Loynes would make a great choice, tough player who is also a teacher and served as vice captain this season. Sadly she just turned 32 during the season so her captaincy wouldn't be longlasting, perhaps only two seasons, could potentially be a good candidate for co-captain with someone younger.

Darcy Vescio doesn't seem like as much of a vocal onfield leader and tends to be stuck up one end of the ground, her role and playstyle doens't lend its self to 'lead by example' captaincy either not being an inside player.

Sarah Hosking was vice captain for two seasons, plays in the midfield but might not be serious enough to be captain, like Vescio is quite a bit of a joker and morale booster though.

Kerryn Harrington is still new to the game having only played two seasons, but is an All Australian this season and now a general of our backline. No doubt is a leader at the club in terms of training, coming from national level basketball.

The other option is Maddy Prespakis, it might be too much for a second year player (next season) who is still new to the group. However she did captain the Calder Cannons to a flag in 2018 and was captain of the Vic Metro team in the U19 national championships.

Loynes & Prespakis co-captains could work.

Of course, only if Davey leaves us.

Last edited:
I think Sarah, Kerryn or Darcy are the choices. Don't underestimate Darcy's push to become regular presence in the midfield.

Hosking has to lift preparation standards to set the level of example she's capable of, but she's far from alone there. If she can pick up 15-20 touches a game next year, we'll all be very pleased by what she does with the footy.

We really need a genuine key defender to allow Harrington to push into midfield.

So, if Davey walks out who will be our captain?

Vice-captain Katie Loynes and fellow leaders Shae Audley, Darcy Vescio, Sarah Hosking & Kerryn Harrington

And we've already delisted Shae Audley.

Katie Loynes would make a great choice, tough player who is also a teacher and served as vice captain this season. Sadly she just turned 32 during the season so her captaincy wouldn't be longlasting, perhaps only two seasons, could potentially be a good candidate for co-captain with someone younger.

Darcy Vescio doesn't seem like as much of a vocal onfield leader and tends to be stuck up one end of the ground, her role and playstyle doens't lend its self to 'lead by example' captaincy either not being an inside player.

Sarah Hosking was vice captain for two seasons, plays in the midfield but might not be serious enough to be captain, like Vescio is quite a bit of a joker and morale booster though.

Kerryn Harrington is still new to the game having only played two seasons, but is an All Australian this season and now a general of our backline. No doubt is a leader at the club in terms of training, coming from national level basketball.

The other option is Maddy Prespakis, it might be too much for a second year player (next season) who is still new to the group. However she did captain the Calder Cannons to a flag in 2018 and was captain of the Vic Metro team in the U19 national championships.

Loynes & Prespakis co-captains could work.

Of course, only if Davey leaves us.

From someone with no particular insider insights, I would suggest Harrington has captaincy material written all over her. Just the way she prepares, her toughness, poise and consistency as well as her competitiveness would leave me in no doubt that she would set the example you would want others to follow. A clear standout for mine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll start with the positive: I was seated at a table full of women who are very influential in women's sport and have had interesting and inspiring careers. We were all like minded and the event has spurred us on to agitate for change.

The negative:

As I said, Megan Gale was the key speaker. She had a half an hour interview that was so lame it could be published in Women's Weekly. She was speaking to a room full of women, many of whom in their early 20s, who are involved in women's footy. Speaking about motherhood for 15 minutes was completely inappropriate and did not resonate with at least half of the attendees. She referenced how 'lucky' she was to be married to a man who changes nappies--spare me--and the interviewer referred to becoming a mother as 'me time'. You could almost HEAR the eyes rolling. I could go on for hours, but essentially it boiled down women's contribution to sport as partners of players--to an audience of women who have been fighting against being treated as window dressing for years!

Gil Mclachlan thanked her for her speech and said 'I bet all the women in here are having flash backs to the birthing suite!' and my head just about exploded.

I'll start with the positive: I was seated at a table full of women who are very influential in women's sport and have had interesting and inspiring careers. We were all like minded and the event has spurred us on to agitate for change.

The negative:

As I said, Megan Gale was the key speaker. She had a half an hour interview that was so lame it could be published in Women's Weekly. She was speaking to a room full of women, many of whom in their early 20s, who are involved in women's footy. Speaking about motherhood for 15 minutes was completely inappropriate and did not resonate with at least half of the attendees. She referenced how 'lucky' she was to be married to a man who changes nappies--spare me--and the interviewer referred to becoming a mother as 'me time'. You could almost HEAR the eyes rolling. I could go on for hours, but essentially it boiled down women's contribution to sport as partners of players--to an audience of women who have been fighting against being treated as window dressing for years!

Gil Mclachlan thanked her for her speech and said 'I bet all the women in here are having flash backs to the birthing suite!' and my head just about exploded.
****in' tosspot. Put me down for some agitation for change.

The negative:

Gil can’t read any situation correctly, this is just another example.

What a waste of an opportunity

1. why was she even there? relevance?
2. read the ******* room?
3. talk about training wheels afl.............w
1. Wouldn't have a CLUE. So many other trailblazing, inspiring women they could have chosen
2. Exactly
3. It wasn't a strictly AFLW event, it was for women in men and women's football, but I didn't know that anyone on the proper Carlton board would give a s**t

Sidenote: I forgot to mention the 5 minute spiel from Megan about SKIN CARE PRODUCTS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back